Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,779,023 Members 43,943 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Archos 101 Broken screen

Tip us?

Bigwasp
Old
(Last edited by Bigwasp; 4th January 2011 at 02:23 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [Q] Archos 101 Broken screen

Hi Guys,

I have a 101 16GB with a broken screen. Archos no longer repair this as it is out of warranty.

Can someone help, is there any reason why I couldn't replace the screen and digitizer myself?

Does any know where to purchase screens for the 101? I have checked ebay and there is one but that doesn't come with a Digitizer.

or can some suggest where could replace it for me?

Thanks
BW

d31b0y
Old
Thanks Meter 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwasp View Post
Hi Guys,

I have a 101 16GB with a broken screen. Archos no longer repair this as it is out of warranty.

Can someone help, is there any reason why I couldn't replace the screen and digitizer myself?

Does any know where to purchase screens for the 101? I have checked ebay and there is one but that doesn't come with a Digitizer.

or can some suggest where could replace it for me?

Thanks
BW
Yeah, apparently Archos don't cover hardware issues unless it's an issue with defective hardware.

I broke my screen too. I had a good look around for new screen and digitizer but couldn't find any. In fact, I reckon the one that you found on ebay was made for the (very similar) 10.2" laptop. I haven't checked in a while so I could be wrong, but that was all that I could find.

I assume when you say Archos won't repair it, you mean they won't repair it for free?

I ended up having to send mine back to Archos for repair and it cost €123 altogether. It also took close to 2 months to get back to me. Just got it back there on the 30th of December.

Bigwasp
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
No Archos won't repair it full stop. The start of the week it broke they had stopped repairing out of warranty and because this is not warranty they will not repair. I told them I was willing to pay. Made no difference.

d31b0y
Old
Thanks Meter 30
Wow, really? Sorry to hear that. It does beg the question though... How many devices had broken screens repaired before they pulled the plug?

Unfortunately, I think it's a bit too early for a 3rd party to fix the device, it just hasn't been out long enough for the parts to be manufactured yet. But it's surely only a matter of time.

Note: I was actually sent back a new device. Different serial number. Maybe they just don't have the stock to send out replacement devices. We all know the difficulty they are having keeping up with demand (which in itself is a bit ridiculous but that's another story).

I'm in Ireland by the way.

Bigwasp
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
I'm in Ireland also, what was wrong with yours? if it was a cracked screen when did you send it back?

d31b0y
Old
Thanks Meter 30
Yep, cracked screen. I put the charger in with the device in my bag and it must have gotten a pretty bad bang but when I took it out the screen was cracked.

I got my device at the start of November. The 5th I think. It broke on the 10th (5!! days after I had it ). I had it in the post by the 15th at the latest.

txtmikhail
Old
Thanks Meter 369
archos tried to charge me $209 for a replacement screen.. they said that the screen cost the most to manufacture.. i know thats gotta be a lie for $208....

tigerdirect.com who i brought the archos from is willing to replace it since im within my 30days policy.. so helpfully ill be back in business by next month..

calmant224
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Archos Repairs Service

If you want to order an Archos part (LCD screen ,Touch screen ,Hard drive,Charging connector ,Main board ,Head phone connector or any other parts)Please contact us repair-my-device.com .Or you can send it to us for repair.

joefloater
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmant224 View Post
If you want to order an Archos part (LCD screen ,Touch screen ,Hard drive,Charging connector ,Main board ,Head phone connector or any other parts)Please contact us repair-my-device.com .Or you can send it to us for repair.
I contacted, 130 pounds + 14 pound shipping = $233 canadian. I can buy a brand new 101 for 260 right from Archos..... can you say " giving it to us up the hoop"........Pass!!
Nexus 5 Black 32gb TwistedKat

Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 CleanRom

Nexus 7 SmoothRom

Retired: Asus Transformer TF101, Nook HD+, Galaxy S3, Galaxy S2X, HP Touchpad, Atrix 4G, Sony Xperia X10

gammaRascal
Old
(Last edited by gammaRascal; 24th April 2012 at 12:58 PM.)
Thanks Meter 85
My wife just dropped hers and the digitizer is shattered - the screen works fine, still boots and displays everything. Touch input is non-responsive, however.

Looking around I'm finding out that it's a wash. Can't even buy aftermarket parts to fix it myself. What a ****ing shame.
Interested in a custom Boot Animation for your ROM? Contact me! Want to incorporate one of my stand-alone Boot animation? Contact me!
][ Frosty-Boot [v.Clean, v.ACER & v.Full]
][ Android [GEARS]
][ Xoom-Port [Xacer]