Adam Skin / Cover (Carbon Fiber)

Search This thread

joshua.lyon

Dec 20, 2010
Dallas, TX
boshdirect.com
If you've browsed other sections of the XDA forums, then you may be familiar with the carbon fiber skins that people have applied to their devices. In specific, when I was browsing the ViewSonic G-Tablet section of the forums, I saw that one person was manufacturing computer cut vinyl skins. These skins are made out of a material that has a visible texture that shows in various lighting conditions and are not simply printed patterns.

I emailed the guy who makes the G-tablet skins and asked if he had plans to make a skin for the NotionInk Adam or if he would be willing to custom make one and he said yes. While he did say he could probably make one using detailed measurements and some really good photos, it would be much easier if someone could drop by his facility so he could create a template directly on the Adam.

If anyone lives in the Delaware area, please get in contact with the guys at GotShadeOnline. If someone can stop by their shop, they will take the measurements on your device so they can get an accurate template created and in return they will provide the skin free of charge. This would be a big help for other NotionInk Adam owners as the skin is nice quality and would make for a good accessory. I'm personally interested in one as I'd like to cover up the ugly markings on the back of the device and add some further protection from scratches / etc.

GotShadeOnline - ViewSonic G-Tablet Cover

cf1.jpg

cf2-2.jpg

sample_rolls.jpg

sample_swatches.jpg

Some Reference Threads:

Last edited:

aaron19953

Jan 27, 2008
Hey, that skin looks familiar !

I sent off an email to Notion to see if they could email me measurements as well as a picture of the back of the Adam. I also asked if they had any "dummy" units available for shipping. I'll let you know as soon as i hear something back from them !

johnboatcat

Feb 23, 2008
Central Florida
The light colors would be great

for using the Adam in sun as I am sure they will get very hot. My Pixel Qi Lenovo gets steaming even in the winter in Fla.

scotchguy

Mar 25, 2011
Hello neighbor, I am just visiting from across the way at the Viewsonic Gtab section. I just ordered a Skinomi wood skin set (with screen protector) for my Gtab. I was sent one for the Adam my mistake. Now, mine is of the wood variety rather than the lovely carbon fiber. But at least I thought I would let anyone interested in skins now that Skinomi make them, and they look fairly sharp.

Just my $0.02

aaron19953

Jan 27, 2008
Yeah, there was bound to be a copycat sooner or later.. At least we'll ship you the correct product... hehe ..

scotchguy

Mar 25, 2011
Yeah, there was bound to be a copycat sooner or later.. At least we'll ship you the correct product... hehe ..

Haha yeah, I totally agree. I have been eyeballing your thread on the custom skin for the Gtab since I got my woot deal. I have been tempted to order, but I just couldn't bring myself to get the carbon fiber skin when everyone else is soon to have one. The best part of a tablet is it's uniqueness. But make a wood skin, and who knows!

On a side note, Skinomi contacted me right away after my formal complaint landed in their inbox. I was surprised how helpful they were. They are sending me the new one as we speak and they don't want the old one back. :eek:

Now to see if anyone locally owns an Adam, or if I will be skinning my phone with wood!

aaron19953

Jan 27, 2008
Well i'm glad they have good customer service. I totally understand what you're saying about being unique.. It wouldn't be hard for us to cut wood grain either, as a matter of fact we're doing a hospital nurses station cabinets with it. I've been toying with the idea of designing some printed skins, just haven't had a chance to sit down and do it.

scotchguy

Mar 25, 2011
The skin they use is the same 3M Di-Noc they use for their carbon fiber. It has a nice texture. If your shop can get its hands on some of the other styles of Ni-Doc, I am sure the community would be willing to buy enough to make it worth it. I know 3M has about 30 different wood grains to choose from, and something like 600 variations!