XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Can HTC Surround be tethered?

Tip us?

rjotto1@pacbell.net
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Post [Q] Can HTC Surround be tethered?

Does anyone know if there is currently a way to tether the HTC Surround to a laptop. Evidently there is a backdoor way to do this with a Samsung Focus. Is anyone working on this for the Surround?
RJOman

jwzg
Old
Retired Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 78
Not at this point. I think there may be a backdoor way to activate it like in the Samsung.

Current Devices:
HTC Surround with Mango
HTC Inspire 4G - with stock DHD GB ROM
HTC View4G - unlocked with stock ROM

Retired:
Refurbished AT&T Fuze (Raphael) w/stock 6.1 HTC TP ROM.
AT&T 8525 (Hermes) with HTC TyTN II 19212
WM 6.1 ROM (everything but touch) Link
Cingular/AT&T 8125 (Wizard)
G4 With HTC Branded AKU 4.4 Link

jaraya13
Old
Thanks Meter 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwzg View Post
Not at this point. I think there may be a backdoor way to activate it like in the Samsung.
Yes but we need it now!!

I can't even find any information regarding how to access the Diagnosis Mode in an HTC Surround... Do you know how to?

Thanks!
---------------------------------------------------
Previous Phones:
HTC Touch > HTC Touch Diamond P3700 > HTC Touch Diamond 2 > HTC PURE > HTC Tilt2 > SAMSUNG FOCUS > HTC Inspire > Samsung Infuse > SAMSUNG Galaxy Note

Hit "Thanks" if I've helped

jwzg
Old
Retired Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 78
Wow...don't be impatient. ##3282# is the code for Field Test, but there's nothing there that we can use.

Current Devices:
HTC Surround with Mango

Retired:
The Following User Says Thank You to jwzg For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jaraya13
Old
Thanks Meter 45
Quote:
Wow...don't be impatient. ##3282# is the code for Field Test, but there's nothing there that we can use.
Yes, I am sorry. Is just that I really need tethering for work. And yesterday I lost my Samsung Focus, so I am with a Surround right now but I really do miss my Samsung...

Do you think that with the No Donuts update for WP7, we can have access via an HTC Surround?
Previous Phones:
HTC Touch > HTC Touch Diamond P3700 > HTC Touch Diamond 2 > HTC PURE > HTC Tilt2 > SAMSUNG FOCUS > HTC Inspire > Samsung Infuse > SAMSUNG Galaxy Note

jwzg
Old
Retired Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 78
Doubt it can be done backdoor...AT&T thinks data is gold and doesn't leave us a whole lot of options.

BTW, Just checked my feature options on AT&T, they have smartphone enterprise tethering listed as a data option (2GB for $60/mo.) If you are that desparate, you'll have to do it that way.

Current Devices:
HTC Surround with Mango

Retired:

jaraya13
Old
Thanks Meter 45
Quote:
Doubt it can be done backdoor...AT&T thinks data is gold and doesn't leave us a whole lot of options.

BTW, Just checked my feature options on AT&T, they have smartphone enterprise tethering listed as a data option (2GB for $60/mo.) If you are that desparate, you'll have to do it that way.
Thanks for the quick reply. That is not an option for me, because I live in Costa Rica, not in the US. Also, tethering here is free, I just pay 8 dollars fix and I have unlimited Data connection and tethering. I was doing just great with my Focus. I think my only option is to buy another Focus...

I hate HTC for not allowing this kind of things, and also for blocking the option to change Display language from English to Spanish. In the Focus you can do that with no problems...
Previous Phones:

drumboy03
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Not HTC

It appears as though it is not HTC that is putting the blocks on, it is the carrier. That's just what I have been reading. I'm sure that there will be a way eventually, as there are strides being made to cracking htis thing wide open.

jaraya13
Old
Thanks Meter 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumboy03 View Post
It appears as though it is not HTC that is putting the blocks on, it is the carrier. That's just what I have been reading. I'm sure that there will be a way eventually, as there are strides being made to cracking htis thing wide open.
If it is a carrier subject, why the Samsung Focus is a complete different story also AT&T branded?
Previous Phones:

drumboy03
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Good Point

Good Point, like I said, that's just what I've been reading. I think that it's definitely something that will be fixed, based on the large amount of interest in it though.

Tags
tethering