Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,580 Members 40,620 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] victory_8G_100528.pit vs. s1_odin_20100512.pit

Tip us?

dewey1973
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 25
Question [Q] victory_8G_100528.pit vs. s1_odin_20100512.pit

What is the difference between victory_8G_100528.pit (which is in the Odin Stock Flashing section of the WIKI) and s1_odin_20100512.pit (which I've seen other posts recommend for flashing back to stock)? Are they interchangeable or should one be used over the other?

leatherneck6017
Old
Thanks Meter 159
In reality you don't need to use a .pit file to flash back to stock, assuming you are flashing a tarball that includes the modem. The only times you need to use a .pit are a) re-partitioning, b) flashing a modem alone, or c) flashing a kernel.

But to answer your question, _100528.pit was supposed to be the newest leaked .pit from Samsung. You can use either, whichever works.
Sprint Galaxy S4
Current ROM: SlimKat
Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4
Current ROM: Stock
Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
Current ROM: SlimKat

DiGi760
Old
Thanks Meter 84
^what he said.

Victory is the newest. It shifted the partitioning slightly, but I don't remember what got bigger and what got smaller. There's a thread about it here somewhere, but it'll take some searching.

Sturmie
Old
(Last edited by Sturmie; 16th July 2011 at 02:15 AM.)
Thanks Meter 6
Uh, I think I screwed up. I used Odin to flash the EF02 modem, but I manually set the PIT to victory_8G_100528.pit and now the phone won't even turn on...what can I do now?

EDIT: Of course, after I post that, it DID turn back on...phew.

duce102
Old
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 509

DONATE TO ME
1.) Kudos to you for searching this and not starting a new thread

2.) The pit they are talking about are ooollllllddddd

3.) I would ask this question in the thread you got the modem or pit file from

Good luck sorry I wasn't of that much help
Nexus - Latest Official PA
Galaxy Nexus - Latest Official PA
HPTouchpad - Latest Schizoid 2.10 AIO

htc_joe
Old
(Last edited by htc_joe; 16th July 2011 at 10:53 PM.)
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by leatherneck6017 View Post
In reality you don't need to use a .pit file to flash back to stock, assuming you are flashing a tarball that includes the modem. The only times you need to use a .pit are a) re-partitioning, b) flashing a modem alone, or c) flashing a kernel.

But to answer your question, _100528.pit was supposed to be the newest leaked .pit from Samsung. You can use either, whichever works.
i thought if flashing a modem you do not need the pit file.
i thought the pit was only for if you are repartitioning the file system.

this video from acs team does not say to use pit for the modem update only.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5V6rASKU23Q
Original Android <3ers! Old
Thanks Meter
What Partitions? Are we talking /Data and /System?

htc_joe
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 3
[QUOTE=Original Android

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA Premium App

What ever partions the thing redoes when checking repartion.
I always check all three when doing a new rom.

heXkil
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Default pit.usefullness

I have found repeatedly the case, from dealing with many software locked Epics, that when I get continued failures [whether they are failures at modem.bin or recovery.bin] (which I come across most with people who are not even sure of what chaotic kinds of up/down-grading they have done) the only thing that puts "the life back in the zombie" is:

:Flash pit only. Check> Re-partition ONLY.
The flash will be fast and you will get a
RESET/PASS.
Remove battery. Replace and boot to DL Mode.
Reset Odin and flash tar of choice. You should
get a pass/reset flashing a complete tar.

:::::::: I take no credit it for this, I have had a hard time tracking down where I heard of flashing the pit here on XDA. I just felt that it was high time I posted and I have not seen this CRITICAL "Escape Hatch" life saving technique mentioned anywhere. I wish I could give proper credit where it is so obviously due. This software unbrick method has been the one thing to save at least a dozen or more Epics that were right on the brink. Some of them that had just slowly lost power and died with a full battery during a modem flash, then only powered to a black glowing screen. Plugged in, Odin said Bing-Bongk, and I did the pit only>>>>>RESET. Then flash tar (NOT checking repartition) and Voila.

I am will be posting a link all the goodies needed just as soon as the uploads complete. Hopefully I can return the favor by getting some of the other fine folks here out of a jam.

Thanks to everyone here at XDA that makes the world of Development a more accessible and free-source experience.

And everyone here at .:android monsters:. would also like to give a HUGE round of thanks to IAP {the Independent Android Project} for their overwhelming contribution to Epic Development with the v15/Honeycomb Dreams release of the "Paranoid Android" ROM, and the recent release of the IAP App available for download on their homepage. The Fastest-Slickest/Sickest-Most Overall Stable ROM available for the Epic.
TRY IT, YOU WILL BE GLAD

Anyone with any questions or requests, feel free to pm me.

Tanx........

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to heXkil For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
pit files