Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,742 Members 37,532 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Search button

Tip us?

mainds
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Search button

I find the search button that takes you directly to Bing obtrusive, is there any way of de-activating it or using it for another function?

Than you

ronalgps
Old
Thanks Meter 4
do you can give us the registry key

i could like use it at people key

thank u

Jefis
Old
Thanks Meter 27
I hope in future it will be possible to deactivate button, if application doesn't support search.
Most of the times, I click it accidentally.

lzyla
Old
(Last edited by lzyla; 25th January 2011 at 05:33 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
same problem here...
hate the search key ;)
I find it super obtrusive to be honest - especially in landscape mode - 8 out of 10 IE viewing in landscape finishes by accidently pressin search and not being able to go back!
Anyone with an idea how to switch it off?

fik87
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I hate it, I hate it, I hate it!

I so wish these buttons were real hardware buttons, so that going near them wouldn't take me away from a game which takes a minute to then re-load. Grr
Samsung Omnia 7, HTC Touch Pro

Seven_PRX
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Agreed - the search key sucks. You don't search much, and you always seem to hit it by accident.

Personally would love to turn it off, or turn it to a long key-press, then at least you won't hit it accidently.

Probably some registry-settings can do this.

CreepinJesus
Old
Thanks Meter 6
I like it... I like how it's used by different applications to search just those applications (email, IMDB, etc). Yes, I sometimes press it by accident, but I can just press Back and I'm back where I was...
Blogging at its worst: CreepinJesus.net

lzyla
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreepinJesus View Post
I like it... I like how it's used by different applications to search just those applications (email, IMDB, etc). Yes, I sometimes press it by accident, but I can just press Back and I'm back where I was...
not true...
I just made my test again.
Open IE - go to a website, then press Search that redirects you to bing and when you press back - you re not on your original website but back to the menu...
search buttons sucks...

CreepinJesus
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lzyla View Post
not true...
I just made my test again.
Open IE - go to a website, then press Search that redirects you to bing and when you press back - you re not on your original website but back to the menu...
search buttons sucks...
For me it goes back to IE

Edit: unless you mean after you've actually done a search?
Blogging at its worst: CreepinJesus.net

lzyla
Old
Thanks Meter 0
that is really strange but no - I did not perform any search.
I feel it has to do smth with my location settings or some other settings that are mysterious to me.
I noticed that since playing with location settings to access the marketplace which is still not available in my country - I changed the location to UK, but IE search setting to my locale - When I press the search button I am not redirected to a nice bing search page with the fullscreen background picture but rather to bing's web address (and the displayed picture only takes 40-50% of the screen and is too small to enter anything without zooming in).
This could be the case with my problem.
Anyway - still hate the search button and would love someone to find a cure for it ;)

Tags
omnia 7, search function button, windows mobile 7