Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,143 Members 51,508 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Guide] Motorola Defy Mini XT320 Root

Tip us?

pbruck
Old
(Last edited by pbruck; 6th January 2013 at 01:26 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 63
Thumbs up [Guide] Motorola Defy Mini XT320 Root

So coming from this :
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...658568&page=38
Thread i decided to create a new one to collect and focus all necessary informations for the procedure of flashing and rooting the Motorola Defy Mini XT 320.

Credits for Rooting Guide and files goe's to leos0 and i thank him very much for giving us (me) the freedom to root this Phone.
Also many thanks to coder011 he extracted the recovery.img from defy mini which is necessary for rooting

Table of Contents:
  • Do i have Fastboot or not?
  • How to flash Firmware?
  • How to gain Root access?
  • Which Firmwareverisions have Fastboot Mode?
  • How to flash only older Bootloader to get Fastboot without changing Firmware?

At first, you have to know if your Phone have Fastboot or not.

The easyest Way to find out, is to boot the Phone in Recovery or (if it can) in Fastboot Mode.
  • Power off the Phone
  • Power on by pressing both Volume Buttons and the Power Button at once and hold them for 5-10 seconds
  • if then a screen comes up, you can see if you have Fastboot
  • look at the pictures below to compare

If you see this, then you are a happy one, because your phone has fastboot. You can directly go to the rooting procedure below.

If you get this screen, you have to decide if you want to risk an flash of different SBF Firmware file as described in the next Part of Guide.
Your Phone has no Fastboot

Due to some questions in this Thread i want to make clear, what is necessary to do all this strange stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker55555 View Post
I read the guide. The only mention of installing drivers is in the flashing guide and that guide is for users who didn't have fastboot on their phone.
OK
For anyone who needs it more clear.

For everything that is more than using the Phone as USB Mass Storage, you need to install the Drivers.

What the PC doesn't know, he cannot deal with it.

Drivers are (nearly in everything you do) absolutely mandatory.

And if anything doesn't work on a computer, the first thing you be asked is "Have you installed the drivers?".

Defy Drivers:
http://www.motorola.com/consumers/v/...008806b00aRCRD

Install the Drivers and connect your Phone with USB Debugging enabled or bootet in Fastboot Mode (Power up with holding Volume + and - Buttons for 5-10 seconds).
If the Drivers are installed correct your Phone was shown in device Manager like this:

For flashing other Firmware your Phone must connected as Flashing device.
Power it up with Volume - and Camera Button pressed. You see then an Black screen with some white Text.
Connect Phone and let Drivers install.

If your Phone is connected correct it will be schown in Device Manager like this:

Only after you have installed all drivers and your Phone is recognized by your PC as shown above, you will be able to work with ADB or RSD-Lite.

At first, my Guide to flash your Phone with different ROM if your ROM didn't have Fastboot.

Flashing Guide:

And you have to download RSD Lite:
http://www.chip.de/downloads/RSD-Lite_49139659.html

Defy Drivers:
http://www.motorola.com/consumers/v/...008806b00aRCRD

• Install Drivers and RSD-Lite.
  • Start RSD Lite and load SBF File.
  • Then shut down the Phone and Boot up by holding Camera + Volume- (down) and Power Buttons.
  • If you done right, you see an black screen with white Text, telling you the Device is in flashing mode.
  • Connect Phone to PC and let Drivers install (after that RSD Lite shows an "Connected" Message in App.
  • Click on "Start" in RSD-Lite
  • Flash begins and you see a lot of Message Lines for everey Flash Step.
  • At the End of the Process Phone reboots.
  • Now you cann deconnect and close RSD Lite, ignoring the Message that it is still in Progress.
  • BUT NOT BEFORE THE PHONE REBOOTS!!
  • Sometime there is an Error and the Flash fails at first try.
  • You have then to pull the Accu and to repeat flash Procedure.

Warning!!!
You can brick your Phone!!
In some cases the Phone loses IMEI and Connection to SIM and is broken!!
If you do this, you do it at your own risk!

To prevent this and/or to recover your IMEI and unlocked SIM follow this Guide:
[Important] Backup and Restore Defy Mini IMEI and NV Data

Additional Hint.......

If you can't find an ROM of your native carrier which is rootable, search for a ROM of an Carrier from your Continent which supports eventually your Language and Carrier.

E.g. i found Brazil ROM which is rootable but have no German Input and Language. So i testet some European ROM's and found one from Spain which is rootable and have native German Support and APN in it.
So now i don't need to test further because all works great and have German Phone UI.

The ROM i use at the Moment:

http://hotfile.com/dl/184330128/2d4c...Spain.zip.html
(you have to register before you can download, ZIP Password is "mod2xtreme.com" but be aware, that the Site is sometimes down)
And feel free to donate to the Board for their excellent Service to offer us this ROM's.

If you have an ROM with Fastboot, follow this Guide to Root (Original Post from leos0 here):

Important!!

Some prerequisits:

• Download and extract the root_xt320.zip to the Root of your Harddisc. Best place is C: so it has to be in
    Code:
    Select Code
    C:\root_xt320
  • If you place it in any other place, adjust the Path variables from next advices to your needs.
  • Open Command prompt on PC.
  • Type in
    Code:
    Select Code
    cd C:\root_xt320
    and hit Enter
  • Now you are in correct folder to do the next steps
Quote:
Okey, so, rooting You have to download this : ( it contains fastboot adb recovery.img and update.zip [ I think it is the right one, becourse
i was applying a few of them at one time to save my time xd ] )
0. Copy update.zip to /sdcard/
1. You need to boot into fastboot (NOT RECOVERY, F A S T B O O T ). You can use:
a)
Code:

adb reboot-bootloader

or
b)turn off the phone, then hold POWER+VOL UP+VOL DOWN for 5-10 sec.
2. Now you need to use fastboot. use:
Code:

fastboot boot recovery.img

3.Now CWM TOUCH will boot. There is small problem, it doesn't look as it should, some options are somewhere else etc.
But it works! In normal CWM Recovery i was unable to choose any option, but there everything "works" And you should use
keys on your phone ( POWER to execute, vol. keys to move ), not screen to choose things ( it crashed once when i was using screen )
4. Install zip from sd..(second option)-->choose zip from sdc..)--> ...choose...--> Yes - Install --> Reboot --> back

For commands in [.code] marker you need to use cmd. I hope it will work for you guys You are doing everything on your own so if something dont work its not my fault.
If you want to repost it somewhere, please, just write who invented it You should also thanks coder011 becourse he extracted the recovery.img from defy mini which was very helpful
Enjoy
Download of Files for Root

So now i have one Wish.
Please can anyone who have found an ROM which is rootable/ed and have no SIM-Lock post the FW Version and SBF Name here so we get an complete List of useful ROM Versions.

I will try to update it several times.

root_xt320.zip
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fastboot_xt320.jpg
Views:	151547
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	1613264   Click image for larger version

Name:	recovery_xt320.jpg
Views:	144186
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	1613265   Click image for larger version

Name:	adb_defy_mini.jpg
Views:	103832
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	1621546   Click image for larger version

Name:	flash_defy_mini.jpg
Views:	103180
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	1621547  
The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to pbruck For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

pbruck
Old
(Last edited by pbruck; 5th January 2013 at 12:41 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 63
Default Rootable Firmware List

• TNBST_4_0A.1F.0ERPS_flex_WE_Orange_Spain (the one i use at the Moment)
  • TNBST_4_07.1D.08RPS_flex_LATAM_Claro_Latam
  • TNBST_4_0A.1D.22RPS_flex_WE_RTIT
  • TNBST_4_07.26.11RPD_flex_LATAM_RTL_Brazil
  • TNBST_4_0A.1F.10RPS_flex_WE_Retail_CEE

pbruck
Old
(Last edited by pbruck; 6th January 2013 at 01:32 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 63
Wink Some additional "special" Procedures to have mor Options

Option to flash only older Bootloader with Fastboot enabled without changing your current Firmware and have the Option to root after that.

Some "special" Method posted by Alin Razvan, member of droiddevelopers forum.

Let me explain how i got this working a good sbf flash with a lower bootloader version.
  1. First step you are about to do, is downloading a compatible sbf version that you like !
  2. 2nd step flash it with RSD Lite 5.7
  3. 3rd step after flashing it go into recovery menu by pressing both volume keys + - and power up .
  4. 4th step -> Clean Cache -> Clean User Data , after cleaning select reboot
  5. 5th step Let it reboot normally , set it up , connection etc , google account and so on .
  6. 6th step Download TNBST_4_0A.1F.0ERPS_flex_WE_Orange_Spain.sbf
  • Power off the phone , remove battery , pres camera button + volume down+power insert usb (if doesn't power up attach battery but only for a second than remove it) , now you should be in boot mode .
  • Open RSD Lite 5.7 select the TNBST_4_0A.1F.0ERPS_flex_WE_Orange_Spain sbf file and (read bellow).
  • Here comes the tricky part !!!
  • Be carefull and fast otherwise you got to flash again your favorite sbf ,and follow the upper steps again !
  • Before pressing start button take your phone on your right hand , grab with your left hand the usb cable because you are about to pull it back quickly after you see
  • Flashing Modem (mdm) or something like i reallly don't remember how the text really was but what you need to do is let it flash some reboot files it takes up 3 seconds after pressing start button to flash those files so you got to be fast boot ) i know it sounds awkward but this **** really works !
  • After removing usb cable your phone will instantly shut down because it doesn't have the battery on , i did it without battery because i wanted the phone to shut down instant !
  • So the next step is to power up the phone by pressing both volume buttons + - and power up button , now you should see fastboot menu YaY!

After that, you can switch to the rooting Procedure as described above.

afadel wrote in Post #14:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afadel View Post
Alin's method consists of loading an older bootloader version. In theory you don't even have to flash an SBF if the one you're using (original or already flashed) is working for you (meaning no simlock). You just go from step 6 onwards.

You put the phone in flash mode by holding camera+vol down and powering the phone. You should see a screen with the following:
MBM Flash-mode.
TinBoost
version: 06.0a --> (versions may vary)
Bootloader USB Init SECURE BOOT ENABLED

Now you have to use an SBF with an old version of bootloader. I don't know up to which version the bootloader has fastboot, but I used the SBF TNBST_4_07.1D.20RPS_flex_LATAM_VIVO. This one has fastboot.

So, you open RSD Lite and use this SBF. When you click start first it will update (in this case downgrade) the bootloader version. It will run some stuff and then you will see the same screen from above again (but now with different version - 01.0a if you use the SBF I mentioned) and it will start the flashing process. That's when you have to unplug the battery or USB cable to stop the flashing. All you wanted was to install the bootloader.

After that you just have to follow the procedures as if your phone had fastboot since the beginnig! That was a very smart move by Alin.

I have tested Alin's Method today.
My biggest Problem was, that my Phone is not able to Power on only with USB Cable connected. I also have to insert Accu (very loose) and to pull Cable and shake out the Accu the same time immediately as the Message of "Modem flashing" (or something like this) comes up on Screen.
I now have newest German ROM ( TNBST_4_0A.21.0CRPS_flex_WE_RTDACH ) with Bootloader (Fastboot enabled) from Spanish ( TNBST_4_0A.1F.0ERPS_flex_WE_Orange_Spain ) ROM and rooted.

Great thing.
Big thanks to Alin and afadel for this!!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pbruck For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kangi26
Old
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 1437
Moved to General
The Following User Says Thank You to kangi26 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

r1348
Old
Thanks Meter 1
TNBST_4_0A.1D.22RPS_flex_WE_RTIT

This is the ROM my phone came with (Italian retail), it has fastboot and it's not sim locked.
The Following User Says Thank You to r1348 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Sh0m1
Old
Thanks Meter 225
http://www.droidevelopers.com/f412/1...html#post59544
Bro add this to first post, it's how i did it.

My devices:
Samsung Galaxy S Advance-4.4.2 ROMs
Nexus 7 2013 32GB-Stock 4.4.2 ROOTED
Past devices:
Alcatel OT992D-Stock 4.0.4
Motorola Defy Mini-Stock 2.3.6
Samsung Galaxy Mini-CyanogenMod 7
The Following User Says Thank You to Sh0m1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

pbruck
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0m1 View Post
http://www.droidevelopers.com/f412/1...html#post59544
Bro add this to first post, it's how i did it.

Sorry Guy, have you read the above Guide?

This is exactely what i wrote.

But without all the Pull of Accu and USB and, and, and...

Because it is simply not necessary.
Flashing is much mor simple. Just two steps.

And why should anyone flash two times?

First with an SBF of his Wish. And then (by completely overwriting this Firmware in the Phone) with the one you posted?
And exactely this is also the one i used and wroted in my Guide.

But a lot of Asian and Latam Users cannot use this because it is not containig their Languages.

So this is why i asked anyone who have rooted his Phone to write here with which SBF he does it.

Sh0m1
Old
Thanks Meter 225
No bro, you do not flash 2 times.
First time you flash some sim unlocked firmware that works for you, than you flash the one with bootloader, but not the whole firmware, just modem stuff, and then you cancel the flashing by disconnecting the phone so you still have YOUR old firmware, but now it has new firmware's bootloader.
I hope i made it more clear now.

My devices:
Past devices:
The Following User Says Thank You to Sh0m1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

pbruck
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0m1 View Post
No bro, you do not flash 2 times.
First time you flash some sim unlocked firmware that works for you, than you flash the one with bootloader, but not the whole firmware, just modem stuff, and then you cancel the flashing by disconnecting the phone so you still have YOUR old firmware, but now it has new firmware's bootloader.
I hope i made it more clear now.
OK.
My fault.
I'm to tired to read conscious. Last 8 days in job was to busy.

Will give it a try.
But i am not sure if i will do it really, because i am very satisfied with my current state. I have installed the TNBST_4_0A.1F.0ERPS_flex_WE_Orange_Spain.sbf by flashing it completely and have set up Link2SD and all works like a charm with constantly mor than 120mb free internal Memory also after installing a lot of Apps.

But.
If you agree, i will include your advice in "my" (not really mine, have only made a summary) Guide.

Sh0m1
Old
Thanks Meter 225
Sure, just write that the original creator of that method is Alin Razvan, member of droiddevelopers forum.

My devices:
Past devices: