Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,631 Members 51,061 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE][KitKat][CM11] Updating to 4.4

Tip us?

coolshahabaz
Old
(Last edited by coolshahabaz; 31st March 2014 at 12:40 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 320
Default [GUIDE][KitKat][CM11] Updating to 4.4

This is a GUIDE for all those who are having questions about updating to KiKat

READ TILL THE LAST LINE ALL POSSIBLE FIXES ARE HERE ONLY

THIS WILL BE UPDATED REGULARLY

Link for the thread
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2515036

POST YOUR PROBLEMS HERE AND IF IT DOESN'T GET SOLVED HERE THEN POST IN ABOVE THREAD B'COZ THE DEV THREAD IS GETTING ACCUMULATED BY PROBLEMS ONLY.....AND MANY OF THEM ARE REPEATED ONE SO KINDLY SEARCH FOR YOUR PROBLEM AND THEN POST HERE YOU MAY NOT BE THE FIRST TO HAVE THAT PROBLEM

NEW UPDATE METHOD BY @TJKV (Date 15.Dec.13)

(THIS METHOD DOES NOT REQUIRE UPDATE TO CM10)

1. ROOT YOUR DEFY USING FRAMAROOT

2. INSTALL 2ndInit FROM HERE

3. INSTALL THE NEW RECOVERY FROM HERE
you can skip the above two steps if you already running a custom ROM and follow 3rd and 4th step

4. NOW INSTALL THE KITKAT CM11 DIRECTLY

actual post by @TJKV : http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=1250

1. This is the obvious thing......you must have the build in your PC, best will be place it in your SDcard
don't worry if you don't have one you can get it from here

http://defy.bytekiste.de/

[SIZE=2]2. Now try to get the GApps since in the thread you won't get the GApps i'm giving the link here only
get the Gapps from here :

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2012857

3. Now you have both Gapps and the build itself now what?.....
you need an updated recovery...
If you are on CM10, CM10.1, CM10.2, you can directly update the recovery, Now you are thinking I'm not on CM10/10.1/10.2 what should I do?
Answer: you need to get to CM10 at least.
here is the link for that also

CM10: http://defy.bytekiste.de/cm10-2ndboot-nightly-defy(+)/

for updating Recovery you'll get the .zip from here:

http://defy.bytekiste.de/cm11-nightly-defy+/update-recovery.zip

ABOVE STEP NO LONGER NEEDED NOW FOLLOW THE STEPS GIVEN AT START OF THE LINK IN GREEN TEXT

4. Now as you have all the tools you need. place all the above .zip file in you Defy/Defy+

# Updating Recovery: Go to recovery Mode in TWRP its better to wait for at least 30Sec after entering in recovery this waiting will ensure that your device won't Reboot when you are working in it. After update, reboot your device it is not necessary but it is okay to have one. DON'T ENTER IN SYSTEM GOTO TO RECOVERY AGIAN

# Installing CM11 : As of now you are in Recovery mode wipe the DATA, CACHE, DALVIK CACHE. Now install the zip as you do normally i.e. finding the zip in SDcard and hitting install zip.

#Installing GApps: After completing installation get on to home in select INSTALL ZIP now select the GApps file from the SDcard.

5. Final Step now again wipe the phone THIS IS ALSO NOT NECESSARY but just for safety.

FIRST BOOT MAY TAKE LONG TIME YOU MAY FEEL THAT IT STUCK ON CM LOGO BUT ITS NOT THE THING SO BE PATIENT TILL YOU GET TO THE HOME SCREEN

NOTE: SOMETIMES IT MAY HAPPEN THAT EVEN AFTER FOLLOWING THE STEP YOU GET ERROR THIS IS BECAUSE YOUR DOWNLOAD FILE IS BROKEN SO BETTER CHECK THE [MD5SUM] YOU CAN CHECK THE MD5SUM FROM ES-FILE EXPLORER

# IN FILE PROPERTIES CLICK ON "CHECKSUM"
# THIS WILL GIVE YOU A NEW MENU THERE YOU CHECK ON MD5SUM AND HIT CALCULATE
# NOW CHECK THAT YOUR CHECKSUM IS EQUAL TO THAT OF THE ONE AVAIL ON LINK

KNOWN ISSUES AND THEIR SOLUTIONS/REASONS:

1. "OK GOOGLE" NOT WORKING.
# THIS IS BECAUSE DEFY/DEF+ DON'T HAVE THE OFFLINE SPEECH RECOGNITION.

TO GET THAT WORKING FOLLOW THIS

2. I AM NOT HAVING NETWORK NOW BUT IT WAS PRESENT ON FIRST BOOT OF CM11.
# TRY TO TOGGLE THE AIRPLANE MODE. if it doesn't come after that also then flash a file from HERE

3. WHY THE VERY LEFT HOME SCREEN IS NOT THE GOOGLE NOW SCREEN?
# THE LAUNCHER IS NOT THE ORIGINAL "GOOGLE EXPERIENCE LAUNCHER[GEL]" IT IS A MOD FROM CM.

4. I AM GETTING FORCE CLOSE [FC] WHEN I SWITCH TO ART MODE
# ART IS NOT YET READY FOR DAILY USAGE SO STICK TO THE DALVIK ONLY
[ for difference between ART and DALVIK see this http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2529528 ]

5. WHERE IS THE DEVELOPER OPTION IN CM11?
#GOTO ABOUT PHONE AND TAP 7 TIMES ON THE BUILD NUMBER THIS WILL ACTIVATE THE DEV MODE.

6. EXCEPT HOME KEY OTHER KEYS ARE NOT WORKING
# YOU NEED TO FLASH AGAIN ONLY THIS CAN SOLVE THE PROBLEM BUT IF YOU WANT YOU CAN TRY ONLY WIPING DATA/CACHE.

7. Mx player not working on cm11
# this is not related to cm11, for the time being mx player is not supported by kitkat. Wait for the mx player update
MX PLAYER IS NOW UPDATED

8. IS THIS BUILD SUPPORT OTG?
# YES (NOT BY DEFAULT) BUT ONLY WIRELESS MOUSE AND KEYBOARD ARE WORKING SINCE THEY REQUIRE LESS CURRENT IN SOME CASES USB STICK ARE ALSO RUNNING

GET THE OTG FROM HERE

9. WHY IS YOUTUBE VIDEOS LOOKING CHOPPY?
#DISABLE YOUTUBE FROM THE HWA THIS WILL FIX IT

CONFIRMATION LINK
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=48564465

##################################################[29- 12 - 2013]##################################################

10. BUILD HAS OTG INBUILT BUT I CAN NOT MOUNT THE FLASH DRIVE
> ANSWER IS SAME AS THAT OF NO.8

11. BATTERY DRAINS A LOT...
>PATCH FOR IT BY @Quarx

12. CPU SPY SHOWS NO OR LESS DEEP SLEEP AND MORE USAGE IN 600MHz FREQ.
>PATCH BY @Blechd0se FOR THAT PROBLEM

13.FM RADIO IS NOT WORKING.
> INSTALL THE FM PLAYER FROM PREVIOUS BUILD OR GET THIS FM PLAYER FROM PLAY STORE

14. FLASHING THE UPDATE [ALL PATCH UPDATE] CAUSING PROBLEMS WITH REBOOT TO RECOVERY
> some people having that problem....so if you are confused to flash it or not...I'll suggest NO, apply individual patches.

15. WiFi tethering having some issues.
>Patch by @struq will fix that here is the patch

############################################2014 Nightlies############################################

Since I missed out with so many nightly update following bugs and workaround are referred form @okij 's buglist

>Setup wizard crashes:
1) As a workaround, after flashing only the nightly (i.e. without gapps) do the first boot and then flash gapps after the first boot. If updating from a previous nightly, setup wizard isn't executed and so the bug doesn't occur again.
2) (having gapps already installed) is as follows: When in setup wizard scroll down the status bar, then touch on the date, it will send you to sign on Google, after you sign just reboots and wizard will works just fine. Note: it needs Mobile data to be on by the time you boot your device
3) remove SetupWizard.apk from the gapps package

>Dialer doesn't go into landscape mode when Defy is in car holder: Use third Party if you need that feature.

>Wifi does not return after long sleep (> $timeout minutes) when configured to sleep when screen is dark: Workaround use WiFi timeout app from Google play store

Enjoy Happy Androiding

I hope this is helpful
HIT THANKS !
The Following 79 Users Say Thank You to coolshahabaz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

warewolf4586
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Thanks for the guide..!!!

In some posts in original thread, I noticed some users suggesting to go boot device before flashing Gapps and than reboot to recovery and than flash Gapps.
Is there no use of doing it that way ?

And I am unable to get wifi working on my device since Quarx shifted to the new Wifi drivers after 0703 CM10 build.
I have defy MB526.
None of CM10, 10.1, 10.2 or CM11 build i have tried has made wifi to work...!!!
Can you suggest on this ?

coolshahabaz
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolf4586 View Post
Thanks for the guide..!!!

In some posts in original thread, I noticed some users suggesting to go boot device before flashing Gapps and than reboot to recovery and than flash Gapps.
Is there no use of doing it that way ?

And I am unable to get wifi working on my device since Quarx shifted to the new Wifi drivers after 0703 CM10 build.
I have defy MB526.
None of CM10, 10.1, 10.2 or CM11 build i have tried has made wifi to work...!!!
Can you suggest on this ?
No need to boot into it..... That was because earlier the build wasn't that stable so just to check that it's running or not. That's y ppl suggest to boot in w/o gaaps... But now as this is nearly daily driver now you don't need that step.

For wifi I can't say much because haven't heard much about it meanwhile you try the advance wifi settings and change the region attaching the screenshot....

D5+/cm10.2/1.2GHz.
Sent from Tapatalk app
The Following User Says Thank You to coolshahabaz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

robertocd
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Thanks for the guide, but is it really necessary to send people with problems installing the ROM to the development thread to derail it with questions not related to development? I thought it would be better to just tell them to ask here and wait for people to reply and help them.
The Following User Says Thank You to robertocd For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

coolshahabaz
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertocd View Post
Thanks for the guide, but is it really necessary to send people with problems installing the ROM to the development thread to derail it with questions not related to development? I thought it would be better to just tell them to ask here and wait for people to reply and help them.
Same thing I've mentioned in the very start of the guide.... Yes I am trying to accumulate the issues post here so that the Dev thread stays for Dev purpose

D5+/cm11/1.2GHz.
Sent from Tapatalk app
The Following User Says Thank You to coolshahabaz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ejs-ejs
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Sign Custom recovery not working any more

Dear XDA,

I was trying to update from CM10.
I've flashed update-recovery.zip and BAH - only stock recovery works. No need to say stock recovery does not allow custom ROMs

The device work fine with CM10 (cm-10-20131030-NIGHTLY) except RIL bug, but reboots while trying to access TWRP.

I want KitKat.
Must i start ftrom SBF, or There Is Another Way?

coolshahabaz
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejs-ejs View Post
Dear XDA,

I was trying to update from CM10.
I've flashed update-recovery.zip and BAH - only stock recovery works. No need to say stock recovery does not allow custom ROMs

The device work fine with CM10 (cm-10-20131030-NIGHTLY) except RIL bug, but reboots while trying to access TWRP.

I want KitKat.
Must i start ftrom SBF, or There Is Another Way?
You should read the OP I did mention that you need to wait for at least 20sec if you start working with it as u enter in TWRP it will reboot....

If you are on CM10 and updated the recovery then check if it's version is 2.6.3.x.. So its updated then you can flash CM11....no need to start from SBF

D5+/cm11/1.2GHz.
Sent from Tapatalk app

ejs-ejs
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolshahabaz View Post
You should read the OP I did mention that you need to wait for at least 20sec if you start working with it as u enter in TWRP it will reboot....

If you are on CM10 and updated the recovery then check if it's version is 2.6.3.x.. So its updated then you can flash CM11....no need to start from SBF
I did it a couple of days before this thread appeared

I'm unable to verify the version of recovery. Neither from recovery mode, nor from the TWRP app.
So, SBF ?

coolshahabaz
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejs-ejs View Post
I did it a couple of days before this thread appeared

I'm unable to verify the version of recovery. Neither from recovery mode, nor from the TWRP app.
So, SBF ?
In TWRP on top right corner you can see the version since u can't get into it.... So, sadly yes you need to start from SBF again.

D5+/cm11/1.2GHz.
Sent from Tapatalk app

Joomlar
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolshahabaz View Post
In TWRP on top right corner you can see the version since u can't get into it.... So, sadly yes you need to start from SBF again.

D5+/cm11/1.2GHz.
Sent from Tapatalk app
Hello, at the moment a am on 2.2.2 froyo android. I need kitkat. This will be my first upgrade android system, so if i understand, first i must install this http://defy.bytekiste.de/cm10-2ndboot-nightly-defy(+)/
My motorola is DB525 but on this link is only for defy+?
I try to instal cm10-2 but in recovery mode i dont have option "Install from SD card". If there some other options?

Tags
help for kitkat, kitkat in defy+, kitkat on defy