Make Calling Your Loved Ones Easier and Cheaper this Diwali

Diwali, or Deepawali as some Indians call it, is the pride and joy of Indian … more

Big Android BBQ 5.0 Recap – XDA TV

This fifth annual Big Android BBQ has come and gone. The speakers have spoke, the sponsors have … more

Microsoft to Counter “OK Google” with Bing Torque

When Microsoft is making apps for Android, users should be aware that something … more

Google Confirms “Android Lollipop Day” for November 3rd

A little over a week ago, Google announced the latest iteration of … more

[Q] Video Chat App?

OP caseym

29th December 2010, 02:49 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 9

144 posts
More
Anyone get a good video chat app working on Archos yet? I installed Fring but it says that video chat is not available on my hardware...I have A101IT. Just wondering if there is something else out there.

Thanks,
caseym
29th December 2010, 04:31 AM   |  #2  
Flag Virginia,USA
Thanks Meter: 371

1,008 posts
More
Look around before posting
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=888779

Sent from my Archos
Last edited by txtmikhail; 29th December 2010 at 04:35 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to txtmikhail For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd January 2011, 09:14 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 49

227 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseym

Anyone get a good video chat app working on Archos yet? I installed Fring but it says that video chat is not available on my hardware...I have A101IT. Just wondering if there is something else out there.

Thanks,
caseym

Skype will have video chat for android later this month!
14th January 2011, 05:03 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
Oovoo works
16th January 2011, 04:35 AM   |  #5  

227 posts
Yahoo and ooVoo seem to work the best.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=905327
16th January 2011, 02:51 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 27

187 posts
Sorry, but i have to ask the obvious question, for those who claim oovoo and yahoo messenger works..have you actually tried using them to make video calls?

I've used both the latest apps using my brother's archos 70 to video chat with my galaxy tab but had dismal results. Ooovoo connects but my galaxy tab does not show the video from the Archos 70 and the connection terminates after 10 sec.

Yahoo messenger displays the image just fine but after a few seconds..the image hangs. Even tried its connection with my desktop version. Same thing.

I've also tried the older version of fring to talk to my galaxy tab running the latest fring from the market, but I get a warning from my tab's fring telling me the other party is using an earlier fring version and may have compatibility issues. If I ignore the warning, fring crashes after 10 seconds.

All testing were done with both devices connected to the same wifi router.

Hence sadly, as of now, I do not believe there is even one working video chat software for the Archos 70 running on the latest firmware.

Sent from my GT-P1000
16th January 2011, 03:54 PM   |  #7  

227 posts
I have used Yahoo with no problems. I personally haven't tested ooVoo yet.. waiting for it to get out of beta.
18th January 2011, 06:57 AM   |  #8  
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 15

123 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseym

Thanks,
caseym

I ported my ReelPortal video conference to Android recently. It's reported to be working on the Viewsonic G Tablet with certain ROMs. I believe it works on the Archos 70/101, but I don't know how well, since the G Tablet has the Tegra-2 dual-core CPU and the Archos don't.

Anyhow, my app is published on AppLibs, or you can get it from the G Tablet thread here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=908613

Please provide feedback if you try it. Thanks.
Last edited by reelportal; 18th January 2011 at 07:14 AM.
28th January 2011, 03:15 AM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 9

144 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullyfrog

Sorry, but i have to ask the obvious question, for those who claim oovoo and yahoo messenger works..have you actually tried using them to make video calls?

I cannot get ooVoo to work on the new firmware (2.1.2). Anyone else got it working? I can see myself but I can't see the person on the other end...I was doing it from my Archos to a laptop with webcam.
30th January 2011, 11:01 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 0

6 posts
Talking video chat
Hey guys what you have to do is download an older version of fring (2.1.0.6) this one works on my archos 70 ... I can't remember where I got the apk but its easy enough to find on google I'm sure, might even be somewhere on xda.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread