5,600,571 Members 33,082 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Guide] Getting ride of the Phantom Voice Mail Icon (NOT THE TEXT MESSAGE ISSUE)

Tip us?

Jetdr
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 53
Default [Guide] Getting ride of the Phantom Voice Mail Icon (NOT THE TEXT MESSAGE ISSUE)

Thanks to a suggestion made by a follow XDA Member (Can't remember his name sorry!!)

Actually you can fix the Voice Mail Icon issue!!! The one that shows up in the top left corner, NOT the text mail issue.

Takes an OLD sprint phone and some time.

First, put your EVO back to a STOCK ROOTED ROM.

Get your old phone out of the junk drawer (HAS TO BE A NON ANDROID PHONE) and call Sprint. Have the OLD phone switched back onto your account (thus removing your EVO from your account).

Once the OLD phone is activated follow all the steps to activate your voice mail account.

Call your phone from a land line phone and leave yourself a message, then call your voice mail on your old phone and delete it. MAKE SURE THERE ARE NO OTHER MESSAGES IN YOUR YOUR VOICE MAIL ACCOUNT.

Now you can call Sprint back and reset up your EVO. Once your EVO is all set up your EVO will reprovision your VM account. Follow all the instructions to get your VM account setup again. This would be a good time to update all the radios, PRI and PRL and make sure you update your profile.

No go back into recovery and wipe all and either NAN Droid back to your old ROM or start fresh. If you Nandroid back to a ROM with the VM Icon on it, don't worry it will clear off.

Use Google Voice if you can from this point forward. I have flashed many AOSP ROMs since going through all these steps and I no longer have to STARE at the stupid VM Icon.
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Jetdr For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Jetdr
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 53
Bump this back up for those that might not have seen this fix. Takes some time to get it all done but I keep seeing post on how to get rid of the Voicemail Icon.

This process works perfectly.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jetdr For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

indagroove
Old
Thanks Meter 88
Thanks, I'm tempted to try, but such a pain in the ass.

anaglich
Old
Thanks Meter 41
What I do for the perfect rom...
Nexus 5, Nexus 7

Jetdr
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by indagroove View Post
Thanks, I'm tempted to try, but such a pain in the ass.

Yes it is but I am soooo glad that damn ICON is gone it was worth the time and effort. I have flashed back and forth between Sense and AOSP ROMs several times in the last few weeks and I have NOT had the voice Mail ICON sense.

dills2214
Old
(Last edited by dills2214; 19th January 2011 at 08:31 PM.) Reason: OMG IT WORKED!
Thanks Meter 34
Fixed!!!!!!!!! Posted my update on page 2 of this thread.

Vivix729
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Thank you for posting this and explaining the issue in the unofficial CM7 thread. I was getting sick of people saying "use Google Voice" when they have no idea what they are talking about.

I have an old Samsung phone...may try this.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

KingViper
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Worked like a charm. THANK YOU!!!!

Vivix729
Old
(Last edited by Vivix729; 8th January 2011 at 06:08 PM.)
Thanks Meter 15
Just did this...about to flash CM6. *fingers crossed*

BTW, you don't have to call....you can just use the Sprint chat.

EDIT: OH MY GOD IT WORKED.

Jetdr
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivix729 View Post
Just did this...about to flash CM6. *fingers crossed*

BTW, you don't have to call....you can just use the Sprint chat.

EDIT: OH MY GOD IT WORKED.

Yea!!! Glad it worked for you.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

Tags
phantom voicemail