5,595,428 Members 47,613 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] MPlayer on Android

Tip us?
 
tobr
Old
#1  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Posts: 34
Join Date: Dec 2010
Default [Q] MPlayer on Android

Has anybody tried a new mplayer for android? Is it worth of giving it a try?
http://www.xda-developers.com/androi...d-for-android/
There are people even with tablets (A101) satisfied with it in the diskussion thread.
 
mddsd
Old
#2  
mddsd's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 9
Posts: 156
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Gothenburg
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobr View Post
Has anybody tried a new mplayer for android? Is it worth of giving it a try?
http://www.xda-developers.com/androi...d-for-android/
There are people even with tablets (A101) satisfied with it in the diskussion thread.
I'm a bit disappointed with the mplayer. I have several clips which I could play with the Toshiba Mediaplayer and these did not work very well in the mplayer.
I should mention that the clips were 720p and 1080p, but when played with the Toshiba Mediaplayer (which use hardware acceleration) the Folio plays them without breaking any sweat.

I think we have to wait for a video player that use the Tegra 2 hardware instead of using the CPU to decode mkv.
 
tobr
Old
#3  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Posts: 34
Join Date: Dec 2010
Yes, I did some testing myself and I was disappointed with the quality. Normal SD AVIs from web were pixelized. There was no antialias or smoothing. The pixels of video were just magnified.
Rockplayer with HW support produced much better output.
Maybe for some formats not supported with rockplayer. Lets hope that in some future release it would be better. I didn't make any changes into config file maybe if I applied some filters, the result would be different.
 
gohanSS
Old
#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 190
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mddsd View Post
I should mention that the clips were 720p and 1080p, but when played with the Toshiba Mediaplayer (which use hardware acceleration) the Folio plays them without breaking any sweat.
Did you use a usb disk to play the clips from or did you try from a UPnP server? I am asking because I haven't been able to play any mkv from wifi connection with clips on my nas as the toshiba player always crashes
 
mddsd
Old
#5  
mddsd's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 9
Posts: 156
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Gothenburg
Quote:
Originally Posted by gohanSS View Post
Did you use a usb disk to play the clips from or did you try from a UPnP server? I am asking because I haven't been able to play any mkv from wifi connection with clips on my nas as the toshiba player always crashes
It's not possible to play mkv-files with the Toshiba Mediaplayer.
The clips I played are either in MOV or MP4-format.
 
gohanSS
Old
#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 190
Join Date: Dec 2010
ok, tnx. I'll have to wait too for a better media player
 
bmi44
Old
#7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 1
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Nantes
Quote:
Originally Posted by gohanSS View Post
ok, tnx. I'll have to wait too for a better media player
Rockplayer read all formats. You choise hard or soft decoding.
For me is the best player
 
Ezzy77
Old
#8  
Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 82
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Espoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmi44 View Post
Rockplayer read all formats. You choise hard or soft decoding.
For me is the best player
I haven't managed to get any player to play HD x264 mkv's properly. Mostly they don't even start or are just really choppy. Some have options for HW/SW decoding, but still nothing.

Tested so far (latest versions): Vitalplayer, Vplayer, Yxplayer, Rockplayer, Act1 player, Default gallery, ES file manager movie player.

Any suggestions? Running Foliomod 1.3d
Co-Founder of Androidsuomi.fi - G1 (SuperFroyo), SGS3 stock.
 
Ezzy77
Old
#9  
Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 82
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Espoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezzy77 View Post
I haven't managed to get any player to play HD x264 mkv's properly. Mostly they don't even start or are just really choppy. Some have options for HW/SW decoding, but still nothing.

Tested so far (latest versions): Vitalplayer, Vplayer, Yxplayer, Rockplayer, Act1 player, Default gallery, ES file manager movie player.

Any suggestions? Running Foliomod 1.3d
Mplayer seems to play most .MKV files, but framerate is really poor. Anyone found any working solutions for HD video playback?
Co-Founder of Androidsuomi.fi - G1 (SuperFroyo), SGS3 stock.
 
mddsd
Old
(Last edited by mddsd; 18th February 2011 at 12:20 PM.)
#10  
mddsd's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 9
Posts: 156
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Gothenburg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezzy77 View Post
Mplayer seems to play most .MKV files, but framerate is really poor. Anyone found any working solutions for HD video playback?
No not at the moment, but there are a few which in time could be intresting.
CorePlayer is one that I think will be able to play MKV, this due to the fact that they have their own codecs which are very effective and they use the hardware better. But its awfully quiet in the CoreCodec Forum.
They showed of their Android CorePlayer at CES in January.

Another one is the Video Player for the LG Optimus 2x which should support playing MKV in 1080p using the Tegra hardware. The problem here is to port the application to our Folio which has not been that successful. But this is something that could change over time.

More and more manufacturers are using the Tegra platform so I think it's just a matter of time before we se MKV support i several of them and perhaps they could be ported to our Folio.

As mentioned before you could use the MOV format and play video in 1080p without any problem using the Toshiba Media Player or the video player which comes with the Gallery.
But you would probably need to convert your video-files to the Mov format and that is one thing that I for one find a bit tedious.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Add Swipe Utilities to Your App with SimpleFingerGestures Library

Gestures have become an increasingly important element in smartphone UI … more

Android App Review: Lock it Down with Lockdown Pro – XDA Developer TV

Our smartphones are our lives. They store our contacts, emails, … more

Get the AOSP Lock Screen on Your ICS-Powered Samsung Device

Android is the only popular mobile operating system that allows users, … more

Motorola Droid RAZR HD and M to Receive KitKat in a “Few More Weeks”

Verizon and Motorola shocked us all back in November when … more