5,595,196 Members 46,680 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[TUT] NAND Android on your HD2

Tip us?

Snarksneeze
Old
(Last edited by Snarksneeze; 1st February 2011 at 03:41 AM.) Reason: Updated to clarify two points mentioned in comments. Thanks to everyone for your input!
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 216

DONATE TO ME
Cool [TUT] NAND Android on your HD2

How To Install A NAND Android ROM On Your T-Mobile HD2

(I am linking to several Original Threads in this tutorial. The "Nice Thing To Do" is hit the "Thanks" button at the bottom of those threads to let the author know we appreciate their help)

mskip wrote an excellent tut over on the Leo forums. I used his instructions to create my own method, which has never given me issues.

My method has been used by others and has a 100% success rate as of this writing.

You MUST be HSPL'd. This is not a joke. If you attempt this method without HSPL, your phone won't boot. I can not help you if you do this. If you have the 3.14 radio, try flashing: this stock ROM before HSPL. Thanks to xmoo for the link! Original thread is here.

Read the following steps. If you're confused, read the explanations below.

(Preparing)
  1. Folder: Create a new folder on your Desktop. I named mine Flash. Put all downloads here.
  2. HSPL: Cotulla's HSPL 3 is located here. (Original thread is here)
  3. Task29: Download the Task29.exe program located here. Unzip it to a new folder. Replace the RUU_Signed.nbh file with your favorite radio. I use 2.15.50.14 (Original thread is here)
  4. MAGLDR: Get MAGLDR 1.11 (or the latest version!) located here. Unzip this to a new folder.
  5. ROM: Visit HD2 NAND Android Development thread here on XDA and download your new ROM. I am currently using this one, but will probably have a different one tomorrow Unzip this to a new folder.
  6. SD Card: Back up everything you want to keep from your SD card, and then format it. Hint: dcim is where your pictures are stored (File System: Fat32, Allocation unit size: 16 kilobytes) Personally, I like to uncheck the "Quick format"; it takes up to an hour but ensures my card is in the best shape possible. Once your format is complete, you may replace your backed up files.
(Flashing)
(*Optional: Remove your SD and SIM cards, if you are paranoid, like me )
  1. Connect your phone via USB to the PC and wait for any drivers to install.
  2. Task29: Navigate to the Task29 folder and right-click on task29.exe and "Run as administrator". Your phone will reboot to the initial flash screen. You will have to reset to Bootloader.
  3. Wait for your PC to update the drivers again.
  4. MAGLDR: Navigate to the MAGDLR folder and right-click on ROMUpdateUtility.exe and "Run as administrator". Your phone will reboot to a new boot screen.
  5. Wait for your PC to update the drivers again.
  6. You should be booted to the new MAGLDR screen and see a series of options. Use your volume rocker to highlight "USB Flash" and press the green call button to select it.
  7. Wait for your PC to update the drivers again.
  8. ROM: Navigate to your new ROM folder and right-click DAF.exe and "Run as administrator".

Congratulations! When your phone reboots, it should start MAGLDR which will immediately boot your new Android NAND ROM!

Now, here are the details about the above instructions. You should only need them if you are confused.

(Preparing)
  1. I use this to keep myself organized. I own several HTC phones and flash them all, so keeping things separate is a must for me.
  2. Having a Hard Secondary Program Loader is a must for any NAND flash, whether it be Windows Mobile or Android. This will void your T-Mobile warranty, but can be fixed by flashing a Stock T-Mobile ROM via your microSD card. Check my sig for the tutorial link on how to do that.
  3. This is the easiest method to do a task 29. The other is using mtty, which is beyond the scope of this tutorial. Task29 completely erases the existing files and partitions, preventing any loose data bits from causing issues with a new flash. You should always Task29 between NAND ROMs.
    MAGLDR: A group of devs have been working on a NAND loader for some time and Cotulla and the Dark Forces Team (DAF) were the first to release a working loader. There may be more to come in the future, but this is the first (and has Tetris built in :P)
  4. You should never ask the "best ROM for my phone" question. Every chef works hard on their build and considers it the best. Every user has their favorite chef and considers them the best. You should shop around to find the one that fits you best.
  5. I consider formatting the SD card a must if I have any data written to it by a ROM. If you have installed Android to your card, you definitely want to do this!

(Flashing)
  1. Your phone will boot into several different modes throughout the process. Each mode may require separate drives for WMDC to talk to it.
  2. To reset to your bootloader, pull the battery and replace it. Hold down the "Volume Down" rocker and press the power (End Call) button. The phone should boot up to the tri-color screen. If it did not, keep trying!
  3. Your PC may not need to search for drivers at this point, but wait and see anyway, just in case
  4. MAGDLR will work as your new bootloader, but you can always access the original tri-color bootloader if you need to.
  5. Don't worry if you get the missing "ADB" driver warning here. Only PCs with the Android SDK properly installed will have this driver.
  6. You must flash your new ROM from the #4 screen via USB. It is the only way and the tri-color Bootloader method won't work here.
  7. Again, you can ignore the missing "ADB" driver if it occurs. See above x2 for explanation.
  8. Some chefs are renaming "DAF.exe" to "Install.exe" or "ANDR_INSTALL.exe". No matter what it's named, it should be the blue icon. See your ROM thread for detailed installation instructions if you get confused here.

Hope this helps!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snarksneeze For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

DaraM
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Default 262 Update Error

I have tried many different options, but none seem to go past the error. It showed white htc, on black background, and 0% update complete; and freeze about 7-10 minutes, then a popup with an update error message display.

[262] Update Error

I am running Energy ROM, with HSPL 2.8

The rest of my software info:

ROM version
27.Dec.2010WWE

ROM Date
08/30/10

Radio Version
2.07.50.27_2

Hardware info:

RAM size
576MB

Flash memory size
1024MB

If you have any suggestion for me, I am greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advanced.

Snarksneeze
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 216

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaraM View Post
I have tried many different options, but none seem to go past the error. It showed white htc, on black background, and 0% update complete; and freeze about 7-10 minutes, then a popup with an update error message display.

[262] Update Error
Thanks for the plethora of information. In this case, it wasn't needed but most of the time it is

Error 262 means there is a link error between your phone and the PC. Some have solved this by re-installing ActiveSync or Windows Mobile Device Center. Some people said it was solved by simply unplugging the phone and trying a different USB port or cable.

parthakolkata1
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Unhappy After installing android rom in nand, device continously reboots

I followed all your steps and installed everything (there war an error encountered while installing the rom in the last step) but when my phone boots into android, after about a minute it will just restart itself and continue the same over and over without ever fully going into android.
can you please tell me how to get over this?

Snarksneeze
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 216

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by parthakolkata1 View Post
I followed all your steps and installed everything (there war an error encountered while installing the rom in the last step) but when my phone boots into android, after about a minute it will just restart itself and continue the same over and over without ever fully going into android.
can you please tell me how to get over this?
It looks like the Android build you chose is either incompatible or was somehow corrupted when you downloaded it.

I suggest you delete the copy you have on your PC and download a different ROM, and then start over again.

Since there was an error, you don't want to try a fresh install without a task 29 and reinstalling hspl.

If you are using the Euro version of the HD2, don't try to install a TMOUS ROM, and vice versa. If you aren't sure, ask the chef who posted the ROM you want.

Hope this helps!

fred_up
Old
Thanks Meter 129
Radio Version
2.07.50.27_2

I think that the RADIO has to be 2.08.50.xx or a .50 greater.

paulagrace
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Hello, I have some problems with my mob.phone HTC HD2: after get all the steps done my mobile stop working, then I tried install windows and tried turn on first time and my phone shows white screan with name HTC and don`t work at all,then i tried reset and Hard reset all setings and turn on again and than screan appears again with name HTC.
When i conect my phone to pc by usb, so my pc can`t find that phone.
Can you help me with this problem.
Thank you.

Snarksneeze
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 216

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulagrace View Post
Hello, I have some problems with my mob.phone HTC HD2: after get all the steps done my mobile stop working, then I tried install windows and tried turn on first time and my phone shows white screan with name HTC and don`t work at all,then i tried reset and Hard reset all setings and turn on again and than screan appears again with name HTC.
When i conect my phone to pc by usb, so my pc can`t find that phone.
Can you help me with this problem.
Thank you.
One thing that was specified but not in the steps was HSPL. If you don't have that, you can't flash.

gokun
Old
(Last edited by gokun; 29th January 2011 at 07:44 AM.)
Thanks Meter 14
After having a bit of problem using the original tut you reference in your first post(basically it got locked on gogogo and a variety of problems thereafter), I am very happy to report that your variation on the method not only worked for me, but worked on the first attempt. And it has thus far done so each time I have tried it since. You cannot imagine my relief after all the frustration I had previously. So just wanted to let you know how helpful I found your post. Thanks!
The only edit I would suggest is that I believe USB Flashing is option 5 now instead of 4.
FWIW I was originally on ROM 2.13.531.1 (90963) WWE with Radio 2.10.50.26(now on 2.14.50.04).
The Following User Says Thank You to gokun For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Snarksneeze
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 216

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by gokun View Post
The only edit I would suggest is that I believe USB Flashing is option 5 now instead of 4.
I just tried a fresh download of MAGLDR 1.11 and the option is still #4. Did you perchance grab version 1.12?

It would still work, but 1.12 gives you the additional option of installing and Windows 7 Phone ROM.

Tags
flashing, magldr, nand, t-mobile hd2, tutorial