Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,054 Members 46,792 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] 3G Speeds on Epic 4G Extremely Slow?

Tip us?

Art2Fly
Old
(Last edited by Art2Fly; 3rd January 2011 at 08:24 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 382
Default [Q] 3G Speeds on Epic 4G Extremely Slow?

Well, ive had the Epic for about 2 months now. Got into the rooting scene and have been flashing all kinds of roms and hacks, but something has never changed for me. My 3G Speeds are about as fast as dial up... i cannot watch youtube without waiting half an hour for a 5 minute buffer, and barely can wifi tether because the connection is too damn slow. im getting about 194 kbps down and 98 kbps up, which is trash compared to what i used to get with ATT (1.2 mbps/800kbps). I am running on DK28, and have Epic Experience 2.0.0.5 installed EVEN WITH the viperROM data governor killer. Can someone please help me with this incredibly annoying issue?

othan1
Old
Thanks Meter 41
It's the phone. The Evo and the Moment both get better speeds on 3G than this phone.

It's disappointing.

Art2Fly
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 382
I am sorry, but i need a second opinion of this... I payed $530 for a phone that doesnt get 3g speeds?

BeerChameleon
Old
Thanks Meter 1,206

DONATE TO ME
Sorry to here that, however im on stock 2.1 eclair rooted, custom kernal and my 3g is fast and i get faster speed then your earlier att speeds, Even when i have poor 3g service it still blazing fast, right now im using it to wifi tether using mobile ap to stream music on my ipod touch and was downloading 6mb gba roms and got 4 of those downloaded in like 3 min total.

What rom are u running i have no issues with 1x/3g/4g

lviv73
Old
Thanks Meter 93
Man,i had constant 500-700kbps on Tmobile before lame ass sprint rep promised me 4G in one month of my Epic purcHase(October 11,2010),now im stuck with 70-200kbps(about 120kbps most of the time) and now that I bought the phone sprint reps dont know when 4G is coming to Biffalo,NY.My ATT 2G 3 years ago was faster the Sprint's 3G.
It used to take me 20min to download a movie on,tmobile now its like 2-4 hours.Man,i feel like walkin to Sprint and splittin that dude's head open for telling me all this.

lviv73
Old
Thanks Meter 93
I havet tried data governor killer yet,it improves speed?If so how much improvement would I see?

A_Flying_Fox
Old
Thanks Meter 172
Q
Quote:
Originally Posted by lviv73 View Post
Man,i had constant 500-700kbps on Tmobile before lame ass sprint rep promised me 4G in one month of my Epic purcHase(October 11,2010),now im stuck with 70-200kbps(about 120kbps most of the time) and now that I bought the phone sprint reps dont know when 4G is coming to Biffalo,NY.My ATT 2G 3 years ago was faster the Sprint's 3G.
It used to take me 20min to download a movie on,tmobile now its like 2-4 hours.Man,i feel like walkin to Sprint and splittin that dude's head open for telling me all this.
Man my hero had a hell of a lot more speed than the epic on 3g. My hero was 1.8mb d/l 1mb u/l

Epic is 150-250kb and 100kb for dl and ul

Not to mention,the ping is horrible. The epics ping is 150-200ms compared to my heros 50ish ping

On 4g the ping is still horible with 150-200ms, but I get 6mb dl and 1mb ul on average, sometimes I get 1MB/s download but the upload seems to be capped at 1mb/s

I think sprint gimped this phones speeds to ensure the evo was good and banwidth free

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

BeerChameleon
Old
Thanks Meter 1,206

DONATE TO ME
Well what ive noticed is that AT&T 3g Speeds Crawl Everywhere i go compared to sprint, sprint has always been the most reliable and fastest for me. Ive been on my HTC touch.Touch pro 2 and My latest epic and always been fast data just slow phones. my epic has been blazzing fast on data compared to my friends iphone, my old phones and gross t-mobile

slybarman
Old
Thanks Meter 142
I think it is the network. I get lousy 3g speeds in some places and excellent 3g speeds in others.

lviv73
Old
Thanks Meter 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Flying_Fox View Post
Q

Man my hero had a hell of a lot more speed than the epic on 3g. My hero was 1.8mb d/l 1mb u/l

Epic is 150-250kb and 100kb for dl and ul

Not to mention,the ping is horrible. The epics ping is 150-200ms compared to my heros 50ish ping

On 4g the ping is still horible with 150-200ms, but I get 6mb dl and 1mb ul on average, sometimes I get 1MB/s download but the upload seems to be capped at 1mb/s

I think sprint gimped this phones speeds to ensure the evo was good and banwidth free

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App
Yeah,Sprint's ping and latency makes 200kbps seem like 50kbps.But still this is 2011 and not 2007,200kbps on 3G is a joke.
Plus I read that when Epic/Evo have their 4G turned on they lag so much that you have to reboot them 3-4 times a day.