Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,354 Members 41,887 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

amoled burnin

Tip us?

Sysiphus1981
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default amoled burnin

Ok, i own my galaxy about 5 months. I turned the backlight to 0% in andromax, started the xda app and saw my battery, signal indicator and time as a shadow at the brown xda loadscreen. brightness was always set to auto.
I know this effect on plasma tvs, but with amoled, shouldn't be possible by design.
any thoughts are welcome

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

cs42
Old
Thanks Meter 0
It's usual degradation of OLEDs. As the statusbar is quite static those pixels that are always light degrade faster than pixels than other ("not so static") pixels.

Now the more degraded pixels are darker on the same voltage levels and this can be seen when the statusbar is hidden.

That's one of the disadvantages of OLEDs currently.

kekiko
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sysiphus1981 View Post
Ok, i own my galaxy about 5 months. I turned the backlight to 0% in andromax, started the xda app and saw my battery, signal indicator and time as a shadow at the brown xda loadscreen. brightness was always set to auto.
I know this effect on plasma tvs, but with amoled, shouldn't be possible by design.
any thoughts are welcome

Try rebooting your phone, then in the keypad dial *#0*# and test the screen with the options there check if there is any error in colour reproduction. Or test with images created with paint with only a single colour paint and test it with the screen on galaxy s.
If you observe any colour out of place or not uniform throughout, it might due to hardware issue of the amoled screen.

Hope this helps

Sysiphus1981
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
checked via sgs tools secret codes (the code from above) lcdtest. degration is there for green and blue, hard to see in red.
will test some disco flash app, maybe it will get better like with plasma panels.
all in all, it is only annoying and the display will get damaged by design. I wonder, if there is a theme for the bar with less contrast grafics, like most tvstation did with there stationsymbol.

mengsuan
Old
Thanks Meter 35
The blue pixel organic compound of AMOLED will degrade the quickest. That's the reason these phones are programmed to be more blueish when new, so that as it degrades, the blue should still be visible until the screen dies.
The Following User Says Thank You to mengsuan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Tanis64
Old
Thanks Meter 64
I own my SGS I9000 now since the 25th of June and i don't have that problem, how long is your total amount of Screen on time? I think by intensive use my approx. Screen on time per day is about 2 h. 6 Months are 180 days a 2h are 360h. Industrial Keys for Control Panels with OLED Displays have a average lifetime of 15000h, newer one 30000h.
I don't knew the lifetime for Samsungs AMOLED Screens but i guess it sould be around 10 to 15k hours. So i would contact seller, or samsung service about that.
Regards Christopher

kempas
Old
Thanks Meter 8
In the UK you're covered by the Sale of Goods Act - the phone should be expected to last a good 5 years or so. I didn't agree to anything about a failing screen so if it doesn't last an appropriate time then I'll be expecting a replacement screen.

mengsuan
Old
Thanks Meter 35
You know what? I went to check my screen under white, red, blue and green; I have some burn in for the battery icon as well. Lol.

To avoid more damage, I will be using the device in varying orientation.

EarlZ
Old
Thanks Meter 272
I wonder how fast the SAMOLED will die if its used as a deskstand for 8hrs / day

hydrouk
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kempas View Post
In the UK you're covered by the Sale of Goods Act - the phone should be expected to last a good 5 years or so. I didn't agree to anything about a failing screen so if it doesn't last an appropriate time then I'll be expecting a replacement screen.

UK law says a product is expected to last 12 months however Samsung do have a 24 month warranty on this product which is nice. If i was you kempas i would have that repaired (screen replacement) as it's completely free except for the time it takes.
Samsung Warranty Information

Just remember to flash back a factory firmware before you send it to a repair centre, custom/modified firmware voids your warranty in any country.