Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,606 Members 48,802 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

The Samsung Secret - Why U.S. Galaxy S Phones run Android 2.1 Still

Tip us?

The.Samsung.Secret
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 228
Default The Samsung Secret - Why U.S. Galaxy S Phones run Android 2.1 Still

Hello,

Iím going to step across the NDAs and explain the issues behind the Android Froyo update to Samsung Galaxy S phones in the United States. I think most of you have come to this realization yourself now: the withholding of the Froyo update is a largely political one, not a technological one: Froyo runs quite well on Galaxy S phones, as those of you that have run leaked updates may have noticed.

To explain the political situation, first, a primer on how phone firmware upgrades work for carriers. When a carrier decides to sell a phone, a contract is usually written between the phone manufacturer and the carrier. In this contract, the cost of updates (to the carrier) is usually outlined. Updates are usually broken into several types: critical updates, maintenance updates, and feature updates. Critical updates are those that resolve a critical bug in the phone, such as the phone overheating. Maintenance updates involve routine updates to resolve bugs and other issues reported by the carrier. Finally, feature updates add some new feature in software that wasnít present before. Critical updates are usually free, maintenance updates have some maintenance fee associated with them, and feature updates are usually costly.
In the past, most phone updates would mainly consist of critical and maintenance updates. Carriers almost never want to incur the cost of a feature update because it is of little benefit to them, adds little to the device, and involves a lot of testing on the carrier end. Android has changed the playing field, however Ė since the Android Open Source Project is constantly being updated, and that information being made widely available to the public, there is pressure for the phone to be constantly updated with the latest version of Android. With most manufacturers, such as HTC, Motorola, etc. This is fine and considered a maintenance upgrade. Samsung, however, considers it a feature update, and requires carriers to pay a per device update fee for each incremental Android update.

Now, hereís where the politics come in: most U.S. carriers arenít very happy with Samsungís decision to charge for Android updates as feature updates, especially since they are essentially charging for the Android Open Source Projectís efforts, and the effort on Samsungís end is rather minimal. As a result of perhaps, corporate collusion, all U.S. carriers have decided to refuse to pay for the Android 2.2 update, in hopes that the devaluation of the Galaxy S line will cause Samsung to drop their fees and give the update to the carriers. The situation has panned out differently in other parts of the world, but this is the situation in the United States.

Some of you might have noticed Verionís Fascinate updated, but without 2.2 : This is a result of a maintenance agreement Samsung must honor combined with Verizonís unwillingness to pay the update fees.
In short, Android 2.2 is on hold for Galaxy S phones until the U.S. carriers and Samsung reach a consensus.

Some might wonder why I didnít deliver this over a more legitimate news channel Ė the short answer: I donít want to lose my job. I do, however, appreciate transparency, which is why I'm here.
The Following 228 Users Say Thank You to The.Samsung.Secret For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

skribbler86
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Interesting.. thank you for that

Sent from my GT540 using XDA App
Device: HTC HD2
O.S: Win Phone 7
ROM: XBmod 7.0.7004.0

Device: Samsung Galaxy S
O.S: Android
ROM: Stock Gingerbread

Device: LG Optimus GT540
O.S: Android
ROM: 2.3.2 SwiftDroid, CyanogenMod 7
Kernel: 2.6.29
Recovery: ClockWork Mod 3.0.0.5

aar0nix
Old
Thanks Meter 0
this has been an issue since the Samsung Omnia (SGH-i900) came out. Promises of updates to no avail. No updates, just do it yourself!

dkucera
Old
Thanks Meter 38
Finally something that makes sense to me. I do have 2.2 on my phone thanks to the folks here on XDA.
The Following User Says Thank You to dkucera For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tangstang
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I work for Sprint at a service and repair store. We had a memo that the Epic was suppose to get Froyo on Dec 26th, but that they pulled it because it bricked half their test phones and needed more work. I do know that the Intercept had an official update go out for Froyo that bricked roughly 10% of customer's phones and we were instructed to put them back on 2.1, I do know someone who has a legitimate carrier copy of Froyo on their Intercept, its not a Galaxy phone but its still Samsung. What you're saying Samsung is doing(which sounds right/true) is pretty petty. HTC released an update to Froyo for the Evo about 2 weeks after the phone launched. That's what manufacturers should do IMO.

blada4life
Old
Thanks Meter 1
In regards to the Epic, i'd like to remind people that originally, it was marketed as having 2.2. Then, closer to release, they changed it to 2.1 "with 2.2 coming soon after." Well, "soon after" has come and gone.

I bought the Epic partly because it suited me better than the Evo, but also because of 2.2. I knew that i would have a current version running. Froyo was part of the basis of my bargain. At this point I'm fed up with samsung. We've been getting teased with 2.2 almost every month for literally 5 months now, and at least for 1-2 months prior to the phone being released (which makes it upwards of 6 months). It is ridiculous.

People who have this phone should just return it when something new comes out. Samsung has breached their promise. Im sure there will be people here who will comment about the fact that you can always root your phone or that they are happy with eclair; that's fine. I bought this phone with the assumption it would perform on par with 2.2, and not have any annoying lags and bugs.

If everyone complains and ditches boycotts samsung phones, then maybe they will change their ways. From everything i have ever read, i never see anyone mention the fact that samsung marketed this device as having 2.2 and subsequently, promising it within a short period of time.

Just my .2 cents
The Following User Says Thank You to blada4life For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mikeschevelle
Old
Thanks Meter 125
This is one major reason that I am contemplating trading my Epic out for an Evo, I am tired of Sammy's bull****.

I am realizing that even though it is a good phone, it will soon be "out of date" with the lack of support from every one.
Nokia Lumia 920

Past Devices
Samsung T999 - CMod 4.2
iPhone 4s (rocked the dark side for 2 weeks)
Samsung i-711 - Unlocked on TMO, Blaze modem
HTC Pyramid - MIUIv4
HTC Ruby - Speed ROM
LG G2X ICS Hellfire
Sensation sporting a MIUI/WinMo 7 blend
HTC Evo - CM7
Samsung Epic 4g Slide - CM7
HTC Vogue rocking NFS

tjsooley
Old
Thanks Meter 289

DONATE TO ME
All this is bull****. Us cell carriers suck.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk
I am in no way responsible if YOU brick YOUR device flashing anything I post.
If I helped hit the thanks button.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tjsooley For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

foxsdaddy67
Old
Thanks Meter 91

DONATE TO ME
Thumbs down samsung

personally after owning a moment i will never own a samsung phone again. thank got i got an evo shift

lqaddict
Old
Thanks Meter 68
Interesting. Kinda contradicts with Samsung's marketing agenda during launch of the Galaxy S line in the States. During the launch event in NYC it was clearly stated by Samsung that all variants of Galaxy S line will receive Froyo firmware update, no where it was mentioned that if you are on a US carrier the device upgrade will be subject to terms and conditions set between the manufacturer and the carriers http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf3uGTAeQy4
FF to 4:45
The Linux philosophy is 'Laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong One. 'Do it yourself'. Yes, that's it.
-- Linus Torvalds

The Following User Says Thank You to lqaddict For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]