Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,054 Members 46,327 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Disassembling the EPIC 4G?

Tip us?

kzn
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default Disassembling the EPIC 4G?

Has anyone done it before? There is a video on youtube, but it only goes as far as the keyboard. I'm looking to get to the LCD to fix/replace it because of discoloration from water damage. Anyone thinks it's possible?

A_Flying_Fox
Old
Thanks Meter 172
I remember a thread like this being made a while ago...if you're on a computer, just search and you should find it. I can't post a link, but I think the guy in that thread replaced it succesfully.

There was also alotta chatter about insurance covering it

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

sauron0101
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Here's a tear down of the Epic 4G:
http://www.chipworks.com/en/technica...g-smart-phone/

Try asking a repair technician. The truth is, body repairs can be quite pricey - to the point where you might as well be getting a new phone in many cases.

DiGi760
Old
Thanks Meter 84
I watched someone else take mine apart. There are an awful lot of little screws, but you can definitely seperate the case, the screen, and the actual guts in about 10 or 15 minutes.

kenvan19
Old
Thanks Meter 543

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiGi760 View Post
I watched someone else take mine apart. There are an awful lot of little screws, but you can definitely seperate the case, the screen, and the actual guts in about 10 or 15 minutes.
The question then is can you get it back together ;)

Sent from my ext4 Epic 4G running Bonsai4all 1.1.3!
~Phone History~
HTC MyTouch 3G (Sold)>Samsung Epic 4G (Traded)>HTC Evo 4G (Sold)>Samsung Nexus S (Sold)>T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S 2 (AKA Hercules)

This message brought to you through the wonders of the web and Google via Android (Samsung Hercules), ChromeOS (Google Cr-48), or Chrome (Apple Macbook Pro)!

A_Flying_Fox
Old
Thanks Meter 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by sauron0101 View Post
Here's a tear down of the Epic 4G:
http://www.chipworks.com/en/technica...g-smart-phone/

Try asking a repair technician. The truth is, body repairs can be quite pricey - to the point where you might as well be getting a new phone in many cases.
I had TEP with my BB curve and I smashed it [was REALLLLLLY angry at my gf...she wasn't worth the BB :'( ] and I took it to a corporate store, and he fixed the screen in front of my face and I walked right out lol but that was a couple years ago

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

kzn
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
The phone still works, I just wouldn't want to look at pictures or watch videos on it since the color is all messed up. It's been about 2 weeks since the accident and it's still going! I just want to study this just for reference just in case it does go out. The replacement cost $60 on ebay, so I'd definitely do that, especially when I don't have insurance with Sprint (I think it still costs more than DIY) and I don't think Samsung fixes water damage through its warranty.

Oh well.

Thanks for the link! I'll check it out!

flawlessbmxr
Old
Thanks Meter 14
being a technician at an indirect sprint store, its a pain in the ass to separate the LED screen and the glass itself. the very best way to do it is either go to a 3rd party sprint store that has a full service(repair) center and either have them do an exchange if the tech is a nice guy (considering its water damage) or replace the part (which would be free as long as you have TEP). PM me with more questions if you have them
The Following User Says Thank You to flawlessbmxr For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

br//0k3/n
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kzn View Post
Has anyone done it before? There is a video on youtube, but it only goes as far as the keyboard. I'm looking to get to the LCD to fix/replace it because of discoloration from water damage. Anyone thinks it's possible?
Yeah, I've done it at least 20-30 times now. It's EXTREMELY difficult to get the lcd out and you'll more than likely end up breaking your phone.

flawlessbmxr
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by br//0k3/n View Post
Yeah, I've done it at least 20-30 times now. It's EXTREMELY difficult to get the lcd out and you'll more than likely end up breaking your phone.
Yea, you're definitely right about the LED itself. It's close to paper thin and made of a glass type material. it will break if you try to get it out. it's glued pretty good.