Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,213 Members 39,973 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE] Extract files from Nandroid backups

Tip us?

landaile
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
Default [GUIDE] Extract files from Nandroid backups

I have seen this asked a few times recently so I figured I would try to put together a quick and easy guide to extracting files from Nandroid backups. This guide only covers Windows, I assume if you are running Linux you can download unyaffs and compile/run it without my assistance. If you are adventurous you can install cygwin and compile unyaffs on your own (or download it at any number of sites across the internet), however I have included all the files needed to extract the files from the img files.

1. Download unyaffs along with the cygwin1.dll
2. Extract the files to a new folder.
3. Copy the system.img file from the ROM or your Nandroid backup to the folder you extracted unyaffs.exe and cygwin1.dll to.
4. Open a command prompt and cd to the folder containing the three files. If you are on Windows 7 you can just navigate there with Windows Explorer and in the URL bar type cmd to open a comman prompt in that location.
5. Type unyaffs system.img

You have now extracted all the files from the system partition of your Nandroid backup. The APKs are in the /app folder and some apps require library files that can be found in the /lib folder. For example: Swype.apk requires that libSwypeCore.so be in the lib folder for it to work properly.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to landaile For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Lock-N-Load
Old
Thanks Meter 265
I get an "end of image" message and no folder is created with the extracted files.

I am trying to recover some photos from my Gallery, which I presume is in data.img - but no matter what I try to extract, I get "end of image"

any ideas?

cruise350
Old
Thanks Meter 576
Is the system.img the only thing you can open with this or can you open the data.img or the wimax.img also?

stevenmirabito
Old
Thanks Meter 24

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lock-N-Load View Post
I get an "end of image" message and no folder is created with the extracted files.

I am trying to recover some photos from my Gallery, which I presume is in data.img - but no matter what I try to extract, I get "end of image"

any ideas?
Your photos should be on your MicroSD card, not on one of the system partitions. Look in SDCARD:\DCIM\100ANDRO, your photos should be there.

wutitizshorty
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruise350 View Post
Is the system.img the only thing you can open with this or can you open the data.img or the wimax.img also?
I want to know this also

gpz1100
Old
Thanks Meter 281
Seems to work ok for me for data.img and system.img, but not wimax.img or boot.img.
Page Plus Flashing - True 3G (evdo)
Free Page Plus Ports/Activation - PM for more info

Vzw Samsung S4 - Page Plus
The Following User Says Thank You to gpz1100 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

wutitizshorty
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Yep, I tried that too...worked.

wutitizshorty
Old
(Last edited by wutitizshorty; 11th March 2011 at 10:13 AM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Is there a command to repack the system or data image after you have unpacked and played around with them???

I am pretty sure that my issue is within the data file...I removed what I think caused the problem but how do I repack it all to put it on the sd card and try it out?

thanks

wutitizshorty
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Does anyone know a command to repack the files???

djtoonjr
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default Worked for me.

Pretty much my whole family has Evo's. theyre all rooted too thanks to me but in my experimenting, i lost the 4G keys to mines. so i troubleshooted. i put Amen Ra's recovery on my brothers phone, and nandroid'ed only the wimax. put the entire folder for that backup on my sdcard on the spot where u would find ur backups, ran Amen Ra on my Evo. and bam. working 4G. u just cant use them at the sametime cuz it interfears.
Black Evo 4G with Red Housing Mod
Team-Nocturnal Kinged SHOOTER E3D 2.3
16GB-EXT