[HACK] [Script] Semi-Automated Unlock/Root Script for Linux
Script pulled; should have it back up by Wednesday.
Hey guys. I've written a shell script to automate some of the more menial tasks involved with unlocking the Nexus S bootloader and rooting it. It also guides you through the various tasks involved in the process, and IMO is a more noob-friendly alternative to my guide on manually rooting
Disclaimer again: I take no responsibility if something goes wrong (if it does, it should be fixable though), Unlocking your bootloader voids your warranty (but you can lock it back), Unlocking the bootloader will wipe your entire phone, including USB Storage; so make a copy of all those family photos and other files you may have put onto the USB storage if you want to keep them.
The script should run fine on most configurations; if you have issues post them below. The script isn't very elegant, but it gets the job done. Pay attention to the terminal as you go through it and you should be fine.
- OTA updates will not flash because the modified boot.img flashed in this script causes an MD5 mismatch. You should flash the latest OTA update before running this script, if you aren't already running the latest update.
- The latest OTA update, GRH78 (2.3.1) can be found with instructions on flashing here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=884097
- You do not need root to flash OTA updates.
How to run
1. Download the attached file and rename it to 'nsrootscript.sh'
2. Mark it as executable either by navigating to it, right-clicking it, Properties > Permissions tab, and checking 'Allow executing file as program', or running this command:
chmod +x /path-to-file-here/nsrootscript.sh
3. Double-click it and choose 'Run In Terminal' or use the command:
4. Follow the instructions given in the script, and you should be rooted in no time.
Koush; Developer of ClockworkMod Recovery and ROM Manager. Buy him a beer here: https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/we...06282818e091d0
Paul; Developer of Superboot. Help him raise money for Cancer Research and possibly win yourself a nice gadget here: http://android.modaco.com/content/ch...hood-leukemia/
If you have any issues, concerns, or comments, feel free to leave them below.
Retired: Motorola Droid 1.
You're old and broken now, but you served me well.
Side phone (no service): Nexus S
Main phone: Galaxy Nexus
on Verizon. Great phone, hands down.
Tablet: 32GB White Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
, big thanks to Android Central.
Rooting your Nexus S on Linux? This can help!