Detect, Avoid IMSI-Catcher Attacks with Android IMSI-Catcher Detector

Privacy is always an important topic, as well as a delicate one to … more

Materialized LeanDroid Fights Your Poor Battery Life

Battery life has always been one of the biggest problems facing most Android devices. … more

Bump! Workaround for the LG G3 Locked Bootloader – XDA TV

The LG G3 is a power house device. It’s been a favorite of many people. … more

Enable Call Recording on Xperia Z2 and Z3

Call recording, while not legal in every part of the world, is quite handy in certain situations. … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Project] Incoming MMS Picture Size Fix

OP totalundone

19th January 2011, 06:25 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 40

290 posts
More
Hey all, this would probably be only interesting to those who are receiving 2kb, 160x120 MMS messages. Using TMO-USA as an example, the X10 received large MMS images with 1.6, but I'm guessing it doesn't recognize the uaprofile of 2.1 and now are getting tiny mms images. This could also help others on other networks that have the same problem.

Cyanogenmod has an option to switch the profile. Someone else on XDA has posted some of the changes, and those can be found here.

I'm thinking that since I don't think we can compile a new mms.apk, maybe it's possible to edit the current mms.apk with the uaprofile from a different phone (probably the t717/equinox for the tmo users)? Hopefully it's not encrypted or anything either...

So off I go into root explorer and I can't find any mms.apk in my x10. hmm, so i adb shell into it and still no mms.apk. I can't get too far if I can't find the mms application, lol.

so does anyone know what SE uses for mms? or if I'm just simply not seeing it?

obviously, i'm new to working with android, i'll pick up more as time goes on thanks for any help!
Last edited by totalundone; 9th February 2011 at 10:02 PM.
19th January 2011, 06:55 PM   |  #2  
OP Senior Member

290 posts
More
Bah! Just in case anyone else looks, I think I found it... sigh.
I searched through the /data/data/ folder and found a reference to 'ericssson' (part of what would be the normal uaprofile text) in com.sonyericsson.converstations_preferences.xml... converstations, eh? makes sense... and yes, there's a converstations.apk

so far i've unzipped it and found 'mms_config.xml' that has max file size and dimensions... but i think this might be only for outgoing mms...
19th January 2011, 06:57 PM   |  #3  
Flag Manchester
Thanks Meter: 286

1,038 posts
More
I could be wrong, but isn't it conversations.apk

EDIT: nevermind, looks like you already found it lol
Last edited by CuBz90; 19th January 2011 at 06:59 PM.
20th January 2011, 03:52 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 0

17 posts
More
Curious
Thanks for trying to work on it. I would love to have a fix to these small picture messages on T-mo US. But is it possible that the small picture sizes have something to do with T-mo's services somehow???
20th January 2011, 05:31 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

290 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by motibbs96

Thanks for trying to work on it. I would love to have a fix to these small picture messages on T-mo US. But is it possible that the small picture sizes have something to do with T-mo's services somehow???

It was working fine with 1.6 but when the X10 jumped up to 2.1, mms images were small. So to me, that means that the tmobile no longer recognizes the phone and it goes automatically downsizing all incoming images.

What I'm not sure is if TMO checks the url of the phone's uaprof or if it just looks at the url and just checks it against their own database. I'm thinking the latter.

Another thought might be if TMO just looks at the specs that the phone gives. The reason for this last question is because X10 1.6 had a max size of 640x480 (not sure if this was receiving or sending) at 1 meg (tmo only handles 300k max). with X10 2.1, it states a max size of 1600x1200 and a max size of 1 meg. Maybe it thinks 1600x1200 is too big and it hits some trigger on TMO's side to only send the fallback size (160x120)

I would recommend emailing customer service (and for anyone else having the same issue with their respective provider) and seeing if they can add the uaprof of the x10i (url) to their database. I know this UAprof is from the v24 update. I'm not sure if it's any different for the DT update or the first 2.1 update. It's not a permanent solution but it's all we have for now.
20th January 2011, 05:44 PM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member

290 posts
More
I thought I'd also post an update, in case if anyone has any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong or helpful tips.

I searched the entire system directory for any text within the files that might relate to uaprof or udp or anything like that. Nothing. I think in 'normal' Android builds have a mm_property.conf file where we can change the uaprof info. So for now, I'm concentrating on converstations.apk and that specific file isn't located there (or anywhere). SE has to store this info somewhere so I think it's in a different conf file. But for the hell of it, I did a hex search for anything that might be related to uaprof (just in case a text search missed something). Again, nothing.

SE encrypted converstations.apk. So if it's in there somewhere, we have to decrypt it first. I'm looking into and reading on decrypting and repackaging the apk. Seems easy enough - I just need to learn a little more.
29th January 2011, 01:53 PM   |  #7  
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 245

391 posts
Donate to Me
More
APN Settings
Name: T-Mobile US
APN: epc.tmobile.com
Proxy: 216.155.165.050
Port: 8080
Username: (leave this blank)
Password: (leave this blank)
Server: (leave this blank)
MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
MMS Proxy: 216.155.165.050
MMS Port: 8080
MMS Protocol: WAP 2.0 (don't know if this is important)
MCC: 310
MNC: 260
APN Type: (leave this blank)

To create APN settings for your Xperia.

1. Go to 'Settings'
2. Select 'Wireless & networks'
3. Browse down to 'Mobile networks'
4. Browse down to 'Access Point Names'
5. Click the Menu (Left) button
6. Select 'New APN'
7. Key in the detail relating to your provider or carrier
8. Then press the radio button to select it
9. Save settings, reboot phone.

To test your network dial the following on your phone dial keypad to get into test mode: *#*#4636#*#*
31st January 2011, 02:10 AM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member

290 posts
More
Thanks for the help, but the issue isn't an APN setting. Just for giggles, I went ahead and changed the default APN settings to this and can confirm that it still receives small images.

So far I've decompiled the apk but haven't found the settings I need to change
7th February 2011, 04:00 PM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member

290 posts
More
Alright. So I've *properly* decompiled the apk (I'm working on the newest X10i build, v435). It references the UXprof url from framework-res.apk. I found where the url is in that file and changed it to the url for the Tmobile G2 (just to see if that change will work). Unfortunately, I need to recompile framework-res.apk and from everything I've read, it's recommended not to do that.

I'll keep on reading to see if I can do it, but has anyone recompiled framework-res.apk for the x10?
7th February 2011, 08:50 PM   |  #10  
Flag Winnipeg
Thanks Meter: 17

168 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by totalundone

Alright. So I've *properly* decompiled the apk (I'm working on the newest X10i build, v435). It references the UXprof url from framework-res.apk. I found where the url is in that file and changed it to the url for the Tmobile G2 (just to see if that change will work). Unfortunately, I need to recompile framework-res.apk and from everything I've read, it's recommended not to do that.

I'll keep on reading to see if I can do it, but has anyone recompiled framework-res.apk for the x10?

I've dealt with framework-res.apk before. It was just to add the Super Circle Battery, but I can tell you what works.

Compiling the APK seems to encrypt the XML files one by one. If you change any of the resources (like adding images), then you also need to compile a new resources.asrc. Fortunately, since it's a system file, you don't need to sign the APK.

Check this thread for lots of good info on modifying framework-res.apk (thanks to _calum_ and MrRusch):
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=834806

Important points:
- The XML files and resources.asrc need to be compiled.
- The APK doesn't need to be signed.
- You can compile the XML and resources.asrc with APK Manager, then extract them from the "unsigned" APK it creates, and then reinsert them into a copy of the original APK using WinRAR (or your favorite zip tool).
- Compression should be set to "store" (a.k.a. no compression).

Be sure to have a backup copy of your original framework-res.apk. It's best to leave a copy on your SD card somewhere.

Be careful when replacing framework-res.apk. Copying it with Root Explorer isn't a good idea. I think the permissions get screwed up or something, and you don't have time to change it because it reboots right away. It's better to copy it onto your SD card and use the dd command through ADB.

Quote:

adb shell dd if=/sdcard/framework-res.apk of=/system/framework/framework-res.apk

If you mess up, then you may not be able to boot the phone. Don't panic. ADB is still available even when it hasn't booted yet, so just use dd to replace it with your old one.

The Following User Says Thank You to Grospolina For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread