[Q] Why so much CW hate ?
Starting this thread again as my previous one was deleted during the board's transformation yesterday...but I think it's important to bring up the subject.
Coming from an older Android terminal (Htc Magic), I still don't understand how so few dev's out there are actually using ClockworkMod Recovery for their ROM. I know, a lot of you come from WM 6.5, where USB-Flash was the only way to go but now things have changed ! If you are fan enough of Android to be willing to flash it completely to the Nand, wiping WinMo6.5, then go with it and start flashing your ROMS the Android way. The CW way !
As a reminder, CW allows to :
- Flash your ROMS from the SD card. Imagine you want to flash a new ROM but have to leave for 2 days without a computer; it's not a problem ! Put it on the SD card and flash it later !
- Easily implement new kernels or updates. Doing so, dev's can propose completely clean build with the option to flash as many add-on's, updates, kernels or fixes you want. Look here : http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=810471
. You can't make it easier.
- Partition your SD card with an ext partition the size you want without
the need of a software or a linux-based iso. If you are a Windows user, that's a huge time saver !
- Back-up ans restore. That's a HUGE bonus. Want to flash a new ROM ? Back-up all your current ROM (5 minutes), then flash the new one. Don't like after all ? Restore your backup in 5 minutes...
- For me (and here, I'm not my saying it's always the case, just FOR ME), sd data transfer through CW is two times faster than through MAGLDR.
- Many more...
The same goes for EXT. Using data.img is outdated, it's another WinMo days leftover. Ext is actually mounted as an internal memory, allowing Sense Roms. And the apps installed there won't need to be reinstalled every updates...
It's tough for a Android user like myself to find a proper ROM/Zip with data2ext support these days. Pretty much MDJ, thank God for him. It seems that there a lot of ROMS to choose from but actually there isn't. Especially when the DAF to ZIP tool from the board doesn't work with all the DAF's releases (most of the time it's actually the releases that are not made right).
So please, be an Android user and make the step. It's like you found the door but are afraid to come in...
Just go and read the CW tutorial thread if you are unsure
. I'll be willing to help also...