OP bcnice20

9th January 2011, 08:32 PM   |  #1  
OP Retired Recognized Developer
Flag south va.
Thanks Meter: 402

1,575 posts
Donate to Me
More
Please place all of your discussions about obtaining root on the Evo Shift here.

Temp root:
Temporary root can be acheived a number of ways on the shift the easiest being either z4root app or the visionary plus root app.

Z4root:
download here and install as you would any other apk
open the app and hit temporary root
let it run till you are notified of its success
you now have temporary root!!
*Note you have to reapply z4 each time you reboot your phone

Visionary:
full instructions and the link to visionary can be found here.
http://android.modaco.com/content/ht...ne-click-root/

IMPORTANT NOTE!
PLEASE DO NOT ACCEPT ANY OTA UPDATES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

they patched the root exploit on the desire z when they updated you can most definitely expect them to do the same for the shift so please for that sake of everybody being able to get proper root do not accept any updates unless further notified!!!

unless you just dont care about root that is.....
Last edited by bcnice20; 12th January 2011 at 02:14 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bcnice20 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th January 2011, 08:44 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 24

215 posts
so far, we got a temporary root.
No point in trying unrevoked as it scans for the device name and shows
"sorry, the device 'speedy' is not suppored" (paraphrasing)
wish i knew alittle more about this.
You can get to hboot by Holding down the vol down while powering on
9th January 2011, 08:53 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 6

37 posts
Also in a previous thread bubby323 requested a dump of /system and dnalevelc obliged:

* http://www.digglesworth.net/evoshift/system.7z

In another forum (androidcentral) someone noted that an app called VISIONary works to auto temp-root the Shift upon boot.

* http://android.modaco.com/content/ht...ne-click-root/

Edit: Also there's code to temp root the G2 using a different exploit below. I haven't attempted to run it on my Shift. Possibly not relevant since it has a newer version but could be if an update is pushed to the Shift:

* https://github.com/tmzt/g2root-kmod/...otty2/psneuter
Last edited by falz; 9th January 2011 at 09:21 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to falz For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th January 2011, 01:54 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 129

632 posts
More
got the shift today. MAN this thing is fast! i'd love to see unrevoked release a small update that supports the shift. otherwise i can do it the long way but i can't wait to see the scores once i get a custom ROM on it.
10th January 2011, 03:17 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 19

390 posts
Visonary does work, I turned on temproot on boot and then i pressed temproot now and it rebooted the phone. The phone was either taking its time or got stuck on the 4G for 2-3 mins so I pulled the battery and started the phone up again. I installed connectbot and typed su and got a #. Tried the reboot command and it wouldn't let me so I went into root explorer and it prompted the su app, gave it permission and started hacking away at bloatware..... no luck, it still came back from the grave :\
10th January 2011, 03:28 AM   |  #6  
Flag Space
Thanks Meter: 8

45 posts
Donate to Me
More
I successfully Temp rooted with z4root (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=833953) and I couldnt get the download off the market so I just went to 4shared.com and searched z4root and picked up 1.3.0 which is the latest version....

It worked great and I used Titanium back up and a screen shot app that both needed root.
10th January 2011, 05:37 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 129

632 posts
More
does anyone think the rageagainstthecage exploit will work on this? i assume people are working on it? cause if it does, that means unrevoked3 could possibly release a new version with shift support, right? since unrevoked is just an automated rageagainstthecage, right?

edit: i mean, for permanent root, S-OFF.
10th January 2011, 09:38 AM   |  #8  
Flag South City
Thanks Meter: 338

1,044 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven1022

I successfully Temp rooted with z4root (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=833953) and I couldnt get the download off the market so I just went to 4shared.com and searched z4root and picked up 1.3.0 which is the latest version....

It worked great and I used Titanium back up and a screen shot app that both needed root.

Z4Root temp root was a success but SU is telling me to upgrade by going into recovery, How do I go about this? I can't get any permissions for Rom Manager, Titanium, BusyBox, Etc...
10th January 2011, 09:43 AM   |  #9  
Flag South City
Thanks Meter: 338

1,044 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodiggah

Z4Root temp root was a success but SU is telling me to upgrade by going into recovery, How do I go about this? I can't get any permissions for Rom Manager, Titanium, BusyBox, Etc...

Nevermind, figured it out. I accidentally rebooted, therefore, I lost root...
10th January 2011, 03:09 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 6

37 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yokken

does anyone think the rageagainstthecage exploit will work on this? i assume people are working on it? cause if it does, that means unrevoked3 could possibly release a new version with shift support, right? since unrevoked is just an automated rageagainstthecage, right?

edit: i mean, for permanent root, S-OFF.

yes, the rage exploit is what works and is what z4root uses. However I couldn't get the actual binary to work from the CLI using adb.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread