[Q] Dead Live Tiles?

OP greggerca

4th January 2011, 09:17 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1

67 posts
More
Hi there,
Not sure if this is a Quantum issue or a WP7 issue, but some of my Live Tiles aren't so "Live" anymore.

Particularly Weatherbug doesn't update anymore. The app is fine, but the tile is not.

I removed locations, changed Live Tile settings, uninstalled, reinstalled, unpinned it, rebooted, re-pinned it, etc.

I'm wondering if it is a another app that does Live Tile things that busted it. For instance, OMG (the game) wouldn't start when I installed the really terrible Amazon app (which put itself in Games for some reason). Once the Amazon app was gone, OMG was fine.

Just wondering if anyone else has seen this, and if they found a fix.

Thanks,
TTFN
Gregg
Last edited by greggerca; 4th January 2011 at 09:18 PM. Reason: bad grammar
13th January 2011, 11:37 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 0

8 posts
More
Same issue with weatherbug... only updates if I go into the app and look at the weather...
14th January 2011, 02:20 AM   |  #3  
Flag naples, fl
Thanks Meter: 3

86 posts
More
I was having the same problem too, but it fixes itself somehow... maybe on weatherbug's side?
14th January 2011, 03:43 AM   |  #4  
Flag Kansas City
Thanks Meter: 0

87 posts
More
Drop Weatherbug and switch to Weather Channel. It's better anyway.
14th January 2011, 08:52 AM   |  #5  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1

67 posts
More
I think it was an app conflict. The AP News app also had a stuck Dead Tile.

After I moved Smug Seven off the home screen, opened AP a couple times, the WeatherBug and AP tiles started to update again. It wasn't just WeatherBug. I think it was an implementation bug in Smug Seven (it was a new app feature back then).

As an aside (since nobody asked)... I had both Weather Channel and WeatherBug installed. And a couple other weather things. I ditched Weather Channel because the design of the app is a total afterthought for WP7. I didn't like their iPhone app either. Weather Channel wanted you to buy their real app. Maybe they have the same strategy here too.

Anyway, to me it looks cluttered. It could just be the background image fighting with the foreground info. It also hung on me a few times.

Visually, I think WeatherBug's app looks cleaner and has more of the details I like. It also leverages the Metro metaphor's strengths (like being able to flick between summaries and hourly forecasts). It has a few weird things too and some of the features may be hidden to some users (like tapping the city name).

At least we have some apps to choose from!
TTFN
Gregg
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
quantum, weatherbug, wp7
Previous Thread Next Thread