Velocity is Like OpenTable on Steroids

We all enjoy a night out with friends or our significant other from time to time. However, there is … more

Android Lollipop Lands for the Sony Xperia Z Ultra

The undisputed king of the beasts–at least in Sony’s current stable,is the … more

Android 5.0 Lollipop in 3D–EVO 3D, That Is!

It is that time of the year once again. Flowers bloom (or snow falls, depending on which … more

Gaming Console with Lollipop? Ouya Gets an Android TV Port

Android is a very flexible platform, and it can be used on a large variety of … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Can HTC Surround be tethered?

OP rjotto1@pacbell.net

16th January 2011, 01:29 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Flag San Francisco
Thanks Meter: 0

9 posts
More
Does anyone know if there is currently a way to tether the HTC Surround to a laptop. Evidently there is a backdoor way to do this with a Samsung Focus. Is anyone working on this for the Surround?
17th January 2011, 03:26 AM   |  #2  
Retired Senior Moderator
Flag Prattville, AL
Thanks Meter: 79

1,533 posts
More
Not at this point. I think there may be a backdoor way to activate it like in the Samsung.
17th January 2011, 03:31 AM   |  #3  
Flag San Jose
Thanks Meter: 46

374 posts
More
Unhappy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwzg

Not at this point. I think there may be a backdoor way to activate it like in the Samsung.

Yes but we need it now!!

I can't even find any information regarding how to access the Diagnosis Mode in an HTC Surround... Do you know how to?

Thanks!
17th January 2011, 03:43 AM   |  #4  
Retired Senior Moderator
Flag Prattville, AL

1,533 posts
More
Wow...don't be impatient. ##3282# is the code for Field Test, but there's nothing there that we can use.
The Following User Says Thank You to jwzg For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th January 2011, 03:50 AM   |  #5  
Flag San Jose

374 posts
More
Quote:

Wow...don't be impatient. ##3282# is the code for Field Test, but there's nothing there that we can use.

Yes, I am sorry. Is just that I really need tethering for work. And yesterday I lost my Samsung Focus, so I am with a Surround right now but I really do miss my Samsung...

Do you think that with the No Donuts update for WP7, we can have access via an HTC Surround?
17th January 2011, 03:56 AM   |  #6  
Retired Senior Moderator
Flag Prattville, AL

1,533 posts
More
Doubt it can be done backdoor...AT&T thinks data is gold and doesn't leave us a whole lot of options.

BTW, Just checked my feature options on AT&T, they have smartphone enterprise tethering listed as a data option (2GB for $60/mo.) If you are that desparate, you'll have to do it that way.
17th January 2011, 04:19 AM   |  #7  
Flag San Jose

374 posts
More
Quote:

Doubt it can be done backdoor...AT&T thinks data is gold and doesn't leave us a whole lot of options.

BTW, Just checked my feature options on AT&T, they have smartphone enterprise tethering listed as a data option (2GB for $60/mo.) If you are that desparate, you'll have to do it that way.

Thanks for the quick reply. That is not an option for me, because I live in Costa Rica, not in the US. Also, tethering here is free, I just pay 8 dollars fix and I have unlimited Data connection and tethering. I was doing just great with my Focus. I think my only option is to buy another Focus...

I hate HTC for not allowing this kind of things, and also for blocking the option to change Display language from English to Spanish. In the Focus you can do that with no problems...
17th January 2011, 08:07 PM   |  #8  

80 posts
More
Not HTC
It appears as though it is not HTC that is putting the blocks on, it is the carrier. That's just what I have been reading. I'm sure that there will be a way eventually, as there are strides being made to cracking htis thing wide open.
17th January 2011, 08:24 PM   |  #9  
Flag San Jose

374 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumboy03

It appears as though it is not HTC that is putting the blocks on, it is the carrier. That's just what I have been reading. I'm sure that there will be a way eventually, as there are strides being made to cracking htis thing wide open.

If it is a carrier subject, why the Samsung Focus is a complete different story also AT&T branded?
17th January 2011, 08:35 PM   |  #10  

80 posts
More
Good Point
Good Point, like I said, that's just what I've been reading. I think that it's definitely something that will be fixed, based on the large amount of interest in it though.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
tethering
Previous Thread Next Thread