OP $aur0n

23rd January 2011, 09:51 PM   |  #1001  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 499

1,453 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by sublimejosh2000

I still get force close on EVERTHING when I boot up...
Removed everything in /data/data/* and in /data/dalvik-cache/*

ADW launcher and every app I have installed gives a force close on reboot...

Any other ideas?

Yep - remove further I had this situation once - I've tried to find whats going on by making diff of my backup and current (bad) file state in /data - I couldn't find any good reason for that. Putting files from backup /data - helped.

You can remove everything (every directory) in data - except /data/app - this are your apps binaries. If you remove everything else - you will have fresh boot with Archos wizard - but all apps will stay.

@fnetf - congratulation - 1000 post
23rd January 2011, 11:56 PM   |  #1002  
Recognized Contributor / Themer
Thanks Meter: 4,066

2,229 posts
Donate to Me
More
@$aur0n: I know you've given up on the Geolocation issue for now (can't say I blame you) but had one observation to add. I installed kenyu's gapps v5 on stock Android, then installed your 0.4.2, including the copy data command. When i booted into 0.4.2, geolocation was working with both my Beautiful Weather widget, and with Google maps. The problem came when I tried to access the Market-not only wouldn't Market load, but could no longer connect via USB, something about system not being able to mount USB storage.

Had a couple of other ideas, but need to reinstall 0.4.2 first to get USB connection back. Spent all day on it, but suddenly it won't boot past the Archos splash screen!
24th January 2011, 12:35 AM   |  #1003  
Thanks Meter: 139

1,031 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by $aur0n

I don't know how adfree works - but from what you are saying - it just replace /etc/hosts file (i wrote already in this thread about this method - somewhere on the beginning) - download this host file (I've mentioned) and replace /etc/hosts - it's that simple.

Probably adfree try to do some "magic's" to hack the phone - and here it does not have to do nothing - probably

Here is the hosts file I used. Instructions
  1. Download and then unzip the file.
  2. Then rename the file to hosts
  3. Using Root explorer go to /etc
  4. Make a copy of currents hosts file
  5. Then copy the downloaded hosts file from sdcard to /etc
  6. reboot

Credit: http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
Last edited by cnewsgrp; 5th November 2011 at 02:28 PM.
24th January 2011, 05:32 AM   |  #1004  
Flag Seattle, Wa
Thanks Meter: 33

406 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by $aur0n

There is probably some difference with 70H, since as I recall only users of this device reports some battery issues... It's hard to tell where is the problem - have you tried first Uruk kernel (2.0.71-1) - this one was almost stock release (ext4 support mainly add). I guest it requires someone with A70H to take closer look at this problem.

Tried clean install of everything again including SDE. Flashed the 2.0.71-1 kernel with the 0.4.1 initramfs but still have the same problem. It is unusable in this condition. Is there any tests you would like me to run for you since you don't gave an A70H? If you give me steps I can do them but I am not a dev. Thanks.

Sent from my GB Evo
24th January 2011, 05:56 AM   |  #1005  
Flag Bangkok
Thanks Meter: 28

314 posts
I've using iPad before I got this Archos 70. I intend to get experience of Android from Archos for a while and sell it. However, after playing with it, even the stock rom + LauncherPro+ plus Smartkeyboard, it won't let me down at all. The operation is smooth (not to iPad level, but unbelievably closed) and a lot of useful software too. So I decide to keep it and carry it with me when I'm not at home due to its smaller, thinner, and lighter tablet. (At home, I still come back to my iPad).

I've tried Urukdroid since 0.2 till 0.4 and thanks for $aur0n and team for their excellent job. Though it is quite a painful process at first because I didn't have experience in Linux before; I learned a lot about it along the painful process. Now I can somewhat improvise without strictly following step-by-step instruction on the first post.

As you know, each Urukdroid version has at least one weakness and the weakness of 0.41 is the malfunction of the Network Location.

I hope with next version (s), $aur0n can provide a perfect root environment for my Archos 70IT (8gb). For now Network Location problem is not a big issue for me because I can use my iPhone for that function; but it's nicer to have it works on a bigger screen. Now I'm very happy with my Archos.

I also found that with good sdcard whether it is class 2 or 4, it still gives me very smooth and fast operation. The latest card I use is Sandisk class 4, 4GB.

Just a warning, you don't need swap file. It will only make your Archos much slower.
Last edited by bthoven; 24th January 2011 at 06:05 AM.
24th January 2011, 09:05 AM   |  #1006  
Flag near PARIS (94)
Thanks Meter: 167

838 posts
Donate to Me
More
i use this [Kernel] Archos Gen8 Kernel (Fry egg; min/max: 300/1280Mhz) (Updated: 17-JAN-2011)

i would like to change for Urukdroid

is it ok with the full process ?
24th January 2011, 09:08 AM   |  #1007  
OP Senior Member

1,453 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisha21

@$aur0n: I know you've given up on the Geolocation issue for now (can't say I blame you) but had one observation to add.

I said I leave it for now - to give up at all. It simply a matter of time - i can fix/add new features that I already know how to do it - later I can weird stuff

Quote:

Had a couple of other ideas, but need to reinstall 0.4.2 first to get USB connection back. Spent all day on it, but suddenly it won't boot past the Archos splash screen!

Please do, perhaps there is something real trivial that causes this problem and can be easily fixed.
24th January 2011, 09:18 AM   |  #1008  
Thanks Meter: 0

11 posts
Thanks for the great job !
I have installet Urukdroid parallel to the stock-2.0.54-Firmware. It works great BUT the Wifi-Performance is much less than with 2.0.54. Automatic reconnection to my router after sleep fails (no problem with 2.0.54).
The same was with the original 2.0.71, because that I have downgrade to 2.0.54.

Greets
Axel
24th January 2011, 09:24 AM   |  #1009  
OP Senior Member

1,453 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm123

Thanks for the great job !
I have installet Urukdroid parallel to the stock-2.0.54-Firmware. It works great BUT the Wifi-Performance is much less than with 2.0.54. Automatic reconnection to my router after sleep fails (no problem with 2.0.54).
The same was with the original 2.0.71, because that I have downgrade to 2.0.54.

Can you give me yours rootfs (2.0.54) - it's one big file on stock system partition (you'll have to mount it, copy and put on some rapidshare/megaupload). Or you can try buy yourself it here is any difference in wifi firmware.
24th January 2011, 09:57 AM   |  #1010  
OP Senior Member

1,453 posts
Donate to Me
Logo hunting!!!
Logo hunting challenge !

I've asked yesterday author of "uruk helmet", that I cut/paste in UrukDroid logo, for permission to use (I've created it on the beginning as joke mainly). He did not agree do it freely - so we need some new helmet/logo - that can be used of course, in this type of community project.
Last edited by $aur0n; 24th January 2011 at 10:28 AM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
archos, ext4, gen8, root, urukdroid
Previous Thread Next Thread