[TUT] Migrating text messages from WinMo to Android and back

OP Cheech1976

28th December 2010, 10:37 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 238

941 posts
More
Greetings

For a few days now i am running an Android build on my HD2. Not exclusively, since i have some apps on my WinMo build that i do not want to abandon (as a matter of fact i donīt want to abandon WinMo as well).

Running both OS works quite well for me, so there is no reason for me to choose just one of both.

Only thing that bothered me (quite a bit actually) was the fact, that i could not have my text messages on both OS. Now there might be those of you, who wouldnīt deem this as very important, but for me it is, so i tried to work this out and am happy to have found a way, which I would like to share with you.

I admit, that it may be a somewhat lengthy and tedious procedure, but unless there is no faster way to do this, itīs fine with me and after all, no pain no gain

I do want my messages on both OSī and if that means that once in a while iīll be occupied in front of my laptop, then so be it
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cheech1976 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th December 2010, 10:38 PM   |  #2  
OP Senior Member

941 posts
More
Migrating messages from WinMo to Android
Migrating text messages from WinMo to Android is quite easy, iīll include this, so both directions are stated in this post.

Install the cab from this link http://www.sorobangeeks.com/software...-free-download

Unfortunately i do not know the creator of this cab, it was something i found in my many searchs. This one was very useful for me, if ever the originator of this little program should stumble across my thread, THANK YOU

Run it and let it export your text message (creates an xml-file in a folder which is mentioned after exporting the text messages).

Now you have to load the created xml-file with an xml-editor and edit the lines as follows.

Original line in xml-file:

<sms protocol="0" address="&quot;SENDERS NAME&quot; &lt;SENDERS NUMBER&gt;" date="1281196885000" type="1" body="TEXT MESSAGE" status="-1" read="1" />

Edited line you need in Android: (else the senders name and number are not displayed correctly and will not be added to the specific contact).

<sms protocol="0" address="SENDERS NUMBER" date="1281196885000" type="1" body="TEXT MESSAGE" status="-1" read="1" />

After that, boot up Android and load “SMS Backup + Restore” by Ritesh Sahu from Android Market (itīs for free).

From there you can import the edited xml-file into Android and migration this way is done
Last edited by Cheech1976; 5th January 2011 at 04:36 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cheech1976 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th December 2010, 10:40 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

941 posts
More
Migrating messages from Android to WinMo
For migrating the messages from Android to WinMo you have to perform the following steps:

Load the app “SMS Backup” from Michele Valentini from the Android Market (free, as well) and export the messages in Android.

Again you have to open the created xml-file with an xml-editor and edit the lines.
One text message in this file looks like this:

<sms _id="55" thread_id="9" toa="0" address="SENDERS NUMBER" person="135" date="1287921897000" protocol="0" read="1" status="-1" type="1" reply_path_present="" subject="" body="TEXT MESSAGE" sc_toa="0" report_date="" service_center="" locked="0" index_on_sim="-1" callback_number="" priority="0" htc_category="0" cs_timestamp="-1" cs_id="" cs_synced="0" error_code="0" seen="0" human_readable_date="DATE AND TIME" name="SENDERS NAME"/>

Now open the XML template I have enclosed to this post and copy /paste the data of those text messages you want to have in WinMo as well.
- SENDERS NUMBER (with “+” and country code)
- TEXT MESSAGE (whoīd have thought )
- DATE AND TIME
- SENDERS NAME

<message date="DATE AND TIME" sender="&quot;SENDERS NAME&quot; &lt;+SENDERS NUMBER&gt;" recipient="">TEXT MESSAGE</message>

I was using a WWE Rom, so the format of the date might be dependent from the ROM you are using. I suppose if, for example, you are using a german ROM you will have to enter the date in the german format (dd.mm.yyyy instead of mm/dd/yyyy).

Keep a look out for the date, the content of the xml file has to be correct, else it will not be imported (which doesnīt do any harm anyways, so…)
I had to change the format, since Android was running in german and WinMo in WWE English.

You can repeat this for all the received and sent messages, and you can add only those messages you want to import to WinMo, regardless whether there are more messages already saved in WinMo or not. The tool (also enclosed) will import the data in the xml-file and leave all other messages, which already are in WinMo alone. You do not have to “import” all your messages, just the ones you are missing in WinMo).
By the way, the attached tool is an .exe file which just has to be copied to the phone and then can be executed directly, installation is not necessary.

After the messages are imported, go to the messages tab and open “all messages” once. I am using pyrorobīs HTC messaging client, the first thing it did was close right away, just open it again and you will see that while closing itself it imported the new text messages into a (maybe already existing) conversation.
Attached Files
File Type: 7z SMS WinMo froto Android.7z - [Click for QR Code] (67.8 KB, 455 views)
Last edited by Cheech1976; 28th December 2010 at 10:47 PM.
28th December 2010, 10:41 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member

941 posts
More
I tried this several times with my HD2 (you can see the OSī I am using in my signature) and it worked just fine
I would however strongly recommend to backup your messages prior to trying this out. I did several runs with this until at last I got it working and did not loose any data whatsoever, but I wonīt take responsibility for any data losses you might encounter.
You shouldnīt, there is no reason, but as always take care, mind your steps, take all the necessary preparations, you never know

I hope this is helpful for at least a few of you, since I have been a member of this forum, I was able to benefit from the talents, the experience and the know how of so many members, maybe I can give a little something back.

Happy new year everyone
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheech1976 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th December 2010, 09:46 PM   |  #5  
Flag Land of the Z1/EVO3D/GTAB10.1(2)
Thanks Meter: 941

3,647 posts
Donate to Me
More
useful for me and knowing that there is a solution to my problem migrating out of Windows Mobile 6.5 to Android for my SMS's are about 21,000 now

if this can migrate 21,000 SMS's , im sure anyone out there would be covered
30th December 2010, 09:26 PM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member

941 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsy

useful for me and knowing that there is a solution to my problem migrating out of Windows Mobile 6.5 to Android for my SMS's are about 21,000 now

if this can migrate 21,000 SMS's , im sure anyone out there would be covered

21.000 messages? Really? Canīt quite imagine running WinMo and Android for so long that the messages received on android would reach that high a number.

Now that kinda work i would call diligent

EDIT: Ah, you are talking about migrating from WinMo to Android, that of course is different, sorry i misread that.
Iīd try deleting the contacts, so the exported xml file out of WinMo doesnīt contain the senderīs name at all, so you wonīt have to edit them out of the xml file. Give it a try
5th January 2011, 03:24 PM   |  #7  
Flag Rixensart, Belgium
Thanks Meter: 131

392 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheech1976

Migrating text messages from WinMo to Android is quite easy, iīll include this, so both directions are stated in this post.

Install the cab from this link http://stop3dataroaming.googlecode.c...erSetup0.5.CAB

Unfortunately i do not know the creator of this cab, it was something i found in my many searchs. This one was very useful for me, if ever the originator of this little program should stumble across my thread, THANK YOU

Run it and let it export your text message (creates an xml-file in a folder which is mentioned after exporting the text messages).

Now you have to load the created xml-file with an xml-editor and edit the lines as follows.

Original line in xml-file:

<sms protocol="0" address="&quot;SENDERS NAME&quot; &lt;SENDERS NUMBER&gt;" date="1281196885000" type="1" body="TEXT MESSAGE" status="-1" read="1" />

Edited line you need in Android: (else the senders name and number are not displayed correctly and will not be added to the specific contact).

<sms protocol="0" address="SENDERS NUMBER" date="1281196885000" type="1" body="TEXT MESSAGE" status="-1" read="1" />

After that, boot up Android and load “SMS Backup + Restore” by Ritesh Sahu from Android Market (itīs for free).

From there you can import the edited xml-file into Android and migration this way is done

Thanks for the tutorial, but it seems your link is not correct (there's a ... in the link as well, not only in the text).

Since you didn't mention the name of the app, I don't really know what to search for either.

Could you please post the link again (or the name of the app)?

Thanks!
5th January 2011, 04:35 PM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member

941 posts
More
Iīll edit the link in my previuos post, the link was working, but now it seems to have died.

Before exporting your messages from WinMo delete all your contacts (you can backup and restore them with PIM backup or ActiveSync), this way you wonīt have to edit the xml-file at all.

The exporter is from Ritesh Sahu and is called SMS Exporter 0.5 (if ever the link should die again), the same dev as the Android App needed to import the messages to Android.

Thank you Ritesh
Last edited by Cheech1976; 5th January 2011 at 04:40 PM.
5th January 2011, 05:20 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 0

14 posts
google SPRITE migrate
worked perfect! and it's free. follow the instructions
20th January 2011, 08:19 AM   |  #10  
Flag Singapore
Thanks Meter: 195

1,576 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex3e1989

google SPRITE migrate
worked perfect! and it's free. follow the instructions

Using Sprite Migrate only works from WM to Android, but not back, if i am remember correctly.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread