Sony Encouraging SmartWatch 2 Development

Mobile device companies like selling devices–it’s how they make their money and … more

Easily Toggles Your Lollipop Mobile Data Network Type

Android Lollipop is by good margin the most advanced and refinedversion of … more

Unofficial CM12 for Android One, Disabling Encryption on Nexus 6 – XDA TV

Android One devices have received an Unofficial CyanogenMod … more

Pushbullet Universal Copy/Paste Availabe for Linux, Mac OS X

Pushbullet is one of those useful utilities that once installed, permanently … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] unrevoked forever broke my mms (twice)

OP deepsix_69

21st December 2010, 07:58 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 18

149 posts
I have a desire (cdma) i have tried using unrevoked and unrevoked forever to obtain s-off. I have tried on 2 different phones. Both times, after making no other changes, I lose the abilitity to send mms. I can run unrevoked, and mms will work. I run the update to get s-off and it no longer works. Is there something I am doing wrong, is there any troubleshooting I could do?
20th January 2011, 02:32 PM   |  #2  
Flag Virginia Beach, VA
Thanks Meter: 0

27 posts
More
Lightbulb
I know this issue is a month old, but we may have solved it last night on the unrevoked IRC channel.

I had the same problem, and it turned out it was because unrevoked overwrote my phone's carrier ID and it was using the MMS protocol settings for another company.

The guide here will tell you how to edit your BCID, but it doesn't say how to find the right one if you're already having the problem. http://home.kennynet.co.uk/~kenny/bcid-fix.txt

unrevoked had changed mine to UTSI_005 when it was meant to be UTSI_019. I happened to know my correct one from my previous phone, and some versions of stock CDMA ROMs have a list buried somewhere in them.

If anyone is still having this problem, which is only likely to happen with people on carriers with outsourced MMS gateways like Interop, I'll see if I can get the list.
20th January 2011, 05:10 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

149 posts
Im still having the problem. I am on a small regional carrier --Inland Cellular. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I had basically given up on trying to fix it. They are supposed to release a RUU for froyo here soon, and I was hoping that would fix the issue, then I could put cyanogen back on.

Thanks
20th January 2011, 05:40 PM   |  #4  
Flag Virginia Beach, VA

27 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsix_69

Im still having the problem. I am on a small regional carrier --Inland Cellular. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I had basically given up on trying to fix it. They are supposed to release a RUU for froyo here soon, and I was hoping that would fix the issue, then I could put cyanogen back on.

Thanks

The RUU may not update the /misc partition which is where the problem is. Assuming there's not another carrier named Inland Cellular and your carrier's website is inland3g.com, then they do use Interop and your problem is probably the same as mine was. According to the "telephony.db" file from the generic CDMA 2.1 RUU for the HTC Hero, your CID is UTSI_016. This is a carrier ID assigned by UTStarcom for CDMA interoperability and shouldn't change between handset models. To fix this:

Follow the instructions I linked above.
When you do the "getprop ro.cid" make sure it's something other than "UTSI_016" to confirm this is the most likely culprit.
When you get to the hex editing step, also make sure the first 8 bytes aren't "UTSI_016".
If it is the same problem, your "getprop ro.cid" and first 8 bytes of misc.img will probably be "UTSI_005".
Correct the string to "UTSI_016" and follow the directions to flash the corrected misc.img back.

You do need to already have the right MMS server address and port settings for your carrier programmed. If you've been wrestling with this for a while, I figure you've already verified those.

We just stumbled on this last night and as far as I know I'm the only test case so far, so I can't take responsibility if you brick your phone. I'd suggest joining #unrevokedtest on irc.freenode.net for more assistance.
20th January 2011, 05:56 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

149 posts
Yep thats the right carrier. I have all the apn info, so that part shouldnt be a problem.

I do have one request if you are able to and its not too hard.

I have had problems with adb on my computer, so I have done everything through terminal on the phone and manaully moving/editing files through the root explorer.

Any chance you can modify your directions to use those methods.

If not, I guess its a good time to figure out adb a little better.

Thanks again.
20th January 2011, 06:47 PM   |  #6  
Flag Virginia Beach, VA

27 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsix_69

Any chance you can modify your directions to use those methods.

Sorry, I didn't write them. Someone else wrote them to fix a different problem and they just happened to work for this. But I think ADB will be pretty much mandatory for the dumping and flashing parts. They have to be done in some kind of command shell.
22nd January 2011, 07:40 AM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member

149 posts
alright i got adb all setup and working. But I am having problems right from the getgo.

I type the first command ($ /system/__unrevoked_su) and it returns and error. I tried reloading a stock rom, rerunning unrevoked and rooting it to see if a file gets created when unrevoked is ran, but I still get an error. It returns a /system/__unrevoked_su not found.

update: i did some playing around was able to verify utsi_005 so it looks like I have the same problem. But I cant complete moving/editing any of the files becuase they dont exist for some reason.

Any ideas.
Last edited by deepsix_69; 22nd January 2011 at 08:10 AM.
22nd January 2011, 09:40 AM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member

149 posts
Red face
OKAY, I got it to work, I had to modify your directions to get it to work for some reason, just in case someone else is having problems.

What I did was install a hexeditor on my phone. Open up sdcard/misc.img edited it for the correct UTSI_016 then saved as /sdcard/new-misc.img then entered adb
$ su
# /data/local/flash_image misc /sdcard/new-misc.img
# exit

reran unrevoked and it worked just fine.

On a side note, I suspect I could have followed your directions directly had I used a $ su instead of $ /system/__unrevoked_su but by the time i figured it out, i was already pretty close to doing it without using adb at all.

Thanks again for the help, I would have never got that figured out without your info. Now time to restore my cyanogen mod 7 and restore some apn info.
Last edited by deepsix_69; 22nd January 2011 at 09:50 AM.
22nd January 2011, 04:31 PM   |  #9  
Flag Virginia Beach, VA

27 posts
More
If you re-ran unrevoked after flashing the new misc.img, it may have put it back to the wrong info.

Let me know how this went, I'm quite interested in whether this is going to be a common problem for CDMA Desire users.
22nd January 2011, 05:01 PM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member

149 posts
Well by re ran, i quess I meant I ran it once. I was rooted which broke the MMS, I updated the img file and ran unrevoked in order to fix the mms.

It worked excellent though, I would assume its a wide spread problem for certain carriers. I know it happened to 2 different phone for the carrier I am on.

I flashed cyanogen again, and its being a little difficult getting mms to work, but thats a different issue, and I am sure i will be able to get the right solution after playing/searching/reading.

Thanks again.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread