UrukDroid (Android) - developers ONLY thread

OP $aur0n

15th January 2011, 12:25 PM   |  #81  
Thanks Meter: 98

810 posts
It's the same symptomes i had with ext4.
Until there is a more stable ext4 i stay with ext3. Since that change this doesn't happen anymore.
15th January 2011, 12:39 PM   |  #82  
Thanks Meter: 0

38 posts
sorry this howto is written great but in the end i end up with "cross make" telling me that theres nothing to do... can you explan me how to compile a c-written module for the kernel?
15th January 2011, 12:45 PM   |  #83  
Thanks Meter: 40

486 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fzelle

It's the same symptomes i had with ext4.
Until there is a more stable ext4 i stay with ext3. Since that change this doesn't happen anymore.

That's what I'll do next, no need to use a fast file system which gets corrupted every two days.

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA App
15th January 2011, 02:18 PM   |  #84  
Thanks Meter: 0

21 posts
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by $aur0n

All this stuff has been described already. I've came to conclusion that it needs to be changed - to stop people whining so badly about not beeing able to mount stuff over USB (unless in stock OS).
Please reformat your HD
/dev/sda1 - vfat, all free space
/dev/sda2 - ext4, rootfs (512MB)
/dev/sda3 - ext4, /data (1GB)

Extract rootfs to second partition, update initramfs and zImage. Report please.
Data in your case it's not yet mounted - when we complete this step, i'll prepare proper init script to mount /data on A70H.

It seems to be ok !

Reformated, reextracted rootfs and updated initramfs/zImage from http://adrian.siemieniak.net/UrukDroid/trunk/

Whit this setup A70H boot to Urukdroid like a charm !

if you want some return do not hesitate to ask !
Last edited by xenicle; 15th January 2011 at 04:27 PM.
15th January 2011, 03:34 PM   |  #85  
Thanks Meter: 275

896 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheefy

sorry this howto is written great but in the end i end up with "cross make" telling me that theres nothing to do... can you explan me how to compile a c-written module for the kernel?

you don't need to do that, it's just an example for if you want to build some linux tools or libs.

just stay with "make kernel-config" and "make kernel-build" and be happy
15th January 2011, 05:36 PM   |  #86  
Thanks Meter: 1

29 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenicle

Reformated, reextracted rootfs and updated initramfs/zImage from http://adrian.siemieniak.net/UrukDroid/trunk/

This links gives a 'You don't have permission to access /UrukDroid/trunk/ on this server.' error on my side, is this a modified 0.4 release (to use root on sda2) ? or are these the same as in $auron's release ?
15th January 2011, 06:04 PM   |  #87  
Thanks Meter: 14

45 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chulri

Hey $aur0n

One question (maybe a feature request):
why don't we use a squasfs ROM (as its name says: read-only, like the stock archos android) and put it where the stock android squashfs resides and put a unionfs on top with a writable storage somewhere else like dogmaphobias solution, but instead of tmpfs we use some file on internal storage or even a custom partition on sdcard?

updating and installing (initramfs checks for a specific file, namely the squashfs file, on sd or internal storage and moves it to where the squashfs has to reside.
that would be much easier to install AND upgrade and changes by users won't get overwritten by a new rom version
even updating OTA would be possible: download the file to sdcard or internal storage and reboot

what do you think`?

I was just thinking to use another way to boot SDE from, not sdcard.

Excatly from the internal flash drive (/dev/block/mmcblk1), partioning that device with other 2 partition in ext4.
So we have the first partition (/dev/block/mmcblk1p1) in fat32 resized with approximatly 6GB (as i note on the init script this partition may be use by archos to put a recovery dump file if the things go bad).
The second partition (/dev/block/mmcblk1p2) in ext4 of 500MB, where we can put the rootfs
and the third (/dev/block/mmcblk1p3) in ext4 of 1GB for the data (applications).

So we got the sdcard free, and could format it fat32 to be mounted on Windows if we like ...

I got a class 2 microsd card with approximatly 3mb/s write speed and actually the internal flash is for me the better choise.

The negative side is that to upgrade rootfs we have to boot to stock Archos android to be able to write the new rootfs on the second partition of the internal flash memory.

What are your thoughts about it?

Edit: I just notice that i'm not the only one who had this idea.
Ghostifish allready done it on that way ...
Click here to see his post
Last edited by shklifo; 15th January 2011 at 07:05 PM.
15th January 2011, 06:56 PM   |  #88  
Flag Glasgow, UK
Thanks Meter: 6

40 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shklifo

I was just thinking to use another way to boot SDE from, not sdcard.

Excatly from the internal flash drive (/dev/block/mmcblk1), partioning that device with other 2 partition in ext4.
So we have the first partition (/dev/block/mmcblk1p1) in fat32 resized with approximatly 6GB (as i note on the init script this partition may be use by archos to put a recovery dump file if the things go bad).
The second partition (/dev/block/mmcblk1p2) in ext4 of 500MB, where we can put the rootfs
and the third (/dev/block/mmcblk1p3) in ext4 of 1GB for the data (applications).

So we got the sdcard free, and could format it fat32 to be mounted on Windows if we like ...

I got a class 2 microsd card with approximatly 3mb/s write speed and actually the internal flash is for me the better choise.

The negative side is that to upgrade rootfs we have to boot to stock Archos android to be able to write the new rootfs on the second partition of the internal flash memory.

What are your thoughts about it?

I boot Uruk from the internal storage just like you describe. PC usb storage doesn't work.

The problem is not with how Windows (or any OS for that matter) mounts the partitions but with how android unmounts entire devices for use as usb storage.
Coupled with the fact that if android can't unmount BOTH internal and sdcard storage, it doesn't hand either over and reports an error.

Short answer, if you use UrukDroid, you can't have pc usbstorage.
The only way, at the moment that I can see to get Uruk and PC storage to work is to install it to mmcblk0. But thats dangerous and it wouldn't fit anyway.
15th January 2011, 07:13 PM   |  #89  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 499

1,453 posts
Donate to Me
First of all DON'T do another spam thread - It's for developing UrukDroid only! Don't do some chitchats here!

EXT4 is NOT corrupted - it's just bad programming. The same you will have with old, but still one of the best XFS filesystem. All this corruptions are because people are to lame to read manuals and write some stuffs.
So there WILL NOT BE better ext4 implementation. I've made some changes in source (backports), and disabled "delayed allocation" - it makes some performance drop, but probably will make it more reliable for Android purpose (some other solutions for lame programmers, are made in later kernels 2.6.32+ - but this makes big difference and vfs source tree and can be hard to backport).

0.4 for A70H will mount not second partition of HD drive as /root. From 0.5 I'll probably change order in SDcard installation either.

When you have problem with launcher (Archos wizard starts like in first run) - it's /data problem, no rootfs - so update only /data (best from backup - but from stock fs will do)

HerrieMan: I've posted exact location to files on my server - go back and take a look at my post. And yes I'm aware some storage is now not mounted - it's just a start

chulri: yes I use Android NDK (android-ndk-r5), and could you please try DVB support so I will know what to change/add?
Last edited by $aur0n; 15th January 2011 at 07:31 PM.
15th January 2011, 07:29 PM   |  #90  
Thanks Meter: 14

45 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostifish

I boot Uruk from the internal storage just like you describe. PC usb storage doesn't work.

The problem is not with how Windows (or any OS for that matter) mounts the partitions but with how android unmounts entire devices for use as usb storage.
Coupled with the fact that if android can't unmount BOTH internal and sdcard storage, it doesn't hand either over and reports an error.

Short answer, if you use UrukDroid, you can't have pc usbstorage.
The only way, at the moment that I can see to get Uruk and PC storage to work is to install it to mmcblk0. But thats dangerous and it wouldn't fit anyway.

Yeah, i just see your previuos post and edit mine

You are right, we can't mount the internal device in windows, as android can't umount the second partition (rootfs).
But for me isn't a big deal as we can copy staff form the first partition of internal flash to sdcard and mount it on pc or linux machine.

By sdcard boot method you haven't access to sdcard by usb connection too.
You have to shutdown the archos to be able to umount cleanly the sdcard and mount it readonly on Windows or access r/w it by linux.

For me (i will get a 16GB card, class 4) is more interesting/important a free sdcard that the usb access of the internal flash.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android, archos, gen8, urukdroid
Previous Thread Next Thread