[ROM] Redux v1.2 [Smooth|Clean|Stable|Open-sourced] (21st April)

Search This thread

ihlades

Jun 8, 2010
Bucharest

Redux is a custom ROM, built with three key aspects in mind: Clean, fast, stable.

This is not necessarily a hacker's ROM but thought for day-to-day usage scenarios. To keep it clean, only features that are considered useful by the development team will be included in Redux. This ensures that every single feature implemented will be carefully selected and programmed into the ROM's source code, which lead to stability and intuitive usage. Performance tweaks find their way into Redux quite often because speed and smoothness are two key features which must be present in a day-to-day usage scenario. Redux is mostly bugfree, again a vital feature for the 24/7 usage scenarios this ROM has been thought for.

Code source:

Since January 2011, Redux has become fully open-sourced. The code is available at Github.com, here.

Features:
  • Gingerbread base, coming straight from AOSP.
  • Lightweight and clean builds
  • Built for day-to-day usage, meaning stability and good battery life
  • Fast and smooth, the UI is working very nice
  • User interface tweaks and additions
  • Added functionality, such as new Browser and Camera options
  • Makes use of ext partition on SD card, to provide space for more apps

More detailed features included in this ROM are available in the changelog from the second post. You can also find a quick FAQ over there.

Requirements:
  • Amon-RA or ClockworkMod recovery to flash the image

Installation:
Flash the .zip file from recovery. If coming from another ROM, erase /data and /cache partitions.

ROM Downloads:
Official Redux download page (Stock and themed version available)

Test builds and other downloads are available as well.

Credits:
  • CyanogenMod team for their work on enhancing Android;
  • Beenee for his wonderful work in vorkKernel;
  • Classical Gas for various graphics.

GPL Kernel source files: Github

rx_02.jpglockscreen.jpgnot_pow_widget.jpgcpu_settings.jpg

Attachments

• redux_black.png
    redux_black.png
    7 KB · Views: 234,437
Last edited:

ihlades

Jun 8, 2010
Bucharest
Disclaimer:

At least in its earliest versions, this ROM is not guaranteed to be perfectly stable, so I'm prepared to listen to bug reports and suggestions, as long as they're made in an organized way.

Team:
Code:
[B]ihlades[/B]

Read the FAQ below to learn how you can involve in the Redux project.

FAQ:

Q: I've installed it, what now?
A: Enjoy your Desire. Redux comes fully equipped and most usual tasks can be accomplished with the stock apps and settings. Google applications such as Gmail, Maps or Youtube are included as well.

Q: Is this compatible with Oxygen's HBOOT partitioning scheme?
A: Yes, since v1.0.0-RC4 Redux is compatible with such a small /system partition. While you shouldn't encounter issues, such an exotic partitioning scheme is not supported by the Redux team.

Q: I thought this ROM had A2SD. Why isn't there enough space on my phone?
A: Apps are being moved to the ext partition on the card but dalvik-cache is eating up a lot of space. If you can't live with this, download the 'apps_dalvik2ext' script from the add-ons section in the first post. Flash that like a regular update .zip (warning: the .zip isn't signed) and you should have more space on your /data partition.

Q: What's with all those kernels available as add-ons?
A: Those are the official Redux kernels. The Redux-SVS_BFS.zip is the stock 2.6.35.9 Redux kernel, used until v1.1.1. The ULV add-on isn't a standalone kernel, but just a script which lowers the voltages fed to the CPU. Since not many phones can handle these low voltages, this add-on may cause severe instability problems for many Desires. This means we won't offer any support for problems occuring with lowered voltages.

Q: What about those test builds?
A: Once in a while the first post will contain links to test builds (snapshot builds or release candidates). Those are a glimpse of what's to come in future versions of Redux but aren't fully supported. Altough they're pretty stable in general, these test builds may still have issues. Providing feedback on them will ensure the quality of the final release.

Q: Will this feature be included in the next release? Please!
A: Best thing to do is ask in the forum. Most eye-candy, bragging features won't be included, Redux is not a sole demonstration of how mancy bounce effects you can have in Android. Features that will be considered useful will however be implemented sooner or later.

Q: How can I build redux from the source?
A: Since the source code is entirely hosted at Github, you can download the source code and then compile it for yourself (text in square brackets is optional):

repo init -u git://github.com/Redux/android_manifest.git
repo sync -j 8
. build/envsetup.sh
lunch bravo-user
make redux RX_KERNEL=true [THEMED=true]

Q: What can I do to help? Can I join the team?
A: You can improve Redux at any time. You can help with translations or code improvements at Redux's Github, using pull requests, reporting problems with Redux in this thread or helping out new users.

Q: Where's the donate button?
A: Nowhere. Redux isn't built for money, nor is it a very big project. If you'd like to offer support for the team, please help with finding and fixing problems, translating Redux or help new users. Let the community be what money can't be.

Changelog:
Full changelog available here.

Last edited:

Pajorve

Jul 13, 2010
Osasco/SP
Great Job man

I'll test your rom, because from what I read seems to be a good job ...

thanks and a happy new year to you!
:D

mrBira

Oct 27, 2010
I'll try it when i get home. Seems great :D

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

mrBira

Oct 27, 2010
I am ready to flash it now. Thanks a lot!

Let us who can't try it for some hours know about your experience =)

EDIT: Installing now! Really, really hope this rom has what the other Ginger roms didn't..

EDIT#2: Amazed how fast the install was!!
Continuing with setting up settings, and installing apps to test speed of it.

Last edited:

abc001

Mar 16, 2006
This ROM is quite good and stable. However, is there any working FM radio for this ROM? I have tried the ones from MIUI and Oxygen R5, but unfortunately both of them don't work! FC....

One more thing, the pull down status bar is excellent. It will be more ideal if Data service icon can be added or it can be user configurable. Good job, man.

Last edited:

gautam.malik

Aug 29, 2010
Berlin
Hi ihlades,

Congratulations on your first ROM!!

Did you compile this rom from source?
Or did you modify various gingerbread roms available here?

If you compiled from the AOSP gingerbread branch, can you please give me the steps? I'm trying to compile, but failing badly.

CheesySeb

Sep 29, 2010
Gatwick
Very nice Rom, coming from Adams oxygen Rom there are only a couple of things I'd like:

stop app via long press back
User agent selection in browser

Love the power control in status car though. Also no picture on lockscreen I like from a privacy point of view.

A couple of issues after the install, strangely fixed when restored system settings from oxygen via titanium backup. WiFi wasn't working and neither was normal data!

Can't wait for the video recording issue to be addressed!

papepo

May 16, 2008
Albal
Its very good rom, where are the apn, i cant conect to internet
Thanks for your rom
Im sorry my english

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Redux is a custom ROM, built with three key aspects in mind: Clean, fast, stable.

This is not necessarily a hacker's ROM but thought for day-to-day usage scenarios. To keep it clean, only features that are considered useful by the development team will be included in Redux. This ensures that every single feature implemented will be carefully selected and programmed into the ROM's source code, which lead to stability and intuitive usage. Performance tweaks find their way into Redux quite often because speed and smoothness are two key features which must be present in a day-to-day usage scenario. Redux is mostly bugfree, again a vital feature for the 24/7 usage scenarios this ROM has been thought for.

Code source:

Since January 2011, Redux has become fully open-sourced. The code is available at Github.com, here.

Features:
    • Gingerbread base, coming straight from AOSP.
    • Lightweight and clean builds
    • Built for day-to-day usage, meaning stability and good battery life
    • Fast and smooth, the UI is working very nice
    • User interface tweaks and additions
    • Added functionality, such as new Browser and Camera options
    • Makes use of ext partition on SD card, to provide space for more apps

More detailed features included in this ROM are available in the changelog from the second post. You can also find a quick FAQ over there.

Requirements:
    • Amon-RA or ClockworkMod recovery to flash the image

Installation:
    Flash the .zip file from recovery. If coming from another ROM, erase /data and /cache partitions.

ROM Downloads:
    Official Redux download page (Stock and themed version available)

Test builds and other downloads are available as well.

Credits:
    • CyanogenMod team for their work on enhancing Android;
    • Beenee for his wonderful work in vorkKernel;
    • Classical Gas for various graphics.

GPL Kernel source files: Github

rx_02.jpglockscreen.jpgnot_pow_widget.jpgcpu_settings.jpg
    Disclaimer:

At least in its earliest versions, this ROM is not guaranteed to be perfectly stable, so I'm prepared to listen to bug reports and suggestions, as long as they're made in an organized way.

Team:
    Code:
    [B]ihlades[/B]

Read the FAQ below to learn how you can involve in the Redux project.

FAQ:

Q: I've installed it, what now?
    A: Enjoy your Desire. Redux comes fully equipped and most usual tasks can be accomplished with the stock apps and settings. Google applications such as Gmail, Maps or Youtube are included as well.

Q: Is this compatible with Oxygen's HBOOT partitioning scheme?
    A: Yes, since v1.0.0-RC4 Redux is compatible with such a small /system partition. While you shouldn't encounter issues, such an exotic partitioning scheme is not supported by the Redux team.

Q: I thought this ROM had A2SD. Why isn't there enough space on my phone?
    A: Apps are being moved to the ext partition on the card but dalvik-cache is eating up a lot of space. If you can't live with this, download the 'apps_dalvik2ext' script from the add-ons section in the first post. Flash that like a regular update .zip (warning: the .zip isn't signed) and you should have more space on your /data partition.

Q: What's with all those kernels available as add-ons?
    A: Those are the official Redux kernels. The Redux-SVS_BFS.zip is the stock 2.6.35.9 Redux kernel, used until v1.1.1. The ULV add-on isn't a standalone kernel, but just a script which lowers the voltages fed to the CPU. Since not many phones can handle these low voltages, this add-on may cause severe instability problems for many Desires. This means we won't offer any support for problems occuring with lowered voltages.

Q: What about those test builds?
    A: Once in a while the first post will contain links to test builds (snapshot builds or release candidates). Those are a glimpse of what's to come in future versions of Redux but aren't fully supported. Altough they're pretty stable in general, these test builds may still have issues. Providing feedback on them will ensure the quality of the final release.

Q: Will this feature be included in the next release? Please!
    A: Best thing to do is ask in the forum. Most eye-candy, bragging features won't be included, Redux is not a sole demonstration of how mancy bounce effects you can have in Android. Features that will be considered useful will however be implemented sooner or later.

Q: How can I build redux from the source?
    A: Since the source code is entirely hosted at Github, you can download the source code and then compile it for yourself (text in square brackets is optional):

repo init -u git://github.com/Redux/android_manifest.git
    repo sync -j 8
    . build/envsetup.sh
    lunch bravo-user
    make redux RX_KERNEL=true [THEMED=true]

Q: What can I do to help? Can I join the team?
    A: You can improve Redux at any time. You can help with translations or code improvements at Redux's Github, using pull requests, reporting problems with Redux in this thread or helping out new users.

Q: Where's the donate button?
    A: Nowhere. Redux isn't built for money, nor is it a very big project. If you'd like to offer support for the team, please help with finding and fixing problems, translating Redux or help new users. Let the community be what money can't be.

Changelog:
    Full changelog available here.
    Ok, I think I need to state a few things:

• Redux being 2.3.1 and not 2.3.3 isn't entirely true. Some changes included in 2.3.3 were ported to Redux, merged via a single commit (so you can't really tell about what has changed only by looking at the commit log).
    • Redux not being really 2.3.3 is true though: The framework isn't based on the latest 2.3.3 version as released by google. I started work using the 2.3.1 framework then implementing different changes, including most important ones from the AOSP.
    • 2.3.1/2.3.3 is just a label. And if we're harsh we can say Redux doesn't belong to any of these versions entirely, without making any mistakes. Redux uses code from 2.3.1 as well as 2.3.3 in a mixed way, meaning you can't just assign a version to Redux's framework. Advertising this ROM as 2.3.3 was, most probably, a mistake however.

As a result of these, starting with the next version the 2.3.3 naming schema will be changed (perhaps to 2.3.r? :p). GRI40 fingerprint will be gone, as that is a label as well. I'm not going to fundamentally change Redux's framework only to be eligible for the 2.3.3 name. I'm more interested in pure functionality and from my point of view Redux is a well built, good working ROM.
    Wait!! I can hear something...! Is it that RC3 coming...?? ;)

What?! Where'd you hear that from? :p It's already here.
    Many people have the same problem :D i to^^

I hadn't seen this because I hadn't wiped. Who would've thought? :p Working on a fix, will post an update as soon as it works.

Sorry guys.