Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,714 Members 40,998 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Top layer of the screen cracked, poor build quality?

Tip us?

thepretorian
Old
(Last edited by thepretorian; 18th January 2011 at 06:01 PM.) Reason: Added more pics and a video of the crack
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Top layer of the screen cracked, poor build quality?

From day one when I got my Folio the right bottom of the screen is a bit coming out of the black "frame" (1-2mm). But lately its getting worser and tonight when I hold the Folio on that spot like usual, the top plastic layer suddenly cracked.
The screen itself is unharmed and as for the touch part, all still work fine.

This should be covered by the warranty I hope. Looks like a poor build quality. Only got the device for like 2-3 weeks. *sigh*

Should I flash it back to the stock rom? Since its running Dexter's Mod 1.3C now.
They only need to replace the plastic layer and maybe the touch part, idk.

http://s861.photobucket.com/albums/a...een%20cracked/

Some pics of the crack, the board doesn't allow me to post links because my post count.

Nemo0815
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Well i would say hold it more carefully, the screen is glass and cracks like glass (if you want it to).
HTC Desire
Toshiba Folio 100

My weather app (also suitable for i900 Omnia!)

killerbie
Old
Thanks Meter 23

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepretorian View Post
From day one when I got my Folio the right bottom of the screen is a bit coming out of the black "frame" (1-2mm). But lately its getting worser and tonight when I hold the Folio on that spot like usual, the top plastic layer suddenly cracked.
The screen itself is unharmed and as for the touch part, all still work fine.

This should be covered by the warranty I hope. Looks like a poor build quality. Only got the device for like 2-3 weeks. *sigh*

Should I flash it back to the stock rom? Since its running Dexter's Mod 1.3C now.
They only need to replace the plastic layer and maybe the touch part, idk.

img337.imageshack.us/img337/6633/img1908nh.jpg
img87.imageshack.us/img87/1899/img1914n.jpg
Some pics of the crack, the board doesn't allow me to post links because my post count.
I am from Belguim too, and i have the same thing!
It didn't (yet) cracked here but still...
I thought it was because I always hold it with my left hand, normally warranty should fix the problem for you. (as long as the screen isn't cracked!!)

thepretorian
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Did a factory reset and flashed it back to the stock rom. Don't want anyone getting hand on my "personal" data like logins/emails etc when you know how confidential ppl work at repair centers.

The screen itself is untouched, touch works fine even in the cracked area's. It is really that plastic/glass layer on top. I'm taking it back to the store tomorrow.

Killerbie, watch out around that area and don't put too much pressure on it when you hold it there. I was holding it with my right thumb (and palm of course) and then it suddenly happened. The layer doesn't fit very well in the black frame around it.

thepretorian
Old
(Last edited by thepretorian; 18th January 2011 at 06:02 PM.) Reason: Adding more pics
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I just came back from the store and they refuse to take it under warranty. Even though everything works, touch part (even in the cracked area's), screen is untouched (no liquid leaking or spots), etc.

I'm going to call Toshiba Support directly and see what they say. Since I'm not the only one with that 1-2mm popping out at the right corner. It is just a matter of time the glass cracks on other's Folio.

I've also added more pics and a video showing the touch part is still working fine. But I don't dare to push on the cracked area to prevent further damaging.

http://s861.photobucket.com/albums/a...een%20cracked/

HTC Desire HD with Android 2.3.5 stock rom
HTC Touch Pro2 with WM6.5.3 stock rom
Meizu M9 with Android 2.2 stock rom

SoJoS
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Despite being very carefully with my hardware, I noticed the screen is beginning to come loose. It's not as bad as I've seen on your pictures but worrying nevertheless. It's only 1 month old.
Looks like the folio 100 don't like being handled with just one hand.
Did you contact Toshiba, and what did they say?

thepretorian
Old
(Last edited by thepretorian; 29th January 2011 at 02:32 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Well after a couple of phone calls to Toshiba they agreed to pick it up and gave me an RMA. After a couple days I got an Email with some information and RMA number written in bad Dutch.

Saying that I have to print and sign this document stating that I agree to be charged in case the repair-center deem that the broken glass top is not covered by the warranty.
Due to that phrase and the fact if I sign, I'm screwed either way, because the device has to be fixed anyway. Also in the email they mentioned that I have to sent it to Czech Republic. Means that would cost me 44 euro to UPS it (sending faulty devices by regular post packs is a big no no).

Quote:
-------------------------
Klacht omschrijving: The glas from the display is down in the right corner some milimeters bigger than it has to be

Door ondertekening van dit document gaat u akkoord met het volgende:

De tablet-PC zal worden getest en / of gerepareerd door Pegatron Czech s.r.o. namens Toshiba binnen de garantie van de fabrikant.
Mogt de reparateur bepalen dat de fout niet is gedekt door de garantie (bv. gebroken LCD), ontvangt de klant een offerte van de kosten van de reparateur. Als de klant weigert de kosten te betalen, zal het apparaat weer ongerepareerd worden teruggestuurd.
Nog Toshiba, nog de hersteller zijn verantwoordelijk voor het verlies van gegevens die tijdens de reparatie opkomen.
-------------------------
So I mailed them back that on the phone the lady spoke of a pick up etc... No reply for one week. So I decided it to give it another try at the store.
This time it was a different person at the counter, I did my story, said that I contacted Toshiba and they agreed to repair it etc. And now its at their repair center for a week now.

And right after 2 weeks I sent that mail to Toshiba about that pickup, they finally replied back, saying, indeed a pick up will be done by UPS or TNT... and that they will contact me for the pick up.
So from calling to Toshiba, to get the device picked up... will take 2 weeks! *unacceptable*

So right now I'm ignoring Toshiba and hoping that the store is really going to repair it under warranty. Since its not a crystal breach. Just the top layer(glass/plastic, etc).

Glad I'm not the only one with this problem, mine is just the result of the problem.

SoJoS
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Hm, sounds promising...not.
As said mine is not as bad as yours and my screen isn't cracked (yet).
I'm gonna send a mail to the shop I bought it from (Dynabyte NL), at this point it's acceptable but I don't want to wait till the problem gets bigger.
Thanks for your respond and I hope it works out for you.

The Hellion
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoJoS View Post
Despite being very carefully with my hardware, I noticed the screen is beginning to come loose. It's not as bad as I've seen on your pictures but worrying nevertheless. It's only 1 month old.
Looks like the folio 100 don't like being handled with just one hand.
Did you contact Toshiba, and what did they say?
Mine is also bulging, and it has never been handled with just one hand... Actually, it has never been handled, because I just bought it yesterday, and I have not even unsealed the plastic bag; touching it you can clearly feel the bulge, so I believe it is not that the screen comes unstuck after use, but that there is something pressing it outwards, that causes it to bulge first, and to crack later on. Of course, mine is going out tomorrow; I will exchange it for a non-pregnant folio, if available, because there are several people reporting the same problem, and in any case, will take out insurance on it; that way any potential trouble will be covered, either by the guarantee or by the insurance.

thepretorian
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Glad that there are other people having this problem too. That was my first impression to, that something under the glass/screen is pushing it 1-2mm out. And after a while it sticking more out due to usage of the tablet.

Right after I got my tablet accepted at the store for repair, I went inside and checked the demo device if it had the problem too. And indeed, there it was also sticking out. I'm really disappointed in Toshiba