Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,180 Members 47,289 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: Which mounting option do you prefer?
TnT Stock(Internal to /sdcard, external to /sdcard2) 97 74.62%
Standard Phone Method(Internal to /emmc, external to /sdcard) 33 25.38%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

SDCARD Mounting Paradigm - Cyanogenmod7

Tip us?

rothnic
Old
(Last edited by rothnic; 21st January 2011 at 01:25 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 278
Default SDCARD Mounting Paradigm - Cyanogenmod7

There are two sdcard mounting paradigms. Currently Cyanogenmod for the tablet is set to use the one that matches phones.

1) Internal SDCARD mounted to /SDCARD, External to /SDCARD2(or equivalent)
Pros
-Internal sdcard is easily accessible

Cons
-External sdcard isn't mounted to computer over usb

2) Internal SDCARD mounted to /EMMC, External to /SDCARD
Pros
-External SDCARD is default and mounted to computer over usb
-Works well for phones with small internal storage sizes

Cons
-Your internal storage is hard to access, not mounted over usb

I took this GIT commit and rolled the changes back for CM7. I then recompiled CM7 to use the option 1 mounting paradigm.

Let me know which you prefer. I personally like option 1 because it doesn't rely on having an external sdcard. Additionally the internal sdcard is not easily removable like the external, so being able to access it over usb is important. If there are reasons for options 2, let me know.

Download:
CM7RC0 with Option 1 Mounting Paradigm(Mounting over USB works): http://www.multiupload.com/NJFGUW04A2
Gapps: http://android.d3xt3r01.tk/cyanogen/...120-signed.zip
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rothnic For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tcrews
Old
Thanks Meter 175
Very cool, I was planning to do that myself this weekend. I played with CM7 yesterday for a few minutes but with no SDCard in the "external" slot there were some limits to have useful the OS was....

I'll probably still pull the source down this weekend, but I can flash your ROM tonight and start having a more detailed look at CM7.

rcgabriel
Old
Thanks Meter 139
Hey Rothnic, nice call, I agree that the CM7 default mounting scheme is both somewhat confusing and somewhat less useful with the G Tablet.

Quick question - you packaged up those performance packs with updated drivers for TNT etc. I know this may be a dumb question, but are these the same drivers currently being used in CM7? Or are they Froyo specific and incompatible with a Gingerbread ROM build because of library dependencies or structural changes?

I'm just trying to figure out if there's some way to speed up 2d graphics stuff in CM7 without waiting for more drivers from NVidia.

rothnic
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgabriel View Post
Hey Rothnic, nice call, I agree that the CM7 default mounting scheme is both somewhat confusing and somewhat less useful with the G Tablet.

Quick question - you packaged up those performance packs with updated drivers for TNT etc. I know this may be a dumb question, but are these the same drivers currently being used in CM7? Or are they Froyo specific and incompatible with a Gingerbread ROM build because of library dependencies or structural changes?

I'm just trying to figure out if there's some way to speed up 2d graphics stuff in CM7 without waiting for more drivers from NVidia.
CM7 uses the Nvidia libraries from TnT 3588. I haven't gotten to merging in the newer "performance pack" ones that TnT doesn't include.

The libraries are Froyo specific, and were for many devices. I believe the CM team has built wrappers so that it can use the froyo specific libraries. I'm not sure on the acceleration issue.

pmcnano
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Ok I got 2 questions:

Do we have any clue how does Incredible (for example) works? It has 8gb internal plus External, they both mount on usb.

Doesnt the fact that we can mount the internal storage on the computer, etc etc, can be a reason for the corruption of partitions? (maybe unplugged before unmounting by mistake or stuff like that..). That may have happen to almost everyone, everything starts crashing, FC, etc, all because of the repartitioning. Maybe paradigm 2 its better and correct.

Another quick thing, is it possible to mount internal on /scard and external on /sdcard/sdcard2? That would make both accesible on usb mount no?

Thanks

Zippernuts
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default great work rothnic

I tried to play with cm7 last night but was getting frustrated by this issue. Thanks for doing this!!

joe75
Old
Thanks Meter 12
+1 for /SDCARD here...

thanks, rothnic

atakapa
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Thanks for the efforts. Oh, option 1until I can get my hands on a 32GB micro SD, but probably still favor /sdcard and /sdcard2 anyhow.

Also, can't wait for hardware acceleration with this Rom, best one so far.

gksmith
Old
Thanks Meter 14
I like option 1 over option 2 for the gTab. What would really be cool is an option 3.

Internal + External = virtual SDCard.
- Glenn (Still working on my super powers!)
The Following User Says Thank You to gksmith For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

proengin
Old
Thanks Meter 6
+1 for Option 1.