[ZIP][DEV][ROM] Nookie Froyo 0.6.8 (02/15) CWM flashable!

Search This thread

cicada

Nov 7, 2009
Denver, CO
Nookie Froyo 0.6.8

is a development build of Froyo 2.2.1 for the Nook Color.

ClockworkMod flashable! - info below, please *read carefully* before flashing!

This build is near-AOSP and contains almost no extra software not deemed required for the device to function normally.

It is pre-rooted with SuperUser, busybox, SoftKeys v3.07, and ROM Manager 3.0.0.5 however.

The eventual intention will be a build that other devs and users can easily fork and create their own custom builds, themes, roms, etc.

** THIS IS A DEVELOPMENT BUILD **

Use this at your own risk! Myself, XDA, and NookDevs are *NOT RESPONSIBLE* for anything that happens directly or indirectly related to this software!

We're approaching a daily driver! Most things work now, including mp3 and video playback. Post any bugs you find here!

I'd like to thank all the nook color devs involved in getting to this state, testing, documenting, etc. We've got an amazing group of minds behind this device!

INFO

The microSD card image contains 4 partitions:

/dev/block/mmcblk1p1 : boot (fat32)
/dev/block/mmcblk1p2 : system (ext2)
/dev/block/mmcblk1p3 : data (ext3)
/dev/block/mmcblk1p4 : sdcard (fat32)

Use these partition IDs when following guides that require mounting/remounting filesystems.

What's Working:

• MP3 playback
  • Video playback
  • Youtube, Pandora and other mp4 streaming apps (apps not included)
  • Accelerometer!
  • Wifi (adhoc + infrastructure!)
  • Graphics acceleration (LWP!)
  • Sound
  • Browser

Mostly working
  • Lockscreen is wrong size - REBOOT to fix

Not included / Not working
  • gapps ( gmail, youtube, maps, etc ) - can be installed, youtube fixed!
  • Bluetooth
  • FM radio

This build was created using the B&N kernel sources for 1.0.0, Omappedia's Froyo source ( currently RLS27.9.0.RC0 ), and binary drivers from TI for wireless, SGX530 acceleration, and DSP codecs.

Download:

This SD image requires a 2GB microSD card! Bigger is OK, smaller is not ok!

Note: if you wish to use a larger microSD card, you can use a partition editor to increase the size of the /sdcard partition (partition 4, fat32) *after* writing the image to your card.

Simply unzip this image and dd the file to your (empty) SD card, just like nooter.

nookie-froyo-SDIMAGE_2GB-0.5.1.gz 76459ec18fd32885257a3c8b7dbb2b76

nookie-froyo-SDIMAGE_2GB-0.5.6.img.gz 74e5310bcc21edf326bdc73a5652c124

nookie-froyo-SDIMAGE_2GB-0.5.8.img.gz 15158e735517c209a8f2ed14683a589c

nookie-froyo-SDIMAGE_2GB-0.5.9.img.gz 7d30f56eeede98ee1e99a0766f69dea3

nookie-froyo-SDIMAGE_2GB-0.6.6.img.gz fc58aa06fcfe1f46939ab72e38292abe

nookie-froyo-SDIMAGE_2GB-0.6.7.img.gz 92ef91dbac7a7baad3999256597b7920

nookie-froyo-SDIMAGE_2GB-0.6.8.img.gz
MD5: 18e7cc8393681ec590f698b7a671e859

If you want to customize your SD card, upgrade an already burned Nookie Froyo SD, live on the edge and burn it into your eMMC, or just want to poke around, download the base filesystem:

nookie-froyo-base-0.5.1.tar.gz 3e95a33e3926bc88011e66a724dccf8f
nookie-froyo-base-0.5.6.tar.gz 4419b21dd8eb56f6a6537345aa1c8ba1
nookie-froyo-base-0.5.8.tar.gz 2c279dbdaa6aad480590d55e48abf8ca
nookie-froyo-base-0.5.9.tar.gz 093a964685f0cbea2ef1aa8f6f0d7581
nookie-froyo-base-0.6.6.tar.gz 2304e337c351c667f27eb9aa4c3791b8
nookie-froyo-base-0.6.7.tar.gz 99b6a9d991951c368cf1f6b3429be958

nookie-froyo-base-0.6.8.tar.gz
MD5 c3c7aea7cdf8a3dde32acc1694f633aa

This archive also contains an uncompressed ramdisk image which you can easily edit, package, and copy to your boot partition.

ClockworkMod Flashable ZIP!

*IMPORTANT*
- please wipe data/factory reset if you're coming from B&N stock firmware or another rom!!
- please see other threads about installing and using CWM recovery - keep this thread to NF issues please
- this has been tested only using CWM 3.0.0.5 downloaded from market, be warned it may not work with IOMonster's kit or other versions. Let us know if you try and it does!
- replaces kernel and ramdisk - if you were using an alternate kernel you'll need to reflash it.
- This will irrevocably erase and replace the software on your eMMC! MAKE BACKUPS BEFORE FLASHING, you have been warned.

If you're upgrading from an older version of Nookie Froyo, you should not have to wipe - however if you do have problems *wipe data* and try again.

*IMPORTANT* - this zip does not require any extra steps such as formatting /boot, changing system permissions, and does not replace or remove CWM. If you are coming from a ROM that required these extra steps and are having issues, *please post your questions there* so the dev can be prompted to correct those issues properly.

If you're coming from a rom that doesn't support CWM properly see the following thread:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=11437545

Installing /system will take some time, and the progress bar doesn't update in realtime; you haven't 'locked up', just be patient as it may take a few minutes.

nookie-froyo-flashable-0.6.6.zip 6f61a464483ecf45d6e6e2d199b44d6c

nookie-froyo-flashable-0.6.7.zip 9bd13877addbad725a5bfe1eb13412df

nookie-froyo-flashable-0.6.8.zip
MD5: 03544d6a5a52eebdb468c89a5a2581e9

Please do not PM me for help, that's what this forum and the IRC rooms are for - I simply do not have the time to answer all of your questions, and asking them in a public forum will allow others with the same issue to help or learn from your experience!

CHANGELOG

v 0.5.6
  • permissions corrected on /system/bin/input for SoftKeys
  • corrected default cpu governor to conservative
  • added SuperUser
  • added busybox 1.17.2
  • added SoftKeys 3.00 ( thanks bpk! )
  • AdHoc WIFI support enabled
  • crypto/cryptofs added in kernel for ASEC support (required for installing some apks such as Angry Birds)

v 0.5.8
  • uses the /cache partition on eMMC instead of combining with data
  • replaces u-boot.bin to remove the 'touch the future..' splash (trademark)
  • increased refresh rate to improve responsiveness and reduce flicker (see tips in the next post)
  • added sensors lib - accelerometer works!

v 0.5.9
  • default web browser FC fix - no longer dies on location requests!

v 0.6.6
  • Youtube, Pandora, and other streaming media should now work.
  • added codecs for more media formats - including hw accelerated mp3 and video
  • vold reverted - no more broken SD card message
  • flashable zip!
  • updated SoftKeys to 3.07
  • fixed a /cache issue which sometimes prevented market downloads

v 0.6.7
  • SD card mount fixed - please post if you continue to have issues
  • Added back Mms, Phone, Camera, Telephony apks to resolve missing apps in Market - more apps should be available
  • Modified CWM zip reliability

v 0.6.8
  • Corrected improper handling of Format SD Card option - no longer formats /boot!
  • Touchscreen enhancements - no need to toggle screen on boot and better responsiveness around the edges - thanks deeper-blue!

Please see the updated issues/workarounds list in the following post

For more information, sources, and install instructions, please see:
http://nookdevs.com/NookColor:_Nookie_Froyo

Need help? Want to contribute? Join us in IRC! irc.freenode.net
#nookcolor - general chat, questions, ask for help here
#nookie - development

Last edited:

cicada

Nov 7, 2009
Denver, CO
Do not try to Format SD card from Settings -> SD & Phone storage!
- there is currently a bug that causes the system to format the /boot partition instead of /sdcard when this option is used, leaving your NC unbootable. Format your SD card in your PC or another device if you need to!
- fixed in 0.6.8!

FIRST BOOT TIPS -
  • On first boot, Launcher and SoftKeys will fight for control of the home intent - that is, when you boot the first time, your NC will ask you to pick your home activity.
  • *CHOOSE LAUNCHER* at first (DO NOT select 'always use this action'), and let the system boot and stabilize (3-4 minutes).
  • Hit Home (the N button). You'll be asked to choose your activity again, this time choose SoftKeys.
  • Try using one of the SU-required buttons (back or menu), and after a few moments SuperUser will prompt you to accept the action.
  • SoftKeys 3.06+ now prompt for SU permission at startup, just accept the superuser prompt when it pops, you'll still want to let the system stabilize for a minute or two.

If SoftKeys fails to ask for SU permissions, "Unable to execute as root":
  • Go to Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications -> 'All'
  • Select SoftKeys from the list
  • 'Force close' Softkeys if it's running, then 'Clear defaults'
  • Hit the N button, choose SoftKeys when prompted to choose your home action, accept the SU prompt when it pops.

Workarounds for some known bugs/issues:

• (default in 0.5.8+) Improved Refresh-rate (no flicker! thanks [mbm]!): this should set the refresh rate to 68hz, the supposed default for the Nook Color's LCD panel -
    Code:
    adb shell echo 68000,1024/70/200/40,600/10/11/10 > /sys/devices/omapdss/display0/timings
  • Browser: force closes when opening a website that tries to use location services, due to the missing GPS. Try browsing to a url by typing in the google search box, and if you can get into the browser menu changing your homepage away from google will stop it from FC'ing on open.

• Lockscreen wrong size: Simply reboot to correct this.

• Touchscreen is slow/unresponsive:
  • (fixed in 0.5.6 w/included SoftKeys 3.00) No buttons! Try: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=860153

• (fixed in 0.5.6) SoftKeys - in 0.5.1 softkeys' buttons do not work due to a permissions issue. To fix, do:
    Code:
    adb shell mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk1p2 /system
    adb shell chmod 0755 /system/bin/input

Please post issues/workarounds/bugs in this thread, I'll try to keep this list updated.

Last edited:

fattire

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 11, 2010
www.eff.org
To answer from the other thread...

Timeframe-- well, this isn't me doing this. But I think the devs just want to take the edges off, so be patient... I'm just the messenger on the news that it's been done. This is other people's accomplishment.

In fact, froyo was done weeks ago, though not entirely from open-source/freely distributed components like this (as far as I know).

To answer some questions--

BT not working, FM not working, accellerometer not working. Softkeys should work... dont' see why not anyway. It's stock froyo. No gapps, no Superuser.apk, no nothing over and above AOSP. Overclocking not in but should be possible... video playback hasn't been tried (it's early still!).... battery life who knows I haven't even had a chance to let it run down... I posted because the news was "out" anyway. I also can't compare to stock because I've never run stock, believe it or not. But it's based on the same kernel 2.6.29. It boots off a SD partitioned for system, data, cache, and sdcard. Only thing (I think) it touches on the internal storage is resetting that boot counter, otherwise you'd only get 7 boots at a time. Doesn't need much space. 2GB should be enough. That's what phones have anyway. Guess it depends what you want to do with it. Performance is decent, not steller compared to my g2 at least. Will benefit from OC.

@fattire

Questions on everyone's (well, mine at least) mind... please answer as much as you can, and a big big thank you!!!

1. Is BT working?
2. Is FM working?
3. Can we still use SoftKeys for hardware key emulation?
4. Can we overclock the processor?
5. How's the video playback?
6. How's the battery life compared to stock?
7. Since you're booting from SD, does that mean the internal memory of the NC remains untouched, should we need to boot stock?

and

8. How does the device feel overall?

nemith

Jun 20, 2010
I got my SD to boot tonight! :)

It defiantly isn't for the faint of heart but it seems to work well enough as a good base to start on. Pretty snappy to boot.

I would like to emphasize that this is VERY rough around the edges and if you aren't planning on hacking with the kernel, or code, or attempting to make your own rom then this is NOT for you.

http://i.imgur.com/WRyNV.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/H4ahM.jpg

Defiantly awesome work (and pure AOSP + TI drivers) which means no propritary B&N bits :)

nikescar

Jan 9, 2008
Indiana
Thanks for releasing such and early build to the public. It's not often you see that.

(I won't even consider playing with this build)

iconoclastnet

Apr 22, 2010
Does this include a working JIT or is that one of the things in progress?

That seems to be one of the more compelling things from froyo (at least for a device with more internal storage than a nexus one). I would expect (well, hope anyway) that the froyo JIT would have a noticeable impact on the speed...

Novarider

Jul 20, 2010
Since this runs off the sdcard can you power down the NC and remove the sdcard and boot normally?

rogerdugans

Dec 8, 2010
I am not a developer.
I am not likely to become one at this stage of the game...

I am, however, either brave or stupid because I am downloading the image and will see if it will boot on my NC.

I do this because:
A) I want to SEE froyo running on my NC, and
2) If I have any problems, feedback might help the devs

I love seeing all the progress that has been made on these things. :)

rogerdugans

Dec 8, 2010
Just rebooted back to my regular rooted NC system after pulling the sdcard and can only say-
Marvelous.

Yes, it is slow, no keyboard and all of the other things that were spoken of in the initial posts, but IT WORKS.

I don't have time to do much else with it right at the moment, but I will mess with it more later.

jay084

Dec 5, 2010
I tested flash and it does work.. The flash plugin is not included in the build however, I had to find it and install it via ADB.

Could you post the flash plugin you used? I would really appreciate it. Could you also comment on the quality of flash videos online. I'd like to watch espn3 on the nook...in bed...lol

bbtheory

Jul 31, 2010
Washington, D.C.
OK, so I booted the rom, and followed the instructions at nookdevs...

Installing superuser.apk and pushing su seemed to work just fine!!!

Softkeys installed and got superuser permissions and works as well.

Installed astro file manager, and that works fine too...

At that point, I wanted to mount the usb storage and move over a bunch of APK files... mounted the nook and could only see the mlo, img file etc... no problem creating an apk folder and putting files in there, but then I can't see that folder when I look for it in astro....

Any info on simply copying files via USB using this build?

Also, thanks to all the devs for the awesome work... looking forward to playing around with this more!!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Nookie Froyo 0.6.8

is a development build of Froyo 2.2.1 for the Nook Color.

ClockworkMod flashable! - info below, please *read carefully* before flashing!

This build is near-AOSP and contains almost no extra software not deemed required for the device to function normally.

It is pre-rooted with SuperUser, busybox, SoftKeys v3.07, and ROM Manager 3.0.0.5 however.

The eventual intention will be a build that other devs and users can easily fork and create their own custom builds, themes, roms, etc.

** THIS IS A DEVELOPMENT BUILD **

Use this at your own risk! Myself, XDA, and NookDevs are *NOT RESPONSIBLE* for anything that happens directly or indirectly related to this software!

We're approaching a daily driver! Most things work now, including mp3 and video playback. Post any bugs you find here!

I'd like to thank all the nook color devs involved in getting to this state, testing, documenting, etc. We've got an amazing group of minds behind this device!

INFO

The microSD card image contains 4 partitions:

/dev/block/mmcblk1p1 : boot (fat32)
    /dev/block/mmcblk1p2 : system (ext2)
    /dev/block/mmcblk1p3 : data (ext3)
    /dev/block/mmcblk1p4 : sdcard (fat32)

Use these partition IDs when following guides that require mounting/remounting filesystems.

What's Working:

• MP3 playback
    • Video playback
    • Youtube, Pandora and other mp4 streaming apps (apps not included)
    • Accelerometer!
    • Wifi (adhoc + infrastructure!)
    • Graphics acceleration (LWP!)
    • Sound
    • Browser

Mostly working
    • Lockscreen is wrong size - REBOOT to fix

Not included / Not working
    • gapps ( gmail, youtube, maps, etc ) - can be installed, youtube fixed!
    • Bluetooth
    • FM radio

This build was created using the B&N kernel sources for 1.0.0, Omappedia's Froyo source ( currently RLS27.9.0.RC0 ), and binary drivers from TI for wireless, SGX530 acceleration, and DSP codecs.

Download:

This SD image requires a 2GB microSD card! Bigger is OK, smaller is not ok!

Note: if you wish to use a larger microSD card, you can use a partition editor to increase the size of the /sdcard partition (partition 4, fat32) *after* writing the image to your card.

Simply unzip this image and dd the file to your (empty) SD card, just like nooter.

nookie-froyo-SDIMAGE_2GB-0.5.1.gz 76459ec18fd32885257a3c8b7dbb2b76

nookie-froyo-SDIMAGE_2GB-0.5.6.img.gz 74e5310bcc21edf326bdc73a5652c124

nookie-froyo-SDIMAGE_2GB-0.5.8.img.gz 15158e735517c209a8f2ed14683a589c

nookie-froyo-SDIMAGE_2GB-0.5.9.img.gz 7d30f56eeede98ee1e99a0766f69dea3

nookie-froyo-SDIMAGE_2GB-0.6.6.img.gz fc58aa06fcfe1f46939ab72e38292abe

nookie-froyo-SDIMAGE_2GB-0.6.7.img.gz 92ef91dbac7a7baad3999256597b7920

nookie-froyo-SDIMAGE_2GB-0.6.8.img.gz
    MD5: 18e7cc8393681ec590f698b7a671e859

If you want to customize your SD card, upgrade an already burned Nookie Froyo SD, live on the edge and burn it into your eMMC, or just want to poke around, download the base filesystem:

nookie-froyo-base-0.5.1.tar.gz 3e95a33e3926bc88011e66a724dccf8f
    nookie-froyo-base-0.5.6.tar.gz 4419b21dd8eb56f6a6537345aa1c8ba1
    nookie-froyo-base-0.5.8.tar.gz 2c279dbdaa6aad480590d55e48abf8ca
    nookie-froyo-base-0.5.9.tar.gz 093a964685f0cbea2ef1aa8f6f0d7581
    nookie-froyo-base-0.6.6.tar.gz 2304e337c351c667f27eb9aa4c3791b8
    nookie-froyo-base-0.6.7.tar.gz 99b6a9d991951c368cf1f6b3429be958

nookie-froyo-base-0.6.8.tar.gz
    MD5 c3c7aea7cdf8a3dde32acc1694f633aa

This archive also contains an uncompressed ramdisk image which you can easily edit, package, and copy to your boot partition.

ClockworkMod Flashable ZIP!

*IMPORTANT*
    - please wipe data/factory reset if you're coming from B&N stock firmware or another rom!!
    - please see other threads about installing and using CWM recovery - keep this thread to NF issues please
    - this has been tested only using CWM 3.0.0.5 downloaded from market, be warned it may not work with IOMonster's kit or other versions. Let us know if you try and it does!
    - replaces kernel and ramdisk - if you were using an alternate kernel you'll need to reflash it.
    - This will irrevocably erase and replace the software on your eMMC! MAKE BACKUPS BEFORE FLASHING, you have been warned.

If you're upgrading from an older version of Nookie Froyo, you should not have to wipe - however if you do have problems *wipe data* and try again.

*IMPORTANT* - this zip does not require any extra steps such as formatting /boot, changing system permissions, and does not replace or remove CWM. If you are coming from a ROM that required these extra steps and are having issues, *please post your questions there* so the dev can be prompted to correct those issues properly.

If you're coming from a rom that doesn't support CWM properly see the following thread:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=11437545

Installing /system will take some time, and the progress bar doesn't update in realtime; you haven't 'locked up', just be patient as it may take a few minutes.

nookie-froyo-flashable-0.6.6.zip 6f61a464483ecf45d6e6e2d199b44d6c

nookie-froyo-flashable-0.6.7.zip 9bd13877addbad725a5bfe1eb13412df

nookie-froyo-flashable-0.6.8.zip
    MD5: 03544d6a5a52eebdb468c89a5a2581e9

Please do not PM me for help, that's what this forum and the IRC rooms are for - I simply do not have the time to answer all of your questions, and asking them in a public forum will allow others with the same issue to help or learn from your experience!

CHANGELOG

v 0.5.6
    • permissions corrected on /system/bin/input for SoftKeys
    • corrected default cpu governor to conservative
    • added SuperUser
    • added busybox 1.17.2
    • added SoftKeys 3.00 ( thanks bpk! )
    • AdHoc WIFI support enabled
    • crypto/cryptofs added in kernel for ASEC support (required for installing some apks such as Angry Birds)

v 0.5.8
    • uses the /cache partition on eMMC instead of combining with data
    • replaces u-boot.bin to remove the 'touch the future..' splash (trademark)
    • increased refresh rate to improve responsiveness and reduce flicker (see tips in the next post)
    • added sensors lib - accelerometer works!

v 0.5.9
    • default web browser FC fix - no longer dies on location requests!

v 0.6.6
    • Youtube, Pandora, and other streaming media should now work.
    • added codecs for more media formats - including hw accelerated mp3 and video
    • vold reverted - no more broken SD card message
    • flashable zip!
    • updated SoftKeys to 3.07
    • fixed a /cache issue which sometimes prevented market downloads

v 0.6.7
    • SD card mount fixed - please post if you continue to have issues
    • Added back Mms, Phone, Camera, Telephony apks to resolve missing apps in Market - more apps should be available
    • Modified CWM zip reliability

v 0.6.8
    • Corrected improper handling of Format SD Card option - no longer formats /boot!
    • Touchscreen enhancements - no need to toggle screen on boot and better responsiveness around the edges - thanks deeper-blue!

Please see the updated issues/workarounds list in the following post

For more information, sources, and install instructions, please see:
    http://nookdevs.com/NookColor:_Nookie_Froyo

Need help? Want to contribute? Join us in IRC! irc.freenode.net
    #nookcolor - general chat, questions, ask for help here
    #nookie - development
    Do not try to Format SD card from Settings -> SD & Phone storage!
    - there is currently a bug that causes the system to format the /boot partition instead of /sdcard when this option is used, leaving your NC unbootable. Format your SD card in your PC or another device if you need to!
    - fixed in 0.6.8!

FIRST BOOT TIPS -
    • On first boot, Launcher and SoftKeys will fight for control of the home intent - that is, when you boot the first time, your NC will ask you to pick your home activity.
    • *CHOOSE LAUNCHER* at first (DO NOT select 'always use this action'), and let the system boot and stabilize (3-4 minutes).
    • Hit Home (the N button). You'll be asked to choose your activity again, this time choose SoftKeys.
    • Try using one of the SU-required buttons (back or menu), and after a few moments SuperUser will prompt you to accept the action.
    • SoftKeys 3.06+ now prompt for SU permission at startup, just accept the superuser prompt when it pops, you'll still want to let the system stabilize for a minute or two.

If SoftKeys fails to ask for SU permissions, "Unable to execute as root":
    • Go to Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications -> 'All'
    • Select SoftKeys from the list
    • 'Force close' Softkeys if it's running, then 'Clear defaults'
    • Hit the N button, choose SoftKeys when prompted to choose your home action, accept the SU prompt when it pops.

Workarounds for some known bugs/issues:

• (default in 0.5.8+) Improved Refresh-rate (no flicker! thanks [mbm]!): this should set the refresh rate to 68hz, the supposed default for the Nook Color's LCD panel -
      Code:
      adb shell echo 68000,1024/70/200/40,600/10/11/10 > /sys/devices/omapdss/display0/timings
    • Browser: force closes when opening a website that tries to use location services, due to the missing GPS. Try browsing to a url by typing in the google search box, and if you can get into the browser menu changing your homepage away from google will stop it from FC'ing on open.

• Lockscreen wrong size: Simply reboot to correct this.

• Touchscreen is slow/unresponsive:
    • (fixed in 0.5.6 w/included SoftKeys 3.00) No buttons! Try: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=860153

• (fixed in 0.5.6) SoftKeys - in 0.5.1 softkeys' buttons do not work due to a permissions issue. To fix, do:
      Code:
      adb shell mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk1p2 /system
      adb shell chmod 0755 /system/bin/input

Please post issues/workarounds/bugs in this thread, I'll try to keep this list updated.
    Since we have flashable Froyo, can we please please have flashable gapps too? I know you have to do a seperate zip, but I'm having the hardest time getting ADB to recognize my NC. Keep up the great work!

Samuelhalff had made a flashable gapps zip for one of the first eMMC froyo install i remember using, And have carried that over to all since.

Figured himself/someone would have put it up, Ive added New market an removed the old youtube (didnt work for me)

Again made by Samuelhalff: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YL768J18
    Found the sdcard problem. Grab the 0.5.8 base archive and push system/bin/vold, the one in 0.5.9 is broken.

Will be fixed in the next update
    I still don't quite understand how to flash directly to emmc

Sent from my LogicPD Zoom2 using XDA App

*** Caveat *** this stuff is for informational purposes only. Truly. I wouldn't bother doing it this way, as the inclusion of clockwork recovery into NF would allow the process described below (or a similar one anyway) to be executed quickly and automatically. Clockwork Recovery is coming very soon.

In a nutshell, one might rm -rf (ie, permanently wipe out) the contents of /boot, /system, /cache, /data on the emmc and replace them with the contents of NF as they exist on the SD card. (actually, on /boot it might be wiser to only replace MLO, u-boot.bin, and uImage from NF until the clockwork recovery uRecRam/uRecImg is ready, which should be very soon as I see Koush, BertoJG, [mbm] and others are working on it and have betas going already.)

One would also need to create a special uRamdisk based on NF's ramdisk-src, where init.rc is modified to mount the mmcblk0 (internal emmc) partitions instead of the mmcblk1 (sd card) partitions for /boot, /system, /data and /cache. This new emmc-friendly uRamdisk would go in the /boot directory on the emmc.

Bonus: If one were also inclined to remove u-boot.bin's auto-wiping bootcount, battery, and autoflash stuff, u-boot.bin could be rebuilt with some changes to the configuration file. Namely, removing run checkbootcount; run checkrom; run checkupdate; run checkbcb; from CONFIG_BOOTCOMMAND.

That wouldnt address /sdcard insertion and probably other stuff (like accessing /media-- it would have to be added also to init.rc and /etc/vold.fstab). But these things are still wonky in NF...

Obviously this would all remove/replace most of the existing OS... so there is risk and peril involved here. Standard GPL-style disclaimers apply. I don't currently recommend trying any of this-- do so at your own risk and discretion. But who knows, it just might work to get a bootable Nookie Froyo system sans SD-card. :cool:

(checks my SD slot.) Empty.