[RECOVERY] 3e Recovery Modded w/ No Verification

Search This thread

existz

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 9, 2008
Kentucky
NOTE
This is took from untermensch's thread in the Vibrant forum so I take no credit for this (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=833423)

I have noticed some of you are having issues after installing a new kernel or rom, when you boot into recovery you now have 3e, which does not allow unsigned zips to be flashed. With this version of 3e it has no-verification check, now allowing you to flash whatever you want.

This zip has
1) 3e recovery modified to disable signature checking
2) disables the forced wipe after installing any update.

Instructions
1)Download and extract the file below
2)Use a terminal emulator or ADB shell and type.. (or you can use Root Explorer or SGSTools to mount system RW)
Code:
mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/stl9 /system
3)Use a file manager like Root Explorer and copy the recovery file to /system/bin and replace the one there
4)Now, reboot and you should have a modded 3e recovery with no signature verification

You can either leave the modded 3e recovery or you can now flash CWM via Rom Manager

**Just like anything else, I am not responsible if this bricks your phone, this is fairly simple, follow the guide...Do at your own risk**

Attachments

• 3e_recovery_no_sig_check.zip
    198.1 KB · Views: 55,050
Last edited:

designgears

Feb 9, 2010
SLC
Old news, we have CWM now in pretty much everything.

Also you cannot just replace the recovery file... you have to replace the images in sbin or in the zImage its self, otherwise you get errors and cannot do anything.

existz

Nov 9, 2008
Kentucky

Also you cannot just replace the recovery file... you have to replace the images in sbin or in the zImage its self, otherwise you get errors and cannot do anything.

I done the exact method above and works fine for me...

Place extracted recovery file in /system/bin/ , reboot and flash cwm via rom manager, works perfectly fine...the reason I posted was, if you read Hardcores thread, and seen this in other threads, that after flashing his kernel, when they goto recovery they now have 3e (depending on which method when entering recovery)..alot of people have done it the way I posted with no issues...im not trying to argue with you, you by far know more then me, just posting what worked for me and some others

Last edited:
Reactions: CaptnJB

raymar23

Oct 7, 2009
Moncton, NB
sounds like a good idea for the people that updated to Rogers froyo that has the 3e recovery. You could just flash a new kernel, but this is definately a good alternative.

Thanks

Sent from my SGH-I897 using XDA App

Reactions: sbernst

kppanic

Oct 24, 2010
Thanks, this works flawlessly on a Rogers Froyo Stock. Now I have CWM working and good to go. The only thing left would be to apply some kind of lagfix.

ziadsa

Jun 28, 2007
I tested it on Galaxy S i9000m bell and it work A+
i do not have to flash cf-boot to make unsigned zip to be installed

thanks a lot for your hard work.

only thing is botton function become different then original 3e

but its working A+

bentonhall

Jan 7, 2011
Huntington, WV
I'm a little confused on how the Recovery works..... I have a I897 that I flashed Cognition 2.3b8 to with ROM Manager/CWM and when I chose "reboot into recovery" from ROM Manager from inside Cognition, it worked fine after reloading packages once. A few days ago, I flashed Perception 10.1 with the firebird kernel. After noticing the battery didn't last as long as it used to with Cognition, I did some research and found the SpeedMod kernel K12L. Before I flashed it, I did a backup from ROM Manager which rebooted into CWM with no problems and did the backup with no problem. I have since flashed K12M and K12N. Now I thought I would give Cog 3.0 a shot and wanted to back up my current config with Perception 10.1/SpeedMod K12N. From ROM Manager, I chose to backup, named my backup and the phone rebooted into 3e Recovery and gave the errors you listed above but I don't understand why? Is it because of the I9000 kernel which doesn't make sense since Firebird is a I9000 kernel. Was it from flashing SpeedMod? Also noticed, that only the volume up/down buttons worked, not the power button which is also the select key. Only way out was to 3 button reboot (or pull the battery) which rebooted into CWM and then initiated the ROM Manager backup.

Any ideas why? Also, if I was to ODIN flash JH6 back to the phone, would that restore the Stock 2e Recovery? Sorry for the long post, but I'm still trying to learn this stuff and think you guys are awesome. The captivate would be a crappy phone if it wasn't for you all.

bentonhall

Jan 7, 2011
Huntington, WV
I guess if I had read your second post a little closer I would have seen that flashing SpeedMod causes it. I used your fix in the OP and when I tell it to "Reboot into Recovery" from ROM Manager, it boots into what I assume is 3e (Goes by real quick) and shows something about MOVI and verification and then boots into CWM Recovery v2.5.1.2. If I 3 button boot into recovery, it boots into CWM v2.5.1.0 SpeedMod ULFK. Seems to work now but I'm still confused. Thanks again.

davidis57

Nov 11, 2010
albuera
Using sgstools to change mount RW completes its task fine. When I try to copy the new file to /system/bin it does not allow it. The permissions do not change. I tried terminal emulator it doesnt work either. The files stay -r only. I have tried so many times to delete/rename/ or copy over. I just gave up. My system is 2.2 and rooted before you ask.

existz

Nov 9, 2008
Kentucky
Using sgstools to change mount RW completes its task fine. When I try to copy the new file to /system/bin it does not allow it. The permissions do not change. I tried terminal emulator it doesnt work either. The files stay -r only. I have tried so many times to delete/rename/ or copy over. I just gave up. My system is 2.2 and rooted before you ask.

Use a terminal emulator or adb shell and type...

Code:
chmod 777 /system/bin/recovery

That should give r/w permission to the file, ...i just tested to verify it and it worked for me. also if you have Root Explorer you can just long press the file and select Permissions and check all the boxes.

hoekbrwr

Jan 8, 2011
Exact the same thing is happening to me! Beforehand I had flashed CF Root to get Superuser also at the same time when rooting. I Still can boot into recovery with 3BR and come into the speedmod ULFK settings. Speedmod introduces 3e and you need signed packages. You must have 2e for this I assume!? Can anyone tell me what goes wrong?

R

Red5

Im using the Speedmod kernel and it always pissed me off that everytime I wanted to flash somethng via CWM that I had to pull the battery and restart my phone for it to finish because of the 3e 'no signed packages'

I did the steps in the OP and I noticed that I didnt even have a recovery file in system/bin but I put it in there anyway. I rebooted and flashed a different modem just to check and sure enough, it worked. Now I dont have to worry about pulling my battery and having to reboot my phone everytime I want to flash something.

Thanks for this!

davidis57

Nov 11, 2010
albuera
Well the file is moved now. I get reinstall packages in recovery and thats all does. I installed rom manager and have cwm on my sdcard. The phone does not go into cwm recovery. It doesnot give me options to apply install.zip. I have dxjpa and z4root running. This modded recovery does not work. Any ideas?

existz

Nov 9, 2008
Kentucky
Well the file is moved now. I get reinstall packages in recovery and thats all does. I installed rom manager and have cwm on my sdcard. The phone does not go into cwm recovery. It doesnot give me options to apply install.zip. I have dxjpa and z4root running. This modded recovery does not work. Any ideas?

Once you install cwm and reboot back into 3e, select reinstall packages, it will install cwm and then load into it , if it doesn't then the file didn't copy over, make sure it replaces it ok, I've used this quite a few times and it works everytime, and everyone that has posted has not had an issue, so it does work

davidis57

Nov 11, 2010
albuera
It did copy over in fact i deleted the old one and put the new one in its place. It never installs anything and seems to error but its so fast i cant read it.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

existz

Nov 9, 2008
Kentucky
It did copy over in fact i deleted the old one and put the new one in its place. It never installs anything and seems to error but its so fast i cant read it.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

Try starting over, delete the recovery file and also delete the update.zip on the root of the sdcard, then copy the modded recovery over to /system/bin/ , then open rom manager and install cwm again, something could have happened with the update.zip, cause if you are able to get into 3e and select reinstall packages and it actually starts but errors out with the update.zip, then something could possibly be wrong with the update.zip .. it might restart after you select reinstall packages, but it should then load in to cwm, if it doesnt and boots back into android, then go into rom manager and select restart recovery and see if that works

Reactions: phrebh

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    NOTE
    This is took from untermensch's thread in the Vibrant forum so I take no credit for this (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=833423)

I have noticed some of you are having issues after installing a new kernel or rom, when you boot into recovery you now have 3e, which does not allow unsigned zips to be flashed. With this version of 3e it has no-verification check, now allowing you to flash whatever you want.

This zip has
    1) 3e recovery modified to disable signature checking
    2) disables the forced wipe after installing any update.

Instructions
    1)Download and extract the file below
    2)Use a terminal emulator or ADB shell and type.. (or you can use Root Explorer or SGSTools to mount system RW)
    Code:
    mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/stl9 /system
    3)Use a file manager like Root Explorer and copy the recovery file to /system/bin and replace the one there
    4)Now, reboot and you should have a modded 3e recovery with no signature verification

You can either leave the modded 3e recovery or you can now flash CWM via Rom Manager

**Just like anything else, I am not responsible if this bricks your phone, this is fairly simple, follow the guide...Do at your own risk**

I done the exact method above and works fine for me...

Place extracted recovery file in /system/bin/ , reboot and flash cwm via rom manager, works perfectly fine...the reason I posted was, if you read Hardcores thread, and seen this in other threads, that after flashing his kernel, when they goto recovery they now have 3e (depending on which method when entering recovery)..alot of people have done it the way I posted with no issues...im not trying to argue with you, you by far know more then me, just posting what worked for me and some others
    sounds like a good idea for the people that updated to Rogers froyo that has the 3e recovery. You could just flash a new kernel, but this is definately a good alternative.

Thanks

If you look at Darkyy's rom he has a script that does this.