Early Lollipop Ports for Micromax A116 and A117

It feels like it was only yesterday when Google announced the mysterious Android L.After … more

Now Gesture Tweaks Replaces Google Now with Custom Action

On most modern Android devices with software navigation keys, swiping up from the … more

ToqAN Fixes Android 5.0 Notification Bug on Qualcomm Toq

The Qualcomm Toq is probably one of the lesser known smartwatches on the market … more

How to Root and Unlock the Google Nexus 6 on a Mac – XDA TV

In the past, XDA Developer TV Producer droidmodd3rx has shown you how to … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Thread Deleted

[Q] Should I wait, or should I just buy?

OP ghost55

17th January 2011, 05:57 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 2

44 posts
So, A few really good locking tablets came out of CES 2011, The Notion Ink Adam, and the Motorola Xoom. Both run basically identical internal hardware, the only difference between the two being the OS (stock 3.0 vs a heavily modified version of 2.2). I am trying to decide to get the Adam now, or wait a few months, so I have a few very specific questions:
1. Which wifi only version will be cheaper, and how much will each cost.
2. Which OS experience will be better.
3. Which one has the best extra features (Does the Adam have something cooler then a barometer?)
thanks.
17th January 2011, 08:16 AM   |  #2  
Knoxville
Thanks Meter: 42

947 posts
More
Xoom will have the best tablet designed OS, at least u would think. But then again the adam has been in the works for about the past 2 years lol so it should be in good shape.

Sent from my DROIDX using XDA App
17th January 2011, 11:43 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 1

7 posts
Just letting you know that the Motorola Xoom was only running a stock version of 3.0 in the videos shown of it. I think the adam will supply you with the best of both worlds with eden and then swipe up and have normal andoird. Also Notion Ink is going to update the Adam to 3.0 when it comes out and they plan to work fast and hard on it to get the update out. Personally i think you would be sacrificing a lot of extra features such as full size usb ports, Pixel Qi display, A lot of community support and other features. Also just because Motorola has 3.0 first doesn't mean its going to be the best. A lot of companies will learn from their mistakes and improve as time goes on. Look at motorola's mobile phones with andoid some people love the ui and some people hate it.
17th January 2011, 01:51 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 3

63 posts
I preorder a Adam but I cancel my order after I saw the xoom at CES. I know the xoom doesn't offer as much of features as Adam but one thing a really hate is companies making their own UI to go but their products. I like my android experience stock. The xoom is going to be a bit more expensive but you get what you pay for.

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA App
17th January 2011, 06:21 PM   |  #5  
Flag queensbury,NY
Thanks Meter: 5

169 posts
Donate to Me
More
The Xoom does have a custom ui. Blur. It was running stock 3.0 at ces but it won't be when u get it. And all you have to do is swipe up and you have stock on the Adam. From what i've read the Xoom is shipping with 2.3 and will be upgraded to 3.0 at a later date.

Sent from my ADR6300 using XDA App
17th January 2011, 09:54 PM   |  #6  
OP Member

44 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbishop18

The Xoom does have a custom ui. Blur. It was running stock 3.0 at ces but it won't be when u get it. And all you have to do is swipe up and you have stock on the Adam. From what i've read the Xoom is shipping with 2.3 and will be upgraded to 3.0 at a later date.

I have a hard time seeing that happen.
18th January 2011, 03:06 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 0

26 posts
at this point they seem close enough in comparison that im going to buy whichever becomes available first since i missed the first preorder of the notion.
18th January 2011, 09:41 PM   |  #8  
OP Member

44 posts
I can't wait until the reviews start coming out!
19th January 2011, 03:31 AM   |  #9  
Flag queensbury,NY
Thanks Meter: 5

169 posts
Donate to Me
More
Correction on my part. I guess Xoom is shipping with honeycomb. It was the fact that it won't ship LTE capable but will be upgradable to it later. Sorry for the mistake.

19th January 2011, 05:33 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 0

32 posts
I pre-ordered Adam, my first tablet, and am looking forward to its delivery.

Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread