[13.FEB.2011][DFT|CWM]AF403 DesireHD stock base 1.5 [/data ext4onSD][Krn:RAFPIGNA1.7]
Yet another approach to Desire HD ROM for Euro (LEO512) HD2.
The goal was maximum performance and enough user storage for applications.
So let me introduce to you unsquashfsed gauner1986 HD-FI with real ext4 /data partition on SD card.
Now it is as stock as never before! ) It is not squashfsed with the real ext4 /data partition on SD card.
based on original WWE 1.72.405.3
Still, I removed Google Maps and Adobe Reader, as better and newer versions are available at Market. For those living in countries were Google apps are not in market (like me) link to Google Maps is attached.
So what is the difference?
- Unlike "data.img" method, this is actual real ext4 partition on the SD card. I believe this is more efficient and elegant solution, but this is not scientifically proven yet
- Unlike APP2SD+ this method does not use internal storage for user data at all. It makes possible to better fit huge Desire HD ROM into 512 MB. It has downsides too, but later on that
- Because uncompressed, unstripped Desire HD ROM takes nearly all European HD2's NAND it is unusable with internal storage. Squashfsed and stripped versions are good, but I wanted to get as close as possible to unmodified ROM.
Because I'm novice
I took gauner1986's HD-FI 0.3 excellent ROM as a base. Basically, only modifications I made are:
- Put back HTC Calculator widget (really missed that one)
- Put SoundHound app back. It is usefull as for me, and free version has less restrictions than Shazam
- Modified initrd to make use of /data on SD possible
Switched to MDJ's kernel (Looks like gauner1986's kernel does not support ext4, or did something not right with it. Anyhow, it works with MDJ's kernel). Rafpigna kernel now.
European HD2 (LEO1024 users: you do not need this ROM)
PROPERLY PARTITIONED SD CARD
Version 1.5 release notes:
- First you need to partition your SD card. Process is not different to APP2SD+ method. First partition should be FAT32, second - ext4. Both primary partitions. Detailed guide you can find here. I'm using it with 1GB ext4 partition, and I recommend that size, but you can try any other and report bugs if any.
- If you have already partitioned your card, for use with another build, please reformat (clear) your ext4 partition.
- Enter MAGLDR (hold power button during boot) and select "Flasher" using "VolUp" and "VolDown" keys. Confirm with "green" button.
- Connect USB cable and run DAF.exe. Follow instructions.
Notices and warnings:
- You will have to upgrade MAGLDR to version 1.13.
- This version includes CWM but you will need to flash DFT installation first. Standard CWM installations are not compatible with this ROM. So providing DFT installer I'm basically saving your time, because if your moving from another ROM you would need to reflash CWM anyway.
- Do not apply any kernel update.zip files not from this thread. This ROM using non-standard partition table, so in bright scenario that zips would not work, and in worst case they will render your installation unbootable.
- All future updates to this ROM will come as DFT installation (for sure) and deferential update.zip files (highly possible).
- Main reason to include CWM was ability to reformat SD card partitions on device. So you do not have to format your card on your PC to do hardreset.
- No warranties. I'm not responsible for any damage that can be done to your device or data. Do backup. Always.
- I made this for myself, but I think there are people here interested in data partition on SD, so I share this with you. There be bugs, please report back.
- This build will not boot if SD card is not preset or if it is not partitioned in right way. This is only downside comparing to APP2SD+. But I intentionally did not provide any checks or options to use storage on NAND, because not much storage is available on NAND after flashing this ROM.
- First boot takes more time, as it creates directory structure on /data partition
- On slow cards (not SD-HC) there may be warning "System in not responding" during boot. Just tap wait. On my class 4 SanDisk everything is fine.
- /data partition on card is left intact when you flash versions of this ROM. So you will be able to upgrade to new versions saving your apps and settings.
On other hand, hardreset does not work. To wipe your data you will have to format ext4 partition using your PC. You can do hardreset using CWM's card formatting features.
- Like every other Desire HD ROM after first boot it is slightly laggy. Do all you settings, install some apps, make reboots. It will go away.
Every other note from gauner1986 except sqashfs related are relevant too
- Reported that ext4 partitions more than 2GB may cause stability issues. But for some users 3GB works fine. Personally I recommend 1024MB partition. It is stable and more than enough for all your apps. On real Desire HD you would had same amount of storage
Besides the concept and some hours of research and init editing, here is not much of my work, so credits go to:
- Cotulla and DFT for MAGLDR and making all this possible
- gauner1986 for Desire HD system I used in first builds to understand how all works
- RaiderX303 for ClockWork Recovery Mod.
- m-deejay for kernels in previous versions
- rafpigna for kernel
- rafpigna for ideas from his init script for data.img (he credits Kouno.Takaaki) and performance tweaks
- white-energy for help with rooting issue
- Every other single htc-linux and xda-developers.com developer who worked on Android for HD2, and whose names I did not lean yet. Thank you!
Switch to fully unmodified Desire HD system image Almost done
- Find and eliminate bugs
- Camera app force close if tap "Share" from preview screen. Looks like common issue among Desire HD roms. I'm looking for Camera.apk that will no FC. Meanwhile you can share photos you made from Gallery app. Or use this camera.
Try to set one of included (form HTC Wallpapers list) wallpapers causing "No more memory" message. Actually, I simply forgot to place these wallpapers in ROM image . Please set you own wallpapers from Gallery option until update.
- Wakeup lag (I do not have notable, is it for everyone, or not?)
- Switched to Rafpigna 1.7 Kernel. More stable performance and battery consumption. G-Sensor calibration fix.
- Clockwork Recovery integrated thanks to MAGLDR 1.13
- All ringtones are in place
- Implemented performance tweaks from rafpigna. It also should seriously decrease data corruption possibilities.
- Upgraded Kernel to MDJ 10.3
- Maybe I forgot something
- Fixed Camcorder in favor of sharing from preview screen of Camera app. Read more here.
- MMS size limit upped to 1024KB. You can still choose 300KB, if your carrier has smaller limits. New users - every thing will work automatically. Updating users - please Read more here.
- Fixed issue with standard wallpapers. They are there now )
- Fixed camera force close after sharing pressed on preview screen.
- Even more stock now )
As for screenshots
- Fixed rooting issue. Thanks to white-energy
It is stock Desire HD look and feel. There are plenty of pics on Internet. On my device I already changed wallpaper and widget layout, so it is late to take screens. Just google Desire HD
But, just for information what it is all about look at this:
Yet again, it is my first ROM, originally made for myself, but I feel that somebody want this too, so I'm sharing. Be advised, there may be bugs, so test and please report.