XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Video Chat App?

Tip us?

caseym
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Default [Q] Video Chat App?

Anyone get a good video chat app working on Archos yet? I installed Fring but it says that video chat is not available on my hardware...I have A101IT. Just wondering if there is something else out there.

Thanks,
caseym

txtmikhail
Old
(Last edited by txtmikhail; 29th December 2010 at 04:35 AM.)
Thanks Meter 367
Look around before posting
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=888779

Sent from my Archos
The Following User Says Thank You to txtmikhail For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Tesla74
Old
Thanks Meter 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseym View Post
Anyone get a good video chat app working on Archos yet? I installed Fring but it says that video chat is not available on my hardware...I have A101IT. Just wondering if there is something else out there.

Thanks,
caseym
Skype will have video chat for android later this month!

truth1224
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Oovoo works

Tesla74
Old
Thanks Meter 43
Yahoo and ooVoo seem to work the best.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=905327

bullyfrog
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Sorry, but i have to ask the obvious question, for those who claim oovoo and yahoo messenger works..have you actually tried using them to make video calls?

I've used both the latest apps using my brother's archos 70 to video chat with my galaxy tab but had dismal results. Ooovoo connects but my galaxy tab does not show the video from the Archos 70 and the connection terminates after 10 sec.

Yahoo messenger displays the image just fine but after a few seconds..the image hangs. Even tried its connection with my desktop version. Same thing.

I've also tried the older version of fring to talk to my galaxy tab running the latest fring from the market, but I get a warning from my tab's fring telling me the other party is using an earlier fring version and may have compatibility issues. If I ignore the warning, fring crashes after 10 seconds.

All testing were done with both devices connected to the same wifi router.

Hence sadly, as of now, I do not believe there is even one working video chat software for the Archos 70 running on the latest firmware.

Sent from my GT-P1000

Tesla74
Old
Thanks Meter 43
I have used Yahoo with no problems. I personally haven't tested ooVoo yet.. waiting for it to get out of beta.

reelportal
Old
(Last edited by reelportal; 18th January 2011 at 07:14 AM.)
Thanks Meter 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseym View Post

Thanks,
caseym
I ported my ReelPortal video conference to Android recently. It's reported to be working on the Viewsonic G Tablet with certain ROMs. I believe it works on the Archos 70/101, but I don't know how well, since the G Tablet has the Tegra-2 dual-core CPU and the Archos don't.

Anyhow, my app is published on AppLibs, or you can get it from the G Tablet thread here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=908613

Please provide feedback if you try it. Thanks.

caseym
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullyfrog View Post
Sorry, but i have to ask the obvious question, for those who claim oovoo and yahoo messenger works..have you actually tried using them to make video calls?
I cannot get ooVoo to work on the new firmware (2.1.2). Anyone else got it working? I can see myself but I can't see the person on the other end...I was doing it from my Archos to a laptop with webcam.

newfierideout
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Talking video chat

Hey guys what you have to do is download an older version of fring (2.1.0.6) this one works on my archos 70 ... I can't remember where I got the apk but its easy enough to find on google I'm sure, might even be somewhere on xda.