Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,583 Members 38,297 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] how to tether G-tablet?

Tip us?

yelrx8
Old
(Last edited by yelrx8; 5th January 2011 at 12:32 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Default [Q] how to tether G-tablet?

Before I buy a G-tablet, one of my major requirement is to be able to tether via my WM6.1 phones (htc mogul and htc 8525).
The 3 options from the WM phones are 1) built-in DUN USB 2) built-in DUN BT 3) WMwifirouter.
I've been digging through the xda forums and it seems like there are no standard ways to use any of these 3 options.

Specifically:
For USB method, android does not have the required drivers.
For BT method, android does not have a built-in BT tether profile.
For wifirouter, android does not allow ad-hoc wifi connections.

There are some work around threads, like for ad-hoc wifi tether the kyros tablet is doing this with limited success:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=860489

for BT tether, seems like the archos tablets has a BT profile built-in:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=893589

Do anyone have a work-around or solution for the G-tablet?
Sorry if this thread is a repeat.

btw, its a bit difficult searching for this because most threads are about tether FROM an android device. In this case, we need to tether TO an android device.

sanvara
Old
(Last edited by sanvara; 5th January 2011 at 02:51 AM.)
Thanks Meter 14
I tether with wmwifirouter without problems using a touch pro 2 on sprint.

lordgodgeneral
Old
Thanks Meter 47
The G tablet will connect via ad-hoc with an easy fix, if you do a search on the forums there's an update zip you can apply to stock to enable it, or all the custom ROM's have the ability built in. I use mine daily running on my Droid 1 using wireless tether.

TeamSpeed
Old
Thanks Meter 27

DONATE TO ME
I am running stock 3389 with the gapps enhancement, and once I rooted my work droid x and installed wifi tether, my gtab found it with no issues and connected to it once i set up the wep key. Now I have to see what Verizon is going to do if my account on our corporate account exceeds some sort of data limit since we are not paying them for the wifi tethering/high data rate for my one account. Others have been upgraded accordingly as need arises, so I guess I will see what happens.
The Following User Says Thank You to TeamSpeed For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Puteri
Old
(Last edited by Puteri; 18th May 2011 at 07:36 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by yelrx8 View Post
Before I buy a G-tablet, one of my major requirement is to be able to tether via my WM6.1 phones (htc mogul and htc 8525).
The 3 options from the WM phones are 1) built-in DUN USB 2) built-in DUN BT 3) WMwifirouter.
I've been digging through the xda forums and it seems like there are no standard ways to use any of these 3 options.

Specifically:
For USB method, android does not have the required drivers.
For BT method, android does not have a built-in BT tether profile.
For wifirouter, android does not allow ad-hoc wifi connections.

There are some work around threads, like for ad-hoc wifi tether the kyros tablet is doing this with limited success:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=860489

for BT tether, seems like the archos tablets has a BT profile built-in:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=893589

Do anyone have a work-around or solution for the G-tablet?
Sorry if this thread is a repeat.

btw, its a bit difficult searching for this because most threads are about tether FROM an android device. In this case, we need to tether TO an android device.
PdaNet tethering on my jailbroken iPhone 3g works after I flashed VEGAn-TAB GINGEREDITION on my G tab. My G tab had no problem recognizing PdaNet on my iPhone. Woohoo!

crm_007
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I am also looking for a solution tethering my blackberry bold to gtab. I had tried several methods but no luck so far. We probably need BT tether profile for Gtab. Not sure if someone can porting Archos' BT profile to gtab.

Dollar Bill
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Seems I need to set up the android phone to act as a wifi hotspot. I am using a Viewpoint gtab with Vegan 5.1. I am guessing the the gtab is ready to receive/interact, but the phone needs something.

I have DL easy-tether for the phone and it asks me to DL for the "computer" offering Windows, Mac, Unbuntu and Fedora.

If I have easy-tether on my andriod phone (Motorolo Atrexx), is that enough to establish a connection with the gtab? If so, how? If not, what do I need to do?

The phone has not been flashed with a new rom.

Tags
gtab, tether, wm6