Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[MOD] Nexus S Gingerbread on Steam (with working keyboard)

OP sztupy

22nd December 2010, 06:44 AM   |  #1  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 857

1,059 posts
Donate to Me
More
Just to demonstrate the power of Steam, I hereby provide you a Steam Powered Gingerbread

This is based on SC's idea of using /data to store the gingerbread files, which works even if FSR is not loaded.

I also went forward and fixed the keyboard issue, so now the home, back and menu buttons work as expected! Oh, and also added recovery mode (running steam recovery of course ), that can be opened using the ususal three button combo. ("adb reboot recovery" or similar will not work however)

What still doesn't work:
- Wifi
- Modem (3g and phone)
- Camera
- Gps

Installation:
1. Download the system dump from here, and put the file on the root of your internal SD card
2. If not already on ext2 or ext4, convert your /data partition to ext4. (because the next step requires Steam Recovery, I'd go with Steam kernel, if your current one doesn't support ext on /data)
3. Download the afterburner install files from here
4. Create a steam directory on your internal sdcard, and put the previously downloaded file there. If there are other afterburner*.zip files there, delete them.
5. Enter Steam Recovery (there are multiple ooptions on how you can get it), choose afterburner, select both options, then press "Install". This will take a while. You might want to switch to log window 1, where you can see the /system extraction progress
6. After finished, reboot. Gingerbread will boot up.
7. If asked to install Steam kernel you can do so, but first read note.
8. Enjoy. To switch back, flash any kernel. If you want your old data back, flash a kernel with ext4 support.
9. If you switched back to a "normal" kernel, you can use afterburner to get back to gingerbread too. Only select the second option when running afterburner, and on the next reboot, gingerbread will greet you in a state as you've never left it.

Note: A steam kernel installation requires you to reboot into recovery after installing it. On base Galaxy S ROMs this is done automatically, but gingerbread's kernel lacks the commands needed to programmatically reboot into recovery. Therefore it will always reboot into normal android mode, where he finds out that he needs to reboot into recovery, but boots into normal mode, etc... to exit this loop simply reboot into recovery manually (using the three button combo), to finish installation of Steam Kernel. You will be greeted with the afterburner window, press back without selecting any of the options (they won't work anyway), and you're done.

Alternate install: Of course you don't need afterburner to install this. Simply follow the instructions on supercurio's page, but use the kernel found inside afterburner.zip, instead of the one provided on the mentioned thread. /data needs to be converted to ext4 though.

Source:
Steam Kernel: https://github.com/SteamMOD (all directories starting with android_bootable_steam_ / tag 2.9.9.1)
Fixed kernel: https://github.com/SteamMOD/steam_kernel_ns_on_galaxys
Initramfs: https://github.com/SteamMOD/steam_in...s-on-sgs-i9000

You can compile it by yourselves using the Android Compiler VM 2.0 with the compiler scripts found here
Last edited by sztupy; 22nd December 2010 at 01:09 PM.
The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to sztupy For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd December 2010, 07:37 AM   |  #2  
Recognized Themer
Flag Lawton, OK
Thanks Meter: 775

451 posts
Donate to Me
More
Not exactly following you on how to install the Steam Kernel. Do I need to pull the battery at some point? If so, when? If not, what am I supposed to to do manually get it into recovery mode? No matter what I do I am always greeted with "Steam doesn't seem to be installed, or it was recently uninstalled." etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to DemonWav For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd December 2010, 07:37 AM   |  #3  
Recognized Developer
Stockholm
Thanks Meter: 2,613

6,349 posts
Donate to Me
Nice work, you lift up the level of this forum

Some x-mas beer for you :16T35690B39571910
22nd December 2010, 08:05 AM   |  #4  
happy place
Thanks Meter: 264

451 posts
This is awesome!

Happy x-mas
74W90842E13524051
22nd December 2010, 08:27 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 20

173 posts
Great job, will play with it ...
22nd December 2010, 08:47 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 14

178 posts
Thx a lot for your work ! -> 1VL15892XA210614G
22nd December 2010, 09:13 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 12

169 posts
you are awesome. just awesome.

i have a vibrant. But i lurk here to keep an eye on development.
22nd December 2010, 09:27 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 2

59 posts
Great very interesting indeed. May I know wats working and wats not? Thx and gd work!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App
22nd December 2010, 09:57 AM   |  #9  
Flag Cannes
Thanks Meter: 20

242 posts
Amazing. i will pay you the 2011 Sziget if that works. lol
22nd December 2010, 10:18 AM   |  #10  
Flag Paris
Thanks Meter: 9

142 posts
Hmmmm nothing happens when I choose "Install" in afterburner menu.. It seems to be instant. Just like it didn't found the install file.
I named the folder "steam" at the root and put the afterburner.zip into it though..

Edit: Okay I'm f***** stupid, didn't check the two options. It works now.. really sorry

Edit2: It seems like I'm stuck in steam recovery. Everytime I reboot I get this message : "Partition /res/.fake/gingerbread/cache could not be mounted!"
The "format partition to ext4" function doesn't seem to work as well. Same for the proposition of installing Steam kernel..
I had my /data partition formatted in ext4 via voodoo though.

So basically, whatever choice I make, it'll never boot... Do I have any other solution than a flash with odin to get something working ?
Last edited by Aanze; 22nd December 2010 at 10:41 AM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread