23rd January 2011, 11:09 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag Moscow
Thanks Meter: 20

36 posts
Donate to Me
More
Hi guys,
I was frustrated to find out that I was not able to connect my newly bought bluetooth keyboard. I could pair it within Bluetooth settings, but it always shows "Paired but not connected".
Even more frustrating is that the developers of apps which allow for a working connection to the keyboard are asking around 10 USD for the app.
I don't care about any features like shortcut keys and such. I just need a connected keyboard.
I decided to write an app which exactly does just this. For free, as it should be!

Description
-------------
A service which connects your bluetooth keyboard device.
Android 2.3 has support for HID devices but is not able to connect bluetooth keyboard devices correctly (yet).
This service automates the connection to your keyboard.
There are no extra features like key mappings a.s. (yet)

WARNING
---------------
This application needs superuser permissions!

You can find this app in Google Market. Search for "easyconnect"

BTW If anyone finds any bugs, or inability to connect a certain device, please let me know the details and I will work on a fix.

Thanx for sending logs, I fixed a number of issues:

- No longer scanning every 15 seconds. Instead it monitors connection state.
- Connection now is event driven. Device nearby will connect it.
- added notification of device connection
- Preventing Android from closing the service after a certain time.
Keep sending bug reports guys!

Compatible keyboard devices (from user comments):

- iGo Stowaway XTBT01
- CVDH-A66 Mini Bluetooth Keyboard for Smartphones, iPad, iPhone, PS3, More
- Apple Bluetooth keyboard
- Freedom i-Connex Mini
- Broadcom Keyboard Device (German keyboard with annoyingly positioned connect button which needs a toothpick to be pressed)

Latest update:
Finally got some time to work on stability.
Let me know if you have troubles getting it to work for you.
Working on keymaps ;) as well
Fixed a FC on startup after installation

Greetz,

Mike
Last edited by mikesomething98; 4th August 2011 at 08:50 AM. Reason: update
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to mikesomething98 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd January 2011, 11:23 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 3

200 posts
More
Wow this is perfect! Thanks so much!
Previously I had a shortcut to bluetooth settings on my home screen to try and connect as quick as possible, but this is 50 times better. I don't have to enter any stupid pins and make sure I press the pairing button at the right time.
I did have one little hang and lag which finished with a force close. But all good nonetheless.

I'm using a mini bluetooth keyboard with a N1 running CM6.1.1 btw which I typed this message with.
5 stars on the market

Edit: Wait, so as long as you're using this app, you dont need a ROM that supports Bluetooth HID devices? As long as your phone is rooted, anyone can use this?
If so, hats off to you.
Last edited by Forge94; 23rd January 2011 at 11:32 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Forge94 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd January 2011, 06:04 PM   |  #3  
OP Member
Flag Moscow

36 posts
Donate to Me
More
For as far as I can see anyone can use this, because in a way, the bluetooth stack is actually available for Human Interface Devices in Android starting at 2.1 update 1 if I'm correct.
23rd January 2011, 07:09 PM   |  #4  

102 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesomething98

For as far as I can see anyone can use this, because in a way, the bluetooth stack is actually available for Human Interface Devices in Android starting at 2.1 update 1 if I'm correct.

Yeah but i experienced something different. I just got my phone from a Samsung Repair center because i kinda bricked it while upgrading to froyo so i had them upgrade it. Since i was already in a mall, i decided to visit a powermac store to try out the apple bluetooth keyboard that is reported to be working with the Galaxy S froyo update. Unfortunately i was not able to detect the bluetooth keyboard, and made a fool of myself because the apple guy that was assisting me didn't believe at first that a mobile phone was able to use a bluetooth keyboard (yeah, he didn't know that the iphone 4 that they were selling was compatible with the bluetooth keyboard.. i didn't tell him though..)

so maybe this app might work.. im going to try it out when i return to that powermac store..
23rd January 2011, 08:22 PM   |  #5  
OP Member
Flag Moscow

36 posts
Donate to Me
More
The code is there, but it's not complete. It doesn't connect hid devices by itself yet. My app takes care of that. good luck trying it.

I noticed some bug already, so there will be an update very soon.

Last edited by mikesomething98; 23rd January 2011 at 08:24 PM.
23rd January 2011, 09:08 PM   |  #6  
Flag Noord-Brabant
Thanks Meter: 0

10 posts
More
I can't find this app on the marketplace when i search for easyconnect, how did you guys find it..?

Edit.,

Found it here., www appbrain.com/app/bluetooth-keyboard-easyconnect/net.mybesttools.btkbservice
Last edited by digital8; 23rd January 2011 at 09:21 PM.
24th January 2011, 02:46 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 409

4,009 posts
More
Does this with with a Sense phone too?

thanks
24th January 2011, 07:24 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 14

306 posts
Thumbs up
This is phenomenal! Thanks so much. Using with a iGo/ThinkOutside Stowaway ultra-slim keyboard and it works great. I've used BlueKeyboard, but it has a number of issues: frequent force-close errors, easily-accidentally-triggered switches into Japanese mode. This is much easier and more reliable! Thank you!
24th January 2011, 08:46 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 2

35 posts
More
Thanks its great
25th January 2011, 01:12 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 0

12 posts
Thanks! But should really be supported by default in android and without root! Hopefully google will fix this in a new version of android.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android, bluetooth, keyboard
Previous Thread Next Thread