Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,526 Members 50,172 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] X10 Mini as WiFi Hotspot

Tip us?

enjoycool
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Question [Q] X10 Mini as WiFi Hotspot

Hi,
Can anyone give me some idea how can I turn my X10 mini into a wifi hotspot? I found many people are asking similar question but I did not notice any good answer. So this is possible or not?

Cyberwuulf
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Use Barnacle: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=740698
search for it in the market

you could found that information in the wiki or with some searching in this post in the x10 mini/pro General Forum
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cyberwuulf For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Raaert
Old
Thanks Meter 8
I use Barnacle Wifi Tether as Cyberwuulf already said.

It supports WEP encryption on my x10 mini pro, and works perfectly every time, super fast - And ive sent in a few good ideas to the dev which he promised to implement in the future.

Annoymous Man
Old
Thanks Meter 9
It works with my X10 Mini with PC connection, but fails to get connected by Xperia X8, and I'm still working out with other phones tomorrow... Please note that my X10 Mini is running 2.1, rooted.

Annoymous Man
Old
(Last edited by Annoymous Man; 17th February 2011 at 03:41 AM.) Reason: Reformatting the bottom part of the message.
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annoymous Man View Post
It works with my X10 Mini with PC connection, but fails to get connected by Xperia X8, and I'm still working out with other phones tomorrow... Please note that my X10 Mini is running 2.1, rooted.
And I got it works with my X8 too, before I read the following Ad-hoc mode only:

Can you make Barnacle use infrastructure mode instead of ad-hoc?

If one could make an Android phone look like a real access point (rather than an ad-hoc network), then it would improve compatibility and allow better security. Unfortunately, to make a wifi client behave like an access point requires fundamental changes in the device driver. The hardware vendors of the wireless interfaces present in most Android devices did not include such capability.

What one can do, however, is use Connectify to make their laptop running Windows 7 appear as a real access point. In combination with Barnacle it should be possible to connect many restricted devices (PS3, DSi, etc.) to the Internet.

sawari
Old
Thanks Meter 37
Sent from my E15i using XDA App
SGS

Annoymous Man
Old
Thanks Meter 9
[QUOTE=Annoymous Man;11415512]And I got it works with my X8 too Ad-hoc mode only:

and my damn old Palm TX and a notebook running Vista surf the Internet with both Android phones with Barnacle, and it's a freeware ;)

enjoycool
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Thanks for the help guys