Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,719 Members 38,202 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP] StegDroid Alpha v 0.75

Tip us?

fredley
Old
(Last edited by fredley; 28th March 2011 at 03:33 PM.)
Retired Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default [APP] StegDroid Alpha v 0.75

Hi guys/gals

I'm working on this app for my final year dissertation. It performs Echo Steganography on wave files. My app uses this to encode short text messages in an audio file, then share it. I've just got the Steg side of things working, so I wanted to get some early feedback on whether it works for other people (and if it's awfully slow - it uses a lot of Fourier Transforms etc...).

This is very early days, so the app isn't anything like ready for primetime yet, but the basics are in place. I'd really appreciate it if you could download it and:

* Have a go at embedding some text in a recording and seeing if it correctly extracts it again.
* Run the tests available in the menu
* Email me one of your recordings (tfmw2 [at] cam [dot] ac [dot] uk) to see if I can extract the data on my phone.
* Supports encryption with a shared key
* Transcodes audio files to ogg format for sharing

Updates (0.75)

* Added Multicasting of messages to contact groups

* Fixed bug with sharing files in paranoid mode
* Better memory management, should work more reliably with longer messages
* Reduced error rate (less garbled messages)
* Reduced file size by 33%
* Other bug fixes

Any problems let me know!

Cheers
Attached Files
File Type: apk StegDroid0.75.apk - [Click for QR Code] (534.2 KB, 155 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fredley For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tridge
Old
Thanks Meter 10

DONATE TO ME
I'm not sure what this does =\

fredley
Old
Thanks Meter 5
The app records a file from the microphone and embeds a secret message into it. You can send that file to someone, and if they've got the same app they can extract the secret message from the audio file. Anyone listening to the audio file wouldn't be able to tell that it's got a message hidden in it, as the difference is hard to distinguish with the human ear.
The Following User Says Thank You to fredley For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

fredley
Old
Thanks Meter 5
I've uploaded a new version, it's a bit more stable and a bit easier to use!
The Following User Says Thank You to fredley For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
00Ghz Old
Thanks Meter
Interesting, maybe we can team up this will be an interesting feature for my project

Meltus
Old
Thanks Meter 998

DONATE TO ME
Works pretty well, cool idea too!
I was able to make it fail though by using a long jumble of letters (I screenshotted before and after to compare) but it still only got about 5 wrong (little diamond with a ? In the middle).
Nice work!

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA App
The Following User Says Thank You to Meltus For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

fredley
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Thanks Meltus

Could you let me know the length of the string. Were the wrong characters at the end or distributed throughout? What kind of audio input were you testing with (voice message, background noise, music etc.)?

fredley
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Update

Now supports basic crypto. Run tests from the menu before you start to check the crypto test passes (if it doesn't, let me know!).

Meltus
Old
Thanks Meter 998

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredley View Post
Thanks Meltus

Could you let me know the length of the string. Were the wrong characters at the end or distributed throughout? What kind of audio input were you testing with (voice message, background noise, music etc.)?
Length of the string was about 30 characters, the wrong characters were distributed and were just regular letters.
As for the audio it was just me tapping on the mic for about 20 secs.

I've been doing more tests too and it only seems to occur when you have a few repeating characters. I typed out the keyboard lines and it got it correct, until i started repeating every other character a few times, then it started to get a few wrong.

fredley
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meltus View Post
Length of the string was about 30 characters, the wrong characters were distributed and were just regular letters.
As for the audio it was just me tapping on the mic for about 20 secs.

I've been doing more tests too and it only seems to occur when you have a few repeating characters. I typed out the keyboard lines and it got it correct, until i started repeating every other character a few times, then it started to get a few wrong.
That's strange! The embedding works bit-by-bit, rather than byte-by-byte, so it's very strange that repeated chars should cause an issue. I'll look into it though. Did you try the same test with continuous sound, such as music? I'll see if I can replicate it here. What hardware/android version are you using?