Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[UPDATE, INFO AND LINKS]*PLEASE READ* Concerns about Amon_Ra and Clockworkmod

OP davenukem

31st December 2010, 07:52 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 26
 
167 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2008
UPDATE WITH INFORMATION AND LINKS ON HOW TO AVOID PROBLEMS

Through the posts and information that has been brought to my attention your Hboot is not really of significance, it is just your partitions. You can update your Hboot and maintain older partitions.

I bet you're wondering how to discover if you have these partitions. I owe the credit to this command to XhausX. "A petty reliable way to tell is by your /proc/mtd table. If 'cat /proc/mtd' shows an erase size of 20000 you have the old set up. If it shows 40000 you have the new one".

Once you know whether you have the old or new your options are as follows

OLD Partition: Flash Clockwork mod 2.5 or use the unmodified version of Amon_ra found here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...ecovery+Custom . Also be aware that you can flash the Amon_ra found in clockwork mod because it is unmodified.

NEW Partition: Flash the updated clockwork recovery mod (3.0) or use a modified version of the recovery found in Zikronix thread here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=829045

Although this is a temporary solution I urge everybody to reach out to developers and offer assistance or bring to their attention the danger of the multiple partitions. I'm unaware if you can put a check into software that would install recoveries but I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard if xhausx script can already distinguish them. Hopefully you all head my warnings. HAPPY ROOTING and GOOD LUCK!




ORIGINAL QUESTION READ ABOVE FOR INSTRUCTIONS


This is going to be in many ways a general warning that will bring something I realized today to the attention of everybody and simultaneously will bring a developer forward to answer the questions I'm about to present. I have a similair thread in the Q & A forums but I wanted to get more coverage for this so that a ton of people don't kill their phones or lose their RSA keys accidentally (have lost mine and it sucks if you live in a 4g area!).

Amon_Ra is a fantastic recovery and has been at 1.8 for a while. In the Hboot 2.2 and 2.10 thread the author brings forth the fact that the partitions for these Hboots has changed and that the modified Amon_ra is made to compensate for this. It is labeled as Amon_ra but it is not truly 1.8 but instead a modified version.

What i take this to mean is that the partitions, where certain information is stored on our phone, was changed for these Hboots and thus the recovery had to be altered to backup and flash information to these new locations. Clockwork mod has now been updated to 3.0 and it fixes this. I'm assuming it scans your phone to see which Hboot you have and acts accordingly.

Now, for the problem

Clockwork mod has an option to flash Amon_ra. However, if you have Hboot 2.2 or 2.10 and this flashes an older Amon_ra or an unmodified for these new hboots(it is much easier to flash recoveries this way and I know i'm not the only one who does it) then if you attempt to nandroid or flash a rom you could very well bork it.

I have searched and found no documentation CONTRARY to this. If there is, point me in that direction and I'll be on my way to check it out and remove this post but I want to make sure nobody accidentally ruins their phone while changing recoveries.

My suggestion to this problem, and if it is in fact a problem I'll be attempting to get into contact with the developers and see if they have a solution. I think it's just a bad idea to have varying versions of Amon_ra floating around that are labeled the same without actually knowing which is for which Hboot.

Thanks for reading and if you have any input please add, I just want to avoid people messing up their phones. I have been through 3 refubs and gone through the rooting process various times and I just want to make sure some noobies don't lose a ton of money in tough economic times because of a simple oversight like this. If the need be we need to put warning out there about this.
Last edited by davenukem; 31st December 2010 at 08:55 PM.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to davenukem For This Useful Post: [ View ]
31st December 2010, 08:00 AM   |  #2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 206
 
1,208 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2009
Donate to Me
Me and TrevE are the ones that discovered this whole thing.

We msg'd both amon_ra and koush and amon quickly threw together a fix. And I tried cw's new recovery on an old and new evo on the new evo it seemd to work but on the old evo it would only back up the boot.img so im all for getting this sorted out...and it is a real problem

here is the work me and treve did

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=843342

The issue is that the "modified one" from the thread reports version 1.8, the version you can "officially" download is 1.8 but i assure you they are VERY different.

The poster below states he uses 1.8 on his 2.02 evo but the question is what version...of 1.8. Yes it has been reported that some of the older evo's that managed to get the 2.xx hboots can use the "official" amon_ra and it works....and it might...however the newer evos some of which are 003 and 004 that have hboot 2.xx need to use the "modified" one

this is where the issue lies
Last edited by zikronix; 31st December 2010 at 08:17 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to zikronix For This Useful Post: [ View ]
31st December 2010, 08:00 AM   |  #3  
mroneeyedboh's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 474
 
1,735 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2008
Its old news that you cannot use anything but Amon_Ra 1.8 on hboot 2.02 and 2.10. DOnt use Clockwork. Sure clockwork fixed it but still needs more testing, from what Ive read. It might be deemed safe, but why not use what works, Amon_RA
31st December 2010, 08:04 AM   |  #4  
lithid-cm's Avatar
Recognized Developer
Flag Cleveland
Thanks Meter: 2,967
 
3,177 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2010
More
NVM I answered my own issue.
31st December 2010, 08:06 AM   |  #5  
gatorran's Avatar
Member
Flag Under the bridge in FL
Thanks Meter: 0
 
34 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2008
Thumbs down
Quote:
Originally Posted by mroneeyedboh

Its old news that you cannot use anything but Amon_Ra 1.8 on hboot 2.02 and 2.10. DOnt use Clockwork. Sure clockwork fixed it but still needs more testing, from what Ive read. It might be deemed safe, but why not use what works, Amon_RA

Do you even read what he wrote???



Quote:
Originally Posted by davenukem

This is going to be in many ways a general warning that will bring something I realized today to the attention of everybody and simultaneously will bring a developer forward to answer the questions I'm about to present. I have a similair thread in the Q & A forums but I wanted to get more coverage for this so that a ton of people don't kill their phones or lose their RSA keys accidentally (have lost mine and it sucks if you live in a 4g area!).

Amon_Ra is a fantastic recovery and has been at 1.8 for a while. In the Hboot 2.2 and 2.10 thread the author brings forth the fact that the partitions for these Hboots has changed and that the modified Amon_ra is made to compensate for this. It is labeled as Amon_ra but it is not truly 1.8 but instead a modified version.

31st December 2010, 08:08 AM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 26
 
167 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2008
the poster that said you can only use Amon_ra on hboots 2.2 and 2.10 is incorrect. You can only use a CERTAIN VERSION OF AMON_RA on hboot 2.2 and 2.10. Disregard his post.

I'm not being mean bud but this is incorrect and will only help people mess up their phones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroneeyedboh

Its old news that you cannot use anything but Amon_Ra 1.8 on hboot 2.02 and 2.10. DOnt use Clockwork. Sure clockwork fixed it but still needs more testing, from what Ive read. It might be deemed safe, but why not use what works, Amon_RA

31st December 2010, 08:10 AM   |  #7  
Senior Member
Flag Kenosha
Thanks Meter: 153
 
652 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2008
More
I think what he is trying to say is that there are 2 different versions of "amon ra 1.8" which are both different.

One version fixes the partitions on the newer hboot, and the other one does not.

So, what he is saying is rename the newer amon ra to 1.8.1 or something so that people know they are flashing the right one.


BTW... autoroot has it built it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kthejoker20 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
31st December 2010, 08:11 AM   |  #8  
lithid-cm's Avatar
Recognized Developer
Flag Cleveland
Thanks Meter: 2,967
 
3,177 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenukem

the poster that said you can only use Amon_ra on hboots 2.2 and 2.10 is incorrect. You can only use a CERTAIN VERSION OF AMON_RA on hboot 2.2 and 2.10. Disregard his post.

I'm not being mean bud but this is incorrect and will only help people mess up their phones.

amon_ra 1.8 works fine on 2.2 hboots. can't say the same about 2.10 because that isn't my version. I have 2.2 and not issues with 1.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthejoker20

I think what he is trying to say is that there are 2 different versions of "amon ra 1.8" which are both different.

One version fixes the partitions on the newer hboot, and the other one does not.

So, what he is saying is rename the newer amon ra to 1.8.1 or something so that people know they are flashing the right one.


BTW... autoroot has it built it.

Ok that makes alot more sense.
31st December 2010, 08:14 AM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 26
 
167 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2008
See, more testing needs to be done. If what you say is true then perhaps it's only the 2.10 hboot with these new partitions? I think the Amon_ra developer needs to communicate with Koush and discover HOW koush figured out how to distinguish between which phone had which partitions. Realistically though, this is a horrible move by HTC, it's bad enough there are so many hardware revisions floating around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lithid-cm

amon_ra 1.8 works fine on 2.2 hboots. can't say the same about 2.10 because that isn't my version. I have 2.2 and not issues with 1.8



Ok that makes alot more sense.

31st December 2010, 08:18 AM   |  #10  
lithid-cm's Avatar
Recognized Developer
Flag Cleveland
Thanks Meter: 2,967
 
3,177 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenukem

See, more testing needs to be done. If what you say is true then perhaps it's only the 2.10 hboot with these new partitions? I think the Amon_ra developer needs to communicate with Koush and discover HOW koush figured out how to distinguish between which phone had which partitions. Realistically though, this is a horrible move by HTC, it's bad enough there are so many hardware revisions floating around.

In HTC's eyes its working for them... messing up the dev community from rooting... but that my friend is only short lived.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
amon_ra, partitions, recovery, recovery problems
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes