Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,734,168 Members 50,689 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Phoenix---->UPDATE IN PROGRESS!

Tip us?

rquiett
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1403

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamholden85 View Post
You are half right. JS5 is the newer of the 2 but they are both I9000 based. JPY was December of last year where as JS5 was January of this year. I notice speed improvements and less lag on JS5 which is why I am converting my ROMS over to JS5 but trying to also keep the original version in tact and posted for those not ready to take the jump.
This answered a question I had in the supernova thread about what was different between them. Going to have to take the leap to js5 later on tonight or tomorrow when I have time to.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using XDA App

"The flames of freedom. How lovely. How just. Ahh, my precious anarchy... "

RichMD
Old
Thanks Meter 757
Question Adam, what ROM has the best future?

When you created SuperNova, I changed to that thinking that would be where you would spend most of your time long term even if you did some updates to Phoenix. Then I saw the Phoenix 5.2 with JS5 and I wasn't sure. Both now have a JS5 version and use the latest Speedmod kernel so other than UI (I use the cosmic76 theme), will there be any significant difference? I know there are some app issues (facebook, new versions of Pandora, etc) but I don't know if they will both have the same issues and which you would fix first, etc. I am about to flash again but I don't want to keep following both threads so I'd rather stick to one type - SuperNova or Phoenix. Any insight on which to choose (ignoring UI)? Will either get more features, etc?
AT&T Galaxy Note 2 - Currently running the flavor of the day

AT&T Galaxy Note Original
AT&T Captivate

Phoenix-Lead
Old
Account currently disabled - OP
Thanks Meter 1950

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMD View Post
When you created SuperNova, I changed to that thinking that would be where you would spend most of your time long term even if you did some updates to Phoenix. Then I saw the Phoenix 5.2 with JS5 and I wasn't sure. Both now have a JS5 version and use the latest Speedmod kernel so other than UI (I use the cosmic76 theme), will there be any significant difference? I know there are some app issues (facebook, new versions of Pandora, etc) but I don't know if they will both have the same issues and which you would fix first, etc. I am about to flash again but I don't want to keep following both threads so I'd rather stick to one type - SuperNova or Phoenix. Any insight on which to choose (ignoring UI)? Will either get more features, etc?
I am going to remove the JS5 for Phoenix. There really is no need for it and I should have thought about that. It is just UI that is changed really and a few apk's. The GPS files are a bit different as well.

t-readyroc
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Quote:
I am going to remove the JS5 for Phoenix. There really is no need for it and I should have thought about that. It is just UI that is changed really and a few apk's. The GPS files are a bit different as well.
Hmmm.... if the GPS from JS5 is improved, any way you could make that happen on JPY Phoenix?
LG Optimus G; stock, rooted
Nexus 7; stock, rooted

RichMD
Old
(Last edited by RichMD; 21st February 2011 at 09:01 PM.)
Thanks Meter 757
Quote:
Thanks Adam,
I just flashed my wife's 1007 Captivate with SuperNova 2.3 and used the KP1 modem and her GPS has finally been on a par with mine and in fact tracked better than my Phoenix 4.5 with JK4. I tried Phoenix 5.2 JS5 but fell back due to some app issues. Also, my Good Enterprise app stopped syncing AGAIN so I am going back to stock to see if I can get it working and then will flash SuperNova 2.3, 13C kernel, KP1 modem, and enable the recommended SM tweaks and lagfixes. If I read "between the lines" on your response correctly, SuperNova is "the child you would send to college". Any comment?

On a separate note, I read in a really good battery thread that we should NOT run auto app killers anymore. They were almost required in earlier Android releases and became "dogma" but they can make things worse now because it kills apps which restart automatically and that wastes battery. If you have enough RAM then we are only wasting CPU and the memory to run the killer process. Also, the SM kernel has a "low memory" killer setting which I assume will kick in as necessary and having that part of the kernel would be much more efficient than running a user process - at least that is my "thinking".
AT&T Galaxy Note 2 - Currently running the flavor of the day

AT&T Galaxy Note Original
AT&T Captivate

Phoenix-Lead
Old
Thanks Meter 1950

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMD View Post
Thanks Adam,
I just flashed my wife's 1007 Captivate with SuperNova 2.3 and used the KP1 modem and her GPS has finally been on a par with mine and in fact tracked better than my Phoenix 4.5 with JK4. I tried Phoenix 5.2 JS5 but fell back due to some app issues. Also, my Good Enterprise app stopped syncing AGAIN so I am going back to stock to see if I can get it working and then will flash SuperNova 2.3, 13C kernel, KP1 modem, and enable the recommended SM tweaks and lagfixes. If I read "between the lines" on your response correctly, SuperNova is "the child you would send to college". Any comment?

On a separate note, I read in a really good battery thread that we should NOT run auto app killers anymore. They were almost required in earlier Android releases and became "dogma" but they can make things worse now because it kills apps which restart automatically and that wastes battery. If you have enough RAM then we are only wasting CPU and the memory to run the killer process. Also, the SM kernel has a "low memory" killer setting which I assume will kick in as necessary and having that part of the kernel would be much more efficient than running a user process - at least that is my "thinking".
Yeah, app killers are a no-no now. I am sure you have noticed that the stock setup on any of my ROMS the mem useage is very low, usually around 200-225 max. Now that will of course raise depending on what you install adn what is running the background, but I designed them to be mem sippers.
The Following User Says Thank You to Phoenix-Lead For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

LightningGA
Old
Thanks Meter 29

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Have you looked at the KB1 build at all as another option?

Not that the JPY version of Phoenix wasn't awesome!
And the JS5 version of Phoenix is faster but has some very minor "bugs" (if you even want to call them that) that can be fixed fairly easily.
---AT&T Samsung Galaxy S 4---
Stock (for now)

Asus Infinity 700
Replaced by a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

Phoenix-Lead
Old
Thanks Meter 1950

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptivateME View Post
Have you looked at the KB1 build at all as another option?

Not that the JPY version of Phoenix wasn't awesome!
And the JS5 version of Phoenix is faster but has some very minor "bugs" (if you even want to call them that) that can be fixed fairly easily.
I was going to look into that base. Seems pretty decent.

trekie86
Old
Thanks Meter 38
I'm having a problem with any apps that use the camera, barcode scanner, google goggles, etc. They FC every time I attempt to start them. I've tried multiple kernels, K12U, K13A, K13B and the same result. Could this be from the Hacked Camera? I really like the power button as the shutter but would be willing to trade that out for working apps that use the camera. Anyone else have the same issue or potential solution? Oh, running Phoenix 4.5 with K13B kernel. Thanks.
- trekie86

AT&T Samsung Captivate (Galaxy S)
Android 2.3.5 (Gingerbread I9000 Build)
The Collective: Mosaic VIII
Semaphore 1.8.2 Kernel
I9000UGJK4 Modem

Don't forget to give thanks!

doreyu
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekie86 View Post
I'm having a problem with any apps that use the camera, barcode scanner, google goggles, etc. They FC every time I attempt to start them. I've tried multiple kernels, K12U, K13A, K13B and the same result. Could this be from the Hacked Camera? I really like the power button as the shutter but would be willing to trade that out for working apps that use the camera. Anyone else have the same issue or potential solution? Oh, running Phoenix 4.5 with K13B kernel. Thanks.
Restore the stock email.apk
ROM: ICS
Kernel: stock

Tags
amazing battery, awesome gps!, beautiful theme, best cappy rom, can you say fast?!, endorsed by the pope!, hooked on phoenix!, jpy, no useless updates here, ph0enix, phoenix, phoenix > other roms, phoenix reloaded, phoenix rising, phoenix ultimate, re'donkulicious, reliable, smooth as eggs, stable, sweet, sweet sweet lemonade, team phoenix, telegram for mongo!, way cool, www.phoenix-hq.com