Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,416 Members 39,297 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[KERNEL] [GPL] Quickie - Flashable Overclock Kernel - "Screamer"

Tip us?

Geniusdog254
Old
(Last edited by Geniusdog254; 20th January 2011 at 04:53 PM.)
Retired Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 166

DONATE TO ME
Default [KERNEL] [GPL] Quickie - Flashable Overclock Kernel - "Screamer"

Title says a helluva lot ;)

READ THIS WHOLE POST AND THE WHOLE POST AFTER IT!

Features:
  • All steps undervolted about 25%. Should be stable still
  • The table is currently 300, 600, 950mhz until I can make it scale more than 3 steps.
  • The voltage for 950Mhz is less than at stock for 800Mhz, so you should see better battery life even though we're overclocked.
  • Display flicker fixed (or at least toned down, it can't be completely eliminated with the LED backlighting)
  • Scheduler tweaks backported from later kernel versions
  • Some governor tweaks of my own for responsiveness

To install this, just flash the zip in ClockworkMod. This shouldn't harm your device, but I make no promises. I trust it enough to run it on my device, if that means anything to y'all. I also attached a zip to flash back to the stock kernel (..but why would you break my heart by doing so..? ;P).

Next Up:
  • I REALLY want to get 1Ghz+ working, and my code is sound (I'm sure of that) but it won't boot on my device. I think I just need to find the right voltage, or I could have a bad die for OC'ing. This is the first thing I will work on.
  • Maybe the interactive CPU governor
  • Look into the 2-point touch limitation

Source:
Source is available on my GitHub at https://github.com/geniusdog254/Quickie

I will not flat out ask for donations, however I do appreciate them. So if you're feeling generous or appreciate my work then it would help me out a lot if you could donate. I have my game Reflex-A-Tron on the Market for $1 if you'd like to donate like that, or there is a link under my name on the left side to donate, and one in my signature. The one on the left and in my signature is to donate via PayPal. Any amount is appreciated, but please don't feel obligated.

You can contact me here via PM, on Twitter @geniusdog254, or email me at geniusdog254@gmail.com. Email or Twitter is the preferred method, because I really despise the XDA PM system.

Disclaimer:
If this breaks your Nook, kills your family/pets, or starts global thermonuclear war, do not blame me. You have been warned. If you break your device and blame me, I will point at you and laugh.
Attached Files
File Type: zip stock-1.0.1-kernel.zip - [Click for QR Code] (2.09 MB, 2264 views)
File Type: zip quickie-1ghz-test.zip - [Click for QR Code] (2.19 MB, 1508 views)
File Type: zip quickie-screamer.zip - [Click for QR Code] (2.19 MB, 4451 views)
File Type: zip quickie-900mhz.zip - [Click for QR Code] (2.19 MB, 2244 views)
Follow me on Twitter @Geniusdog254

If you like my work, please buy one of my apps on the Market or donate!
  • Reflex-A-Tron - A colorful, addicting, & fun game to test yourself & challenge friends for only $.99!
  • Search2Play - Control your music with your device's buttons!
  • Task'd - A beautiful to-do list app!

Phones:
Android Dev Phone 1 - Dec. '08
Rogers HTC Dream - Sept. '09
AT&T Nexus One - March '10
Motorola Droid - Apr. '10
HTC Evo - Jun. '10
HTC Evo 3D - Jun. '11
Sprint Galaxy Nexus - May '12
The Following 33 Users Say Thank You to Geniusdog254 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Geniusdog254
Old
(Last edited by Geniusdog254; 20th January 2011 at 04:52 PM.)
Thanks Meter 166

DONATE TO ME
Changelog:

1-11-11 - Screamer:
  • Overclock to 950Mhz. Still chokes at 1Ghz, which tells me it's probably my device. 950 is stable.
  • Temp sensor drivers. Thanks to the Nookie FroYo guys!
  • Updated to 2.6.29.6.
  • Scheduling tweaks from 2.6.31.
  • Code idle time from 2.6.34.
  • Scaling fixed. Now scales properly between all 3 CPU levels. Adding more than 3 makes it choke for some reason. I'll look into it.
  • Test version set at 1Ghz added. Just because it doesn't work for me doesn't mean it won't work for you. Don't get your hopes up though, I've tried making it work every way from Sunday

Notes:
  • Screen WILL be unresponsive immediately after a boot. Just lock the device for several seconds, unlock it, and all will be fine until another reboot. I blame B&N, it happens with all custom kernels.
  • Yes, I know there are more versions of this kernel than there are Windows Vista. The middle one is the recommended one. If your Nook can't run at 950Mhz (crashing often, or just won't boot) try the one with the 900mhz tag. If you wanna try and push it higher, try the 1Ghz one. Be warned: very little success is reported with the 1Ghz kernel. The top level of these chips seems to be right around ~925-975Mhz. Very few devices will be able to hit 1Ghz.
  • You should probably wipe your cache partition after flashing this. You won't lose anything, and many people are reporting that it makes things more stable at the higher freqs for them.

MD5 Sums:
  • stock-1.0.1-kernel.zip 78ccf8ab0cd35b988cc9a81bd8bbc310
  • quickie-1ghz-test.zip 7076a88cae2229910478e698c0e19435
  • quickie-screamer.zip 22e8c2cc21e42cca1d18377a92b49540
  • quickie-900mhz.zip 40362515da86cb4baea37b0bc6358feb

• Reflex-A-Tron - A colorful, addicting, & fun game to test yourself & challenge friends for only $.99!

Phones:
HTC Evo - Jun. '10
HTC Evo 3D - Jun. '11
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Geniusdog254 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jerrygon
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Wow thanks so much for this. Gotta try it out!

ahfunaki
Old
Thanks Meter 9
wow very nice! going to have to give this a shot!

runhopskipjump
Old
Thanks Meter 45
Awesome! But is it compatible with nookie froyo (2.2) or the stock BN (2.1)?

Update: It boots Nookie Froyo but powers off immediately after booting. I am looking forward to the release of the 2.6.32 version of your work. Keep up the good work!

Sent from Nook Color (Nookie Froyo microSd optional)
Thunderbolt Rooted on Liquid Smooth Roms 3.2
References:
Instructions: How to flash boot.img via fastboot For Mac

Geniusdog254
Old
Thanks Meter 166

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by runhopskipjump View Post
Awesome! But is it compatible with nookie froyo (2.2) or the stock BN (2.1)?

Sent from Nook Color (Nookie Froyo on emmc)
Just stock 2.1.

With the Nookie FroYo, it wouldn't flash the kernel to the SD for boot, plus (at least on th Epic) a 2.6.29 kernel won't boot on FroYo, it needs 2.6.32 or higher

Phones:
HTC Evo - Jun. '10
HTC Evo 3D - Jun. '11
The Following User Says Thank You to Geniusdog254 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

fortuno01
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Glad to have you part of the nook color family. You did awesome work on the Epic4G.

Looking forward to more great stuff from you.

Thanks

Sent from my LogicPD Zoom2 using Tapatalk

deitiphobia
Old
(Last edited by deitiphobia; 11th January 2011 at 08:41 AM.)
Thanks Meter 20
Default Loss of touch sensitivity

I loaded up the new kernel via Clockwork and all went smoothly with the install. I noticed immediately that my touch sensitivity has decreased. I now have to press and hold just about as long as you would press and hold to bring up a context menu or something. If I don't do that, my touch is ignored and not registered.

Interestingly enough, when I type an email on the keyboard, it recognizes my typing very quickly. No apparent loss of sensitivity when I'm using the keyboard. I wonder why and how that is???

I guess I need to recalibrate the screen again to regain sensitivity.

I did notice that Castle Crashers frame-rate has improved a good bit with the overclock. It's a noticeable and welcome difference.

Angry birds was a bit annoying to play with the loss of screen sensitivity.

Edit: I alleviated the loss of touch sensitivity by installing the LCDDensity app from the Android Marketplace and selecting a density of 200.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deitiphobia For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nrune
Old
(Last edited by nrune; 12th January 2011 at 01:22 AM.) Reason: update
Thanks Meter 4
Tried to install via clockwork and I keep getting errors unable to install. an I missing something?

sent from my nookcolor using the xda app

Got it working with clockwork update... thanks!

Mbarland
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Flashed. Am loving it, seems much snappier, and the keyboard response at 900mhzz is much improved. Keep up the good work!