Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,883 Members 41,670 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: Are you returning the phone?
Yes 20 40.82%
No 29 59.18%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

[Q] Are you returning the phone?

Tip us?

pakkei
Old
(Last edited by pakkei; 3rd January 2011 at 08:04 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [Q] Are you returning the phone?

After dealing with all the delays, non-existent support and updates and failed promises to ship the phone with next day shipping, I decided that I had tolerated enough and demanded my money back. Hopefully that is easy.

Here's why Dell Venue Pro sucks:

1. Too big. Usually big is a 'good' thing according to the trend of 2010. However, when it's big but also thick, it reminds me of my iPAQ from 12 years ago. With the Otter Case it gets even worse.

2. Horrible Camera. It's slow to activate unlike the Focus, and it takes blurry pictures even in just slightly dim light. I know that no camera phones can take pictures in dim light well, but DVP's camera is blurry even in a room during the day. My T-Mo G1 can do better than that.

3. No 4G. Just a UI change is not enough to switch phones and pay more per month as I had been using Android, and all the newest droids out there have way faster speeds that can even do video chat.

4. Keyboard is not that well integrated. Turns out the "fn" key and "shift" key are highly unpredictable, since it doesn't have any indicator that it's simply on or locked on. I mistyped more password than I did with the soft keyboard. Therefore, it's not worth the bulk.

5. Thoroughly unhackable. No SD Card slot access. No tethering trick. No screenshot trick.

6. Bottom buttons are capacitive. Looking back, the dev phone was perhaps the only great phone because they have hard buttons for Back, Windows and Search keys. Using touch buttons for these important commands make the OS experience finicky. For example, it's too easy to hit the Bing button accidentally while taking photos. It was also way too easy to got kicked out of a game - and having the resume afterwards makes things worse.

7. No confidence left for Dell Mobility, or even Dell in general: They folded the mobile division already. Their updates for Dell Aero and Dell Streak took months and months to fulfill, so how will the DVP be any different? We had already suffered through the lack of information on shipping, and I would expect firmware updates not to be any different.

8. This thing crashes. Unlike some other users here, mine crashes even when Wifi is off. The crashes are all random and not confined to Marketplace or 3rd party apps. If Dell was not so irresponsible, I would ask for an exchange instead of a return, but this is a dealbreaker to me.

One thing I am glad about it is, I had waited long enough to find out about Samsung's Omnia 8, and probably better phones to come in CES and Mobile World Congress.

Thanks, Dell, for being awful, and ruining what would be a good phone.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pakkei For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bbowman
Old
Thanks Meter 9
I plan on giving Dell one more shot. I've been waiting a week now for my replacement. I'll wait for that replacement (even if it takes another week or two) and if the replacement is unstable or has any other problem then I'll return it and pick another phone.

You are right, this phone could be near perfect. It just seems that Dell rushed it.
The Following User Says Thank You to bbowman For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rsacipher
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I'm in the same boat. I love the phone except a few major problems.

1- WiFi Crashing
2- Bluetooth not staying connected

Below are WP7 issues
3- Cannot sync with Outlook
4-No mass storage
5- Cannot connect to hidden WiFi networks!!!!

I miss cut and past but can live without it I need the rest fixed if I'm going to be able to keep it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rsacipher For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

alodar1
Old
Thanks Meter 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsacipher View Post
I'm in the same boat. I love the phone except a few major problems.

1- WiFi Crashing
2- Bluetooth not staying connected

Below are WP7 issues
3- Cannot sync with Outlook
4-No mass storage
5- Cannot connect to hidden WiFi networks!!!!

I miss cut and past but can live without it I need the rest fixed if I'm going to be able to keep it.
I don't know....my WiFi lags but doesn't crash. My BT is fine. Outlook syncs fine, but I've been syncing cloud stuff fine. Storage, I have 16gigs. Will I use more..who knows or cares. Hidden WiFi...something strange about that. Its hidden for a reason, if dvp could see it, ITT wouldn't be hidden. Seems like homey reasons to quit to me. But then again , you're not me. I got what I expected. Is it 100% perfect? Nope...but I wasn't expecting it to be. I wonder if iphone4 people are returning it because of the alarm...to me the best reason to return a phone is...i don't like it. All other reasons show up on most other phones too... Just my opinion
Regards

@Alodar1

Device Graveyard:
Nokia 925, Nokia Lumia 900, HTX 8x, Motorola Xoom, Focus S, Lumia 710, Dell Venue Pro, HD7, Droid Bionic, T-MobileG2x, HTC Sensation, HD2, Nexus One, Cliq, MyTouch 3g, TP2, AT&T Pure, Xperia 1, AT&T Fuze, Touch Dual, Hermes
The Following User Says Thank You to alodar1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

lemonspeakers
Old
Thanks Meter 92
this phone has more problems now that i think about it. but mines a keeper. i like the windows UI and the look of the dvp. its rare and you cant just buy it at, say, tmobile stores. =D
The Following User Says Thank You to lemonspeakers For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Yelpy
Old
(Last edited by Yelpy; 3rd January 2011 at 10:38 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
I love the phone but you know as much as I love it I can't use a phone that doesn't work. When I pay $550 for a phone I think the least it can do is work so as much as it kills me I called them last night and told them I want my money back. I gave them a week or so to see if they would give some responce to the problems posted on the forums but nothing which means they're not going to fix the problems or they're going to be real slow about it. And the whole 30days thing you guys have over here means I cant really wait around to find out so I'll have my money back thanks!

The problems I had with the phone were numerous:

- WiFi crashing constantly
- bluetooth constantly disconnecting from car kit
- 3G signal loss and complete network loss
- white noise in earphones

...and then to top it all off, and this is a WP7 issue more so than a DVP issue - however the marketplace works and because I used my old windows live id to setup the phone, M$ basically still think I'm in Ireland for whatever reason and as a result I can't download any of the good stuff eg: Netflix, LastFM etc... and some apps I download are for european region instead of US and so are completely useless to me.

Anyway all in all I had no choice but to get a refund. Bummer!

vastcomm
Old
Thanks Meter 0
This venue pro will be going back for the same reasons which have been found in this post.

1. No 4G. Just a UI change is not enough to switch phones and pay more per month as I had been using Android, and all the newest droids out there have way faster speeds that can even do video chat.

2. Keyboard is not that well integrated. Turns out the "fn" key and "shift" key are highly unpredictable, since it doesn't have any indicator that it's simply on or locked on. I mistyped more password than I did with the soft keyboard. Therefore, it's not worth the bulk.

3. Thoroughly unhackable. No SD Card slot access. No tethering trick. No screenshot trick.

4. Bottom buttons are capacitive. Looking back, the dev phone was perhaps the only great phone because they have hard buttons for Back, Windows and Search keys. Using touch buttons for these important commands make the OS experience finicky. For example, it's too easy to hit the Bing button accidentally while taking photos. It was also way too easy to got kicked out of a game - and having the resume afterwards makes things worse.

5. No confidence left for Dell Mobility, or even Dell in general: They folded the mobile division already. Their updates for Dell Aero and Dell Streak took months and months to fulfill, so how will the DVP be any different? We had already suffered through the lack of information on shipping, and I would expect firmware updates not to be any different.

6. This thing crashes. Unlike some other users here, mine crashes even when Wifi is off. The crashes are all random and not confined to Marketplace or 3rd party apps. If Dell was not so irresponsible, I would ask for an exchange instead of a return, but this is a dealbreaker to me.

I no longer feel confident with DELL. Furthermore, I dont like how we were treated throughout this launch, especially in a economy when spending 500+ dollars on a item is a luxury. I have purchased phones outright before and have never gone through a process like this.

I wanted to believe that this phone could of been more but if I wait until my 30 days are up I will be s### out of luck. I'll see what CES has up its sleeve.

This venue is definitely going back unless something miraculously happens with DELL or Microsoft regarding the phones OS. I doubt it though.

rsacipher
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by alodar1 View Post
I don't know....my WiFi lags but doesn't crash. My BT is fine. Outlook syncs fine, but I've been syncing cloud stuff fine. Storage, I have 16gigs. Will I use more..who knows or cares. Hidden WiFi...something strange about that. Its hidden for a reason, if dvp could see it, ITT wouldn't be hidden. Seems like homey reasons to quit to me. But then again , you're not me. I got what I expected. Is it 100% perfect? Nope...but I wasn't expecting it to be. I wonder if iphone4 people are returning it because of the alarm...to me the best reason to return a phone is...i don't like it. All other reasons show up on most other phones too... Just my opinion
The phone syncs with Exchange not Outlook, 16GB is good for storage if all you want is music and videos, forget if you want other files and there is no explorer to find files anyways.
My company hides their SSID as many companies do, if you have the settings you can connect and my WM5 phones would connect but I can't with the latest and greatest from MS while people at my company with Android and iPhones connect with no issues.
For the money I spent I wasn't expecting a beta unit because this thing was not ready for primetime.

pjfan75
Old
Thanks Meter 6
I'm keeping my 8GB model. I don't have any crashing issues whether or not WiFi is on.

It would be nice if the cam were better and there wasn't some slight hissing through headphones during quiet segments of music, but neither of these are deal breakers to me. Supposedly Dell is working on updating the cam software, but again, not a huge deal to me.

bernaserra
Old
Thanks Meter 3
It it going back.

Dell support is no good and rude, most don't even know what the DVP is. Every step of my dealing with dell has been a pain from getting my phone to the 4 hours it took trying to get it activated with the rep from dell who kept trying to get me off the line so he could "call me back."

The phone is very nice but so not worth the hassle. Dell has given me the worst customer service I have ever had, no way in hell I am gonna be stuck dealing with them for the next 2 years.

Mine for some reason would not turn on unless I popped the battery multiple times. Kept losing service on the 2g/3g switch, photos were absolute trash.

I will miss what could of been, but this thing is going back. On to my iPhone.