Mass storage problems

Tip us?

iomartin
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default Mass storage problems

Hello,

I'm having problems connecting my phone to the computer with a USB.

The first problem is making the phone aware that it is connected to the computer. If I have the phone already on and connect it, it will start charging, but the notification bar won't tell me it's connected. To solve this, I found out that I have to turn the phone on while it's ALREADY connected. I think this could indicate some kind of problem. Doing this I'm able to tell the phone to mount the SD card.

But my second problem is that I can't get it to mount in my computer if I choose Mass Storage. I tried on 2 computers (Ubuntu 10.10 and Windows Seven), and it didn't work in neither of them. I tried turning USB debugging on, and it made no difference.

When I unplug the phone, it will still think it's connected, the only way to fix it is by restarting the phone.

If I insert the microSD directly in the computer (with an adapter) it works fine.

Has anyone had success mounting it on Linux? Finding a Windows solution wouldn't solve my problem, as I only use Linux.

Thank you!
The Following User Says Thank You to iomartin For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jaskiratsingh
Old
Thanks Meter 228
When you click on Mass Storage, pull down the notification bar and click in Select/Click here to copy files to/from your computer and it will mount your SD Card and you will be able to copy files to and from SD Card

turboblaz
Old
Thanks Meter 77
Do u have samsung drivers?

Sent from my GT-I5800 using XDA App

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DEVICES:
Samsung Galaxy SII:
Rom | S2 i9100] MIUI v5 3.4.5 DE-EN [AOSP PORT] by Moviestar70
Samsung Galaxy 3:
stock 2.2 with G3MOD 2.5 OC
Samsung Nexus S:
CyanFox
HTC One X:
ViperX 4.0.4
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

welty
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I'm having your first problem too. I Think this happend after I've rooted my phone, then I tryed to unroot, but doesn't worked. Any idea of how I can fix it? If the way to solve that is flashing I'll flash a Froyo rom, I haven't did it yet cause I'm waiting for the official Froyo from Samsung, but they're taking too much time to release it!

Thanks for any idea/solution.

welty
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by iomartin View Post
Hello,

I'm having problems connecting my phone to the computer with a USB.

The first problem is making the phone aware that it is connected to the computer. If I have the phone already on and connect it, it will start charging, but the notification bar won't tell me it's connected. To solve this, I found out that I have to turn the phone on while it's ALREADY connected. I think this could indicate some kind of problem. Doing this I'm able to tell the phone to mount the SD card.

But my second problem is that I can't get it to mount in my computer if I choose Mass Storage. I tried on 2 computers (Ubuntu 10.10 and Windows Seven), and it didn't work in neither of them. I tried turning USB debugging on, and it made no difference.

When I unplug the phone, it will still think it's connected, the only way to fix it is by restarting the phone.

If I insert the microSD directly in the computer (with an adapter) it works fine.

Has anyone had success mounting it on Linux? Finding a Windows solution wouldn't solve my problem, as I only use Linux.

Thank you!

Well, I fixed this problem on my Galaxy 3 with a Factory Recovery. But first I've made a backup to the SD Card, with MyBackup Root (need root), after that I turned the phone off, and turned on pressing VolUp + VolDown + Home + Power, to enter the Recovery mode, and then wiped the data (restored the factory config). Now the phone shows the connection menu when I plug it to the usb.

iomartin
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaskiratsingh View Post
When you click on Mass Storage, pull down the notification bar and click in Select/Click here to copy files to/from your computer and it will mount your SD Card and you will be able to copy files to and from SD Card
I did that, but nothing happens on the computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboblaz View Post
Do u have samsung drivers?

Sent from my GT-I5800 using XDA App
I can't find Linux drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by welty View Post
Well, I fixed this problem on my Galaxy 3 with a Factory Recovery. But first I've made a backup to the SD Card, with MyBackup Root (need root), after that I turned the phone off, and turned on pressing VolUp + VolDown + Home + Power, to enter the Recovery mode, and then wiped the data (restored the factory config). Now the phone shows the connection menu when I plug it to the usb.
I guess doing a factory recovery would remove root, right? Did you root again and Mass Storage kept working?

Quote:
Originally Posted by welty View Post
I'm having your first problem too. I Think this happend after I've rooted my phone, then I tryed to unroot, but doesn't worked. Any idea of how I can fix it? If the way to solve that is flashing I'll flash a Froyo rom, I haven't did it yet cause I'm waiting for the official Froyo from Samsung, but they're taking too much time to release it!

Thanks for any idea/solution.
Welty, if you decide going for flashing a new rom, let us know if it works. I'm leaving for vacations tomorrow, so I won't be able to try anything in the next 2 weeks, but if you make any progress, let us know

welty
Old
(Last edited by welty; 20th January 2011 at 10:24 PM.) Reason: See EDIT =]
Thanks Meter 0
@iomartin

I was thinking that I was going to lose the root, but when the phone rebooted with the factory settings the root was there, I just needed to install the app to restore the backup.
About the flashing, I did it today, with the JPF (Froyo), and it's working fine, I'll test the battery duration to post my impressions about it. Froyo has a better keyboard and I'm not using Swype

Sent from my GT-I5800, Froyo (JPF), using XDA App

*EDIT* Well, the battery is good. With my use (Wi-Fi for entire day, used to see TweetDeck and some web with Opera Mobile, few phone calls and some sms), it's good, just like Eclair, or a little worst, but nothing that compromises my phone usage. Let's see if the Samsung official Froyo for SG3 will be better. Hope this helped you in your decision about this upgrade. You're from Brazil too, and I thing Samsung will release Froyo soon, like GS5 already have it and SGS had the Beta Froyo released too.

mohankm
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Can you try the options described in the below thread?
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=863250