XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

SD card speed fix (5Mbps to 15Mbps)

Tip us?

lahma69
Old
(Last edited by lahma69; 20th January 2011 at 02:23 PM.) Reason: Confusing
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 50
Default SD card speed fix (5Mbps to 15Mbps)

I guess no one had really noticed, but there is a major flaw with the evo. The microsd read speed is severely limited. I just bought a new Patriot 32gb class 10 micro sdhc card, and the read speed was great on my pc, but on my evo it was getting stuck at 5Mbps oi tested with "sd card speed tester" while my write speed was correct at 11Mbps. I don't understand why all developers aren't integrating it into their roms/kernels , it doesn't make sense... All you have to do is use root explorer or some other root file manager and navigate to "/sys/devices/virtual/bdi/179:0/" and open the file "read_ahead_kb" with a text editor (with root explorer just long press the file and select "open with text editor", and if the value is anything other than 128, change it to 128 and save the file. The read speed on my new class 10 card went from 5Mpbs to 15Mbps, BIG DIFFERENCE! Only problem with doing it this way is it changes back to 4 after a reboot. There if a flashable file in the post I got this info from ( http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...815557&page=19 ) but I haven't tried it. Apparently it is very easy to integrate... Enjoy the correct speeds for your card! Please visit the post to see who solved this issue, it surely wasn't me!
The Following 39 Users Say Thank You to lahma69 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

willy900wonka
Old
Thanks Meter 71
If you want to increase the read ahead buffer automatically here's a gscript which does it.
Based on: echo 128 > /sys/devices/virtual/bdi/179:0/read_ahead_kb

Oops xda doesn't attach text?
Just enter the echo line in terminal.

cat /sys/devices/virtual/bdi/179:0/read_ahead_kb
echo 128 > /sys/devices/virtual/bdi/179:0/read_ahead_kb
cat /sys/devices/virtual/bdi/179:0/read_ahead_kb

Sent with Super-Sonic Vision using XDA app.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to willy900wonka For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

CheesyNutz
Old
Thanks Meter 2762
this worked for me but i would like a flashable zip so i dont have to do it every reboot

cmart4
Old
Thanks Meter 122
thanks for the tip, when i checked mine, i was already at 128

MrDSL
Old
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 2507

DONATE TO ME
I have been wondering about my sd card speed here lately..Anyone know a free app on the market to test my speed?

cm7 has 128 already set so thats not it cause my card read seems slow.
Phone: Optimus G Pro
ROM: CM10
Kernel
Theme: Mixer
Radio: BM9615A

Follow me on Twitter @Mr_DSL

Jus10o
Old
Thanks Meter 5
mine was set to 4 as well.. What you can also do is add the echo line to a script in the init.d folder and every time the phone boots up it should echo the command to the file and change it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jus10o For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

iitreatedii
Old
Thanks Meter 79
mine is just set like this

thats it no more than that
The Following User Says Thank You to iitreatedii For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

CheesyNutz
Old
Thanks Meter 2762
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDSL View Post
I have been wondering about my sd card speed here lately..Anyone know a free app on the market to test my speed?

cm7 has 128 already set so thats not it cause my card read seems slow.

free version of the Sdcard speed tester
Attached Files
File Type: apk br.com.fast4ward.apk - [Click for QR Code] (21.9 KB, 6371 views)
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to CheesyNutz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Androidious
Old
Thanks Meter 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus10o View Post
mine was set to 4 as well.. What you can also do is add the echo line to a script in the init.d folder and every time the phone boots up it should echo the command to the file and change it.
I know I could just go searching for this, but given my physical state and my lack of lucidity bc of pain pills, im going to have to ask, lol, anyway you can put complete instructions on how to add this line to the init.d folder and have it work at every boot? Thanks so much... btw, long time no see... since heroc days lol

Sent from my sweet HTC EVO running Myn's Warm TwoPointTwo RLS 5 with all the goodies
Androidious / UbuNt-wHo
__________________________________________________ ____________________
Hardware: Samsung Galaxy S4 | Baseband: L720VPUAMF9 | PRL: 55015 | ROM: Sac's_Custom_ROM (hands down awesome) + Reverepats' ICS Mods (one badass theme)
__________________________________________________ ____________________
Hardware: ASUS Transformer TF300T| Radio: WiFi only | ROM: Carbon ROM (4.2.2)

njfoses
Old
Thanks Meter 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by lahma69 View Post
I guess no one had really noticed, but there is a major flaw with the evo. The microsd read speed is severely limited. I just bought a new Patriot 32gb class 10 micro sdhc card, and the read speed was great on my pc, but on my evo it was getting stuck at 5Mbps oi tested with "sd card speed tester" while my write speed was correct at 11Mbps. I don't understand why all developers aren't integrating it into their roms/kernels , it doesn't make sense... All you have to do is use root explorer or some other root file manager and navigate to "/sys/devices/virtual/bdi/179:0/" and open the file "read_ahead_kb" with a text editor (with root explorer just long press the file and select "open with text editor", and if the value is anything other than 4, change it to 128 and save the file. The read speed on my new class 10 card went from 5Mpbs to 15Mbps, BIG DIFFERENCE! Only problem with doing it this way is it changes back to 4 after a reboot. There if a flashable file in the post I got this info from ( http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...815557&page=19 ) but I haven't tried it. Apparently it is very easy to integrate... Enjoy the correct speeds for your card! Please visit the post to see who solved this issue, it surely wasn't me!
So if its 4 then leave it at 4? If its anything else change to 128? Is that right? Your post kind of contradicts itself which is why im asking. Thanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to njfoses For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
sd card speed