Android 5.0 Favorite Features, Release November 3rd? – XDA TV

Google Confirms Android 5.0 Lollipop for November 3rd! That and much more … more

Prepare Your Build Machines: Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn Now Official

Today is an important day for any and all Linux enthusiasts. One of the … more

Track the Time You Waste on Social Media with Socials Addict

When you use your phone, you often don’t even realize how much time you … more

Document the Story of Your Social Life with 8tory

The different forms of social media are growing every day. It’s hard to imagine a day … more

[GUIDE] Extract files from Nandroid backups

OP landaile

28th December 2010, 07:58 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 17

51 posts
I have seen this asked a few times recently so I figured I would try to put together a quick and easy guide to extracting files from Nandroid backups. This guide only covers Windows, I assume if you are running Linux you can download unyaffs and compile/run it without my assistance. If you are adventurous you can install cygwin and compile unyaffs on your own (or download it at any number of sites across the internet), however I have included all the files needed to extract the files from the img files.

1. Download unyaffs along with the cygwin1.dll
2. Extract the files to a new folder.
3. Copy the system.img file from the ROM or your Nandroid backup to the folder you extracted unyaffs.exe and cygwin1.dll to.
4. Open a command prompt and cd to the folder containing the three files. If you are on Windows 7 you can just navigate there with Windows Explorer and in the URL bar type cmd to open a comman prompt in that location.
5. Type unyaffs system.img

You have now extracted all the files from the system partition of your Nandroid backup. The APKs are in the /app folder and some apps require library files that can be found in the /lib folder. For example: Swype.apk requires that libSwypeCore.so be in the lib folder for it to work properly.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to landaile For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd February 2011, 07:50 AM   |  #2  
Under Your Skin
Thanks Meter: 269

1,187 posts
I get an "end of image" message and no folder is created with the extracted files.

I am trying to recover some photos from my Gallery, which I presume is in data.img - but no matter what I try to extract, I get "end of image"

any ideas?
2nd February 2011, 04:52 PM   |  #3  
Flag Memphis, TN
Thanks Meter: 589

1,865 posts
More
Is the system.img the only thing you can open with this or can you open the data.img or the wimax.img also?
9th March 2011, 03:20 AM   |  #4  
Flag Camillus, NY
Thanks Meter: 24

53 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lock-N-Load

I get an "end of image" message and no folder is created with the extracted files.

I am trying to recover some photos from my Gallery, which I presume is in data.img - but no matter what I try to extract, I get "end of image"

any ideas?

Your photos should be on your MicroSD card, not on one of the system partitions. Look in SDCARD:\DCIM\100ANDRO, your photos should be there.
11th March 2011, 04:13 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 0

32 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruise350

Is the system.img the only thing you can open with this or can you open the data.img or the wimax.img also?

I want to know this also
11th March 2011, 05:21 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 284

2,055 posts
Seems to work ok for me for data.img and system.img, but not wimax.img or boot.img.
The Following User Says Thank You to gpz1100 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th March 2011, 05:28 AM   |  #7  

32 posts
Yep, I tried that too...worked.
11th March 2011, 09:06 AM   |  #8  

32 posts
Is there a command to repack the system or data image after you have unpacked and played around with them???

I am pretty sure that my issue is within the data file...I removed what I think caused the problem but how do I repack it all to put it on the sd card and try it out?

thanks
Last edited by wutitizshorty; 11th March 2011 at 10:13 AM.
13th March 2011, 11:17 PM   |  #9  

32 posts
Does anyone know a command to repack the files???
14th March 2011, 04:16 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 2

148 posts
More
Worked for me.
Pretty much my whole family has Evo's. theyre all rooted too thanks to me but in my experimenting, i lost the 4G keys to mines. so i troubleshooted. i put Amen Ra's recovery on my brothers phone, and nandroid'ed only the wimax. put the entire folder for that backup on my sdcard on the spot where u would find ur backups, ran Amen Ra on my Evo. and bam. working 4G. u just cant use them at the sametime cuz it interfears.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread