Set Up Your MediaTek Device with Comprehensive Beginner’s Guide

As can be seen with the use of MediaTek chips in Android One devices … more

Sony Updates AOSP Sources to Android 5.0.1

Just a few days ago, Sony did an utterly fantastic job by pushing out numerous device trees for … more

Stop Your Screen From Turning Off with KeepItOn

We all know the feeling of reading a news article orrather longdocument, when our screen … more

The XDA LG QPair Developer Challenge Voting Has Begun!

It seems like it was just yesterday that weannounced that we had paired up with LGto … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Mass storage problems

OP iomartin

15th January 2011, 07:19 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 3

23 posts
More
Hello,

I'm having problems connecting my phone to the computer with a USB.

The first problem is making the phone aware that it is connected to the computer. If I have the phone already on and connect it, it will start charging, but the notification bar won't tell me it's connected. To solve this, I found out that I have to turn the phone on while it's ALREADY connected. I think this could indicate some kind of problem. Doing this I'm able to tell the phone to mount the SD card.

But my second problem is that I can't get it to mount in my computer if I choose Mass Storage. I tried on 2 computers (Ubuntu 10.10 and Windows Seven), and it didn't work in neither of them. I tried turning USB debugging on, and it made no difference.

When I unplug the phone, it will still think it's connected, the only way to fix it is by restarting the phone.

If I insert the microSD directly in the computer (with an adapter) it works fine.

Has anyone had success mounting it on Linux? Finding a Windows solution wouldn't solve my problem, as I only use Linux.

Thank you!
The Following User Says Thank You to iomartin For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th January 2011, 05:14 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 229

1,656 posts
More
When you click on Mass Storage, pull down the notification bar and click in Select/Click here to copy files to/from your computer and it will mount your SD Card and you will be able to copy files to and from SD Card
17th January 2011, 09:47 PM   |  #3  
Flag Ljubljana
Thanks Meter: 107

455 posts
More
Do u have samsung drivers?

Sent from my GT-I5800 using XDA App
18th January 2011, 05:02 PM   |  #4  
Flag São Paulo
Thanks Meter: 0

51 posts
More
I'm having your first problem too. I Think this happend after I've rooted my phone, then I tryed to unroot, but doesn't worked. Any idea of how I can fix it? If the way to solve that is flashing I'll flash a Froyo rom, I haven't did it yet cause I'm waiting for the official Froyo from Samsung, but they're taking too much time to release it!

Thanks for any idea/solution.
19th January 2011, 05:24 AM   |  #5  
Flag São Paulo

51 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by iomartin

Hello,

I'm having problems connecting my phone to the computer with a USB.

The first problem is making the phone aware that it is connected to the computer. If I have the phone already on and connect it, it will start charging, but the notification bar won't tell me it's connected. To solve this, I found out that I have to turn the phone on while it's ALREADY connected. I think this could indicate some kind of problem. Doing this I'm able to tell the phone to mount the SD card.

But my second problem is that I can't get it to mount in my computer if I choose Mass Storage. I tried on 2 computers (Ubuntu 10.10 and Windows Seven), and it didn't work in neither of them. I tried turning USB debugging on, and it made no difference.

When I unplug the phone, it will still think it's connected, the only way to fix it is by restarting the phone.

If I insert the microSD directly in the computer (with an adapter) it works fine.

Has anyone had success mounting it on Linux? Finding a Windows solution wouldn't solve my problem, as I only use Linux.

Thank you!

Well, I fixed this problem on my Galaxy 3 with a Factory Recovery. But first I've made a backup to the SD Card, with MyBackup Root (need root), after that I turned the phone off, and turned on pressing VolUp + VolDown + Home + Power, to enter the Recovery mode, and then wiped the data (restored the factory config). Now the phone shows the connection menu when I plug it to the usb.
20th January 2011, 12:45 AM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 3

23 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaskiratsingh

When you click on Mass Storage, pull down the notification bar and click in Select/Click here to copy files to/from your computer and it will mount your SD Card and you will be able to copy files to and from SD Card

I did that, but nothing happens on the computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboblaz

Do u have samsung drivers?

Sent from my GT-I5800 using XDA App

I can't find Linux drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by welty

Well, I fixed this problem on my Galaxy 3 with a Factory Recovery. But first I've made a backup to the SD Card, with MyBackup Root (need root), after that I turned the phone off, and turned on pressing VolUp + VolDown + Home + Power, to enter the Recovery mode, and then wiped the data (restored the factory config). Now the phone shows the connection menu when I plug it to the usb.

I guess doing a factory recovery would remove root, right? Did you root again and Mass Storage kept working?

Quote:
Originally Posted by welty

I'm having your first problem too. I Think this happend after I've rooted my phone, then I tryed to unroot, but doesn't worked. Any idea of how I can fix it? If the way to solve that is flashing I'll flash a Froyo rom, I haven't did it yet cause I'm waiting for the official Froyo from Samsung, but they're taking too much time to release it!

Thanks for any idea/solution.

Welty, if you decide going for flashing a new rom, let us know if it works. I'm leaving for vacations tomorrow, so I won't be able to try anything in the next 2 weeks, but if you make any progress, let us know
20th January 2011, 04:42 AM   |  #7  
Flag São Paulo

51 posts
More
@iomartin

I was thinking that I was going to lose the root, but when the phone rebooted with the factory settings the root was there, I just needed to install the app to restore the backup.
About the flashing, I did it today, with the JPF (Froyo), and it's working fine, I'll test the battery duration to post my impressions about it. Froyo has a better keyboard and I'm not using Swype

Sent from my GT-I5800, Froyo (JPF), using XDA App

*EDIT* Well, the battery is good. With my use (Wi-Fi for entire day, used to see TweetDeck and some web with Opera Mobile, few phone calls and some sms), it's good, just like Eclair, or a little worst, but nothing that compromises my phone usage. Let's see if the Samsung official Froyo for SG3 will be better. Hope this helped you in your decision about this upgrade. You're from Brazil too, and I thing Samsung will release Froyo soon, like GS5 already have it and SGS had the Beta Froyo released too.
Last edited by welty; 20th January 2011 at 11:24 PM. Reason: See EDIT =]
20th January 2011, 08:39 AM   |  #8  
Flag Sunnyvale, CA
Thanks Meter: 2

22 posts
Can you try the options described in the below thread?
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=863250

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread