[Q] getting the mesmerize in a few days!!! adb help

Search This thread

BakedTator

Jan 8, 2011
hello xda!!! been doing alot of reading here and desided that i wanted to be part of the action...with that said...

did some reading on how to get clockworkmod on the mesmerize and have no clue how in gods name to use adb...is there a how to that could help me better understand how to use it and get this on my phone after i have it rooted...soory for the noob question but as you can see. im a noob at this. only phone i have really modded is the samsung acclaim (which btw is a weak phone but good for the noobie droid user) so any help is greatly appreciated. thanks in advance guys and i look forword to helping devs by testing and such:D

dcow90

Retired Recognized Developer
Aug 21, 2009
San Francisco
dcow.me
adb, or android debug bridge, is a tool distributed with the android sdk. In current versions of the sdk, it is located in the platform-tools folder, which only appears after you download the sdk tools after downloading the sdk zip itself.

It should be noted that usb debugging needs to be enabled on your device in order for adb to work properly. This can be turned on under: Applications > Development

To use adb, you open up a command window if on windows or a terminal emulator if on linux or mac. Type:
adb <command> [options]
Where command is any one of the commands listed when typing "adb help" and options are things like file names, paths, or other flags.

Common commands include:
pull
push
shell

pull copies a file on your device to your current working directory (or the optional specified location)
push copies a file from your computer onto the device
shell invokes a simple shell on your device allowing you work in a linux like environment on your device
There is a reboot command that is sometimes helpful but that can always be done using the power button on the device.

You will probably only use push and shell.
Examples:
adb shell
adb push update.zip /sdcard/update.zip

Hope that clairifies things a bit.

Reactions: BakedTator

BakedTator

Jan 8, 2011
yes it does sir...so with those commands i can "push" the clockworkmod onto my mesmerize and have that beautiful recovery? the only directions i found where using the adb. if there any way i can screw this up ei: mistyping or will it just say invalid command or something? and again ty for the fast response!!!

you got the thanks for that...lol...im grateful for any and all help

Last edited:

dcow90

Retired Recognized Developer
Aug 21, 2009
San Francisco
dcow.me
Typos shouldn't hurt. If it's a bad command it just won't execute. If it's a bad filename you may have to clean up a bit (like remove the file that is improperly named or in the wrong directory) but nothing fatal should happen.

Reactions: BakedTator

BakedTator

Jan 8, 2011
alright...i feel a bit more confident that i can make clockworkmod happen when i get my mesmerize and get it rooted...any other suggested mods for spped?

sageDieu

Oct 18, 2010
You should install a custom ROM, (I use Super Clean, some people prefer the pick n pack) then a theme you like from the themes and apps section, then install the voodoo lagfix kernel. Everything mentioned can be found in the Mesmerize forum.

BakedTator

Jan 8, 2011
yea i seen voodoo but wasnt quite sure what exactly it does. as far as the pick n pack or super clean...could you tell me the difference or does it say it on the page where it was posted and im just blind and didnt see it?

skitzo_inc

Dec 19, 2010
yea i seen voodoo but wasnt quite sure what exactly it does. as far as the pick n pack or super clean...could you tell me the difference or does it say it on the page where it was posted and im just blind and didnt see it?

Its obvious you didn't read the threads.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using XDA App

Sighcosis

Apr 1, 2009
Monroe
ADB is nice and all ..

But there other ways to install and do everything needed to Flash a ROM or Kernel.

How to get ADB up and running.

And a couple other great links for learning more.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=502010

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=872128

If you look in the Clockwork Mod thread here in the Mez forums there are walkthroughs on BOTH ADB method to get CWM working and sans ADB methods.

And again. Always Read.. Read again.. if all else fails.. Read once more.. And ask.. Everyone here is very informative and glad to help when we can.

I knew nothing of Android before I came here and a month later I know enough now to be dangerous.. LOL

BakedTator

Jan 8, 2011
Its obvious you didn't read the threads.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using XDA App

i did read just havnt read over it several times to see if i have missed anything...just a lil scared of adb because i have never used it before..i have an acclaim and could do everything from the swupgrade flasher for the moment and that made life easy(aint tryin to brick a 600$ phone)

to Sighcosis
thanks for the link...will read over them tonight seeing as my phone will be here no later than Wednesday and i wanna have everything downloaded and ready to roll cause the second i get this phone imma start fashing it and getting everything i want on it...again thanks for all the help guys...now more reading

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    adb, or android debug bridge, is a tool distributed with the android sdk. In current versions of the sdk, it is located in the platform-tools folder, which only appears after you download the sdk tools after downloading the sdk zip itself.

It should be noted that usb debugging needs to be enabled on your device in order for adb to work properly. This can be turned on under: Applications > Development

To use adb, you open up a command window if on windows or a terminal emulator if on linux or mac. Type:
    adb <command> [options]
    Where command is any one of the commands listed when typing "adb help" and options are things like file names, paths, or other flags.

Common commands include:
    pull
    push
    shell

pull copies a file on your device to your current working directory (or the optional specified location)
    push copies a file from your computer onto the device
    shell invokes a simple shell on your device allowing you work in a linux like environment on your device
    There is a reboot command that is sometimes helpful but that can always be done using the power button on the device.

You will probably only use push and shell.
    Examples:
    adb shell
    adb push update.zip /sdcard/update.zip

Hope that clairifies things a bit.
    Typos shouldn't hurt. If it's a bad command it just won't execute. If it's a bad filename you may have to clean up a bit (like remove the file that is improperly named or in the wrong directory) but nothing fatal should happen.