[Script][A2SD]Darktremor 2.7.5.3 Beta 04 [MT4G] (01/29/2011)

Search This thread

tkirton

Jul 13, 2009
Katy Texas
www.darktremor.info
Introducing...
Darktremor Apps2SD 2.7.5.3 Beta 04
Date of Release: January 29, 2011

Download Current Version

Instructions - Change Log - Commands - ROM List - Developer's Guide
Darktremor Apps2SD Fan Page ---- Darktremor Apps2SD Development Group

Are you installing Darktremor Apps2SD on your phone? Here are the instructions to help you: Facebook
Are you a developer wanting to include Darktremor Apps2SD in your latest ROM? Here is the Developer Guide: Facebook
Update on Beta 4
It seems I'm getting mixed results with these betas. I'm not sure why this is occurring, some people have been able to get this working right while others have had a hard time with it.

Currently, I'm rebuilding the entire program. This takes a while because I have to figure out how to pack all these options into the program but make it small enough to where it will run correctly.

I will say that some of the beta features are coming back out...one of them is the search for a partition code. I suspect that code may be leading me into issues with certain platforms, so I'm going back to the 2.7.5.2 method of mounting (mmcblk0p2 or mmcblk1p2).

Also, parts of the code will use Busybox Ash (the only code that won't will be starta2sd, which will still use Bash for the time being). The startup code will definitely use Busybox Ash.

Until then, here are the links to the the last two betas and the last official release:

Version 2.7.5.3 Beta 04 - http://www.darktremor.info/files/a2sd/dtapps2sd-2.7.5.3-beta04-signed.zip
Version 2.7.5.3 Beta 03 - http://www.darktremor.info/files/a2sd/dtapps2sd-2.7.5.3-beta03-signed.zip
Version 2.7.5.2-1 - http://www.darktremor.info/files/a2sd/dtapps2sd-2.7.5.2-1-signed.zip

And, if you want past versions, you can view the repository: ftp://dtuser:Darktremor1@ftp.darktremor.info (ignore the smiley face...that's XDA doing that.)
Beta 04 took longer than I expected to release. I have done major changes to the code:

1. New commands: convert-ext4 - This will convert your EXT3 partition into EXT4. Just a friendly reminder on this command: Not every rom supports EXT4, so it is possible to go into a boot loop if you switch roms. Use with caution.

2. Reworked convert-ext3 (convert-ext4 gets similar code)...now a flag file is set before the reboot (no conversion is done before the reboot). At load time, the conversion is performed. This takes longer in the reboot process and you may think your phone has locked up...wait about five minutes before doing anything with the phone.

3. Repair is rebuilt...now it uses existing commands to repair the setup (reinstall, remove, cachesd, cachepart, nocache, datasd, nodata). Definitely shrinks the code.

4. Added fix_permissions program to the package. This may help with Superuser issues when using the datasd feature. It is used in reinstall, remove, datasd and nodata.

5. a2sd install is back!!! Both a2sd install and a2sd reinstall do the exact same thing.

6. Dalvik heap code has been shrunk and now creates a file called dalvikheap. Actually, the code has been doing this all along (since about 2.7.5.2, I think), but I never put the code in to use the file.

7. Low Memory Killer code has also been shrunk and uses a file caled dtset_lowmem to set the low memory killer parameter.

8. Replaced Busybox PS function with Toolbox PS. The issue with Busybox PS is that it gives a false reading when I look for android.process.acore (which is the main program when the GUI starts up). If that is present, the program thinks you are trying to run Darktremor without any command line parameters. This was because Busybox would report the process was there when, in reality, it wasn't (validated this when my phone was boot looping.) Toolbox's PS reports the correct setting. This should fix the bootlooping issues some people are experiencing.

9. New commands: usedtbusybox and usedefaultbusybox - these commands may help in diagnosing issues that is may be related to the native Busybox on your rom. a2sd usedtbusybox will use the Busybox that is packaged with Darktremor. a2sd usedefaultbusybox will turn back on the scan behavior of the program introduced in Beta 03.

10. Support for Darktremor Apps2SD version 2.7 and earlier has been discontinued. To upgrade correctly from one of those versions, use version 2.7.5.3 Beta 03b or earlier.

11. Finally fixed stalled boot issues (or at least my tests with several roms says so.)

See the change log for additional details.

You will notice that if the program runs repair and finds a problem, it will correct the issue and reboot. You will see a second reboot when the dalvik-cache clears (this is to fix timing issues with CyanogenMod...I can't control that startup as well as I can other roms). This only happens if repair is ran or you flash a new rom (as repair will realign all data). If you are upgrading from a previous version of Darktremor, you should not see the reboots.
This is Darktremor Apps2SD, a multipurpose program that primarily allows a user to execute applications created for the Android OS on their Secure Digital card (with the proper setup...more on that later). But, Darktremor Apps2SD is all about stability. The goal is to be able for all users of the Android OS to be able to take advantage of a method to run their applications from a secure digital card.

But just because the Darktremor Apps2SD is all about stability, doesn't mean it isn't packed with features:

- Move applications (both free and paid) to the Secure Digital card.
- Move Dalvik Cache to run either from your Secure Digital card or from your cache partition and clears the cache on demand.
- Boot Loop Protection: prevents the phone from boot looping in the event the SD card could not be mounted.
- Dalvik JIT for faster performance on Roms which support it.
- User selectable sizes for the Dalvik heap sizes, allowing a user to freely optimize their system.
- Activate a swap partition on your SD card and sets how often the swap partition is utilized.
- Automatically fixes configuration issues.
- Users can check the free space on their SD card and check the installation to make sure all is setup correctly.
- Runs ZipAlign on demand...this makes your programs load faster.
- Built in help system for easy reference of commands.
- All features can also be reversed without repartitioning your Secure Digital card.
- New logging features assists in troubleshooting issues.
- Commands to set the Low Memory Killer feature at boot time. Great for those people who are the "set it and forget it" type.
- And more...

Darktremor Apps2SD is not the same as Froyo Apps2SD. Froyo Apps2SD creates a secure folder on the FAT32 section of your SD card (this is the section that you see when you mount your phone to your computer) and stores the programs there. This is nice as you don't have to do anything special with the phone, but it isn't backwards compatible with older versions of Android (Cupcake, Donut, Eclair) and, because of the way Froyo works, older programs not designed for Froyo will automatically stay on your internal storage (unless you install a program that forces the move to your SD card).

Darktremor Apps2SD takes a different approach. Based on the original CyanogenMod works, Darktremor Apps2SD uses symbolic linking to force Android into moving your applications to the SD card. Because Android will not allow anything to be ran from the FAT32 partition on your SD card (and, in Froyo, it will only allow you to run programs from a special folder), Darktremor utilizes filesystems called EXT2, EXT3 and EXT4. Each one of these filesystems is native to Linux (the operating system running Android), which allows you to run programs from them (same as, say, a computer running Ubuntu). This method is completely compatible with all versions of Android, including Froyo. In fact, you can run both the Darktremor Apps2SD and Froyo Apps2SD at the same time.

Check out the list of Roms that either have Darktremor Apps2SD installed or are compatible with Darktremor Apps2SD. Click on the link labeled ROM List at the top of this message.

Last edited:

stoneyjonez

May 16, 2010
Is there really any need for this if we have froyo? If so please fill me in, I just don't see the point.

Sent from my HTC Glacier

stoneyjonez

May 16, 2010
Even if there are some advantages, has anyone actually filled their internal storage on the mt4g already? Hell, to be honest I don't even see the need for froyo's apps2sd. I've installed every app I could possibly find a use for (on internal storage) and still have over 500MB free.

Sent from my HTC Glacier

Reactions: victorythagr8

tkirton

Jul 13, 2009
Katy Texas
www.darktremor.info
Actually, there is. The dalvik-cache doesn't move to your FAT32 partition, so you will still eat up storage space with it.

Also, this program offers other features, such as Low Memory Killer tweaking and heap size adjustments.

Some people also reported that the apps run faster when they are placed on an EXT partition rather than using Froyo's FAT32 implemetation. Personally, I haven't really benchmarked it, so I can't tell you from personal experience if it is faster or not.

I guess it's a personal preference.

Is there really any need for this if we have froyo? If so please fill me in, I just don't see the point.

Sent from my HTC Glacier

tkirton

Jul 13, 2009
Katy Texas
www.darktremor.info
That may be true right now, but apps are getting bigger in the Android market. I know for other phones, it can be a necessity.

As I said in the previous post...it's more of a preference.

Even if there are some advantages, has anyone actually filled their internal storage on the mt4g already? Hell, to be honest I don't even see the need for froyo's apps2sd. I've installed every app I could possibly find a use for (on internal storage) and still have over 500MB free.

Sent from my HTC Glacier

tkirton

Jul 13, 2009
Katy Texas
www.darktremor.info
Depends on who built it.

I have users that say this works perfectly with CM7. During my testing using CM7, I didn't get it to work because the build I had didn't have EXT support (which is needed for Darktremor to work).

So, I would say do a backup of your phone and try it. If you can't get it working, you are more than welcome to send me the logs at rtkirton@gmail.com and I'll see what happened (logs are located on /data directory: files are dta2sd.log, dta2sd.lg1, dta2sd.lg2)

May I ask if this App2SD working in CM7 nightly ? Thanks to advise .

ajaxchen

Jan 24, 2009
Thanks for your promptly reply ; I will give it a try later . But i am wondering if it's a issue that CWM recovery 3.0.0.5 can not find my EXT partition (I had created my 1GB EXT3 with CWM recovery already) ?

tkirton

Jul 13, 2009
Katy Texas
www.darktremor.info
That could be an issue. I'm not familiar with that recovery, but if it has a repair function, you should try to run it.

If you don't have that option or the repair was unsuccessful, I would offload the contents of your FAT32 partition on a computer and repartition the card.

Thanks for your promptly reply ; I will give it a try later . But i am wondering if it's a issue that CWM recovery 3.0.0.5 can not find my EXT partition (I had created my 1GB EXT3 with CWM recovery already) ?

K

Killbynature

This would be way easier with amon RA recovery. I remember having it on my g1 and never had problems with it. Clockwork is good but making partitions and ext 3 and 4 is simple from the phone.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using XDA App

agriff

Oct 23, 2009
Dallas
Is it possible to put the commands into an .apk, just to make it less intimidating and easier to use for some of us? I have no developer skills or I'd try.

victorythagr8

Nov 12, 2009

Sent from my HTC Glacier

Well there are people who like games and seeing that some of the games in marketplace are 80mb each and some even reach over 100. I filled my 500mb internal storage because i like to game on my phone.

tkirton

Jul 13, 2009
Katy Texas
www.darktremor.info
It's in the planning stages. The goal is to build an interface so an average user can interact with it. Sadly, I'm not very good at Java yet and I haven't found a programmer to assist me in this quest. But it's still being planned and will happen eventually.

Is it possible to put the commands into an .apk, just to make it less intimidating and easier to use for some of us? I have no developer skills or I'd try.

MuF123

Jul 18, 2009
is the performance changed when the cache isn't in the phone? How much is the card speed (class) important?

tkirton

Jul 13, 2009
Katy Texas
www.darktremor.info
Card speed is important when writing. For dalvik-cache and apps, not that much. For moving /data/data to the SD card, it may make a difference.

Read speed is dependent on the quality of the card you are using.

As for performance, I only notice the speed difference when things like dalvik-cache is getting rebuilt. Normal operation...I don't notice the difference.

is the performance changed when the cache isn't in the phone? How much is the card speed (class) important?

tarun79

Feb 17, 2006
tried working on desire hd stock rom but its not working gets installed successfully but a2sd commands dont work!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Introducing...
    Darktremor Apps2SD 2.7.5.3 Beta 04
    Date of Release: January 29, 2011

Download Current Version

Instructions - Change Log - Commands - ROM List - Developer's Guide
    Darktremor Apps2SD Fan Page ---- Darktremor Apps2SD Development Group

Are you installing Darktremor Apps2SD on your phone? Here are the instructions to help you: Facebook
    Are you a developer wanting to include Darktremor Apps2SD in your latest ROM? Here is the Developer Guide: Facebook
    Update on Beta 4
    It seems I'm getting mixed results with these betas. I'm not sure why this is occurring, some people have been able to get this working right while others have had a hard time with it.

Currently, I'm rebuilding the entire program. This takes a while because I have to figure out how to pack all these options into the program but make it small enough to where it will run correctly.

I will say that some of the beta features are coming back out...one of them is the search for a partition code. I suspect that code may be leading me into issues with certain platforms, so I'm going back to the 2.7.5.2 method of mounting (mmcblk0p2 or mmcblk1p2).

Also, parts of the code will use Busybox Ash (the only code that won't will be starta2sd, which will still use Bash for the time being). The startup code will definitely use Busybox Ash.

Until then, here are the links to the the last two betas and the last official release:

Version 2.7.5.3 Beta 04 - http://www.darktremor.info/files/a2sd/dtapps2sd-2.7.5.3-beta04-signed.zip
    Version 2.7.5.3 Beta 03 - http://www.darktremor.info/files/a2sd/dtapps2sd-2.7.5.3-beta03-signed.zip
    Version 2.7.5.2-1 - http://www.darktremor.info/files/a2sd/dtapps2sd-2.7.5.2-1-signed.zip

And, if you want past versions, you can view the repository: ftp://dtuser:Darktremor1@ftp.darktremor.info (ignore the smiley face...that's XDA doing that.)
    Beta 04 took longer than I expected to release. I have done major changes to the code:

1. New commands: convert-ext4 - This will convert your EXT3 partition into EXT4. Just a friendly reminder on this command: Not every rom supports EXT4, so it is possible to go into a boot loop if you switch roms. Use with caution.

2. Reworked convert-ext3 (convert-ext4 gets similar code)...now a flag file is set before the reboot (no conversion is done before the reboot). At load time, the conversion is performed. This takes longer in the reboot process and you may think your phone has locked up...wait about five minutes before doing anything with the phone.

3. Repair is rebuilt...now it uses existing commands to repair the setup (reinstall, remove, cachesd, cachepart, nocache, datasd, nodata). Definitely shrinks the code.

4. Added fix_permissions program to the package. This may help with Superuser issues when using the datasd feature. It is used in reinstall, remove, datasd and nodata.

5. a2sd install is back!!! Both a2sd install and a2sd reinstall do the exact same thing.

6. Dalvik heap code has been shrunk and now creates a file called dalvikheap. Actually, the code has been doing this all along (since about 2.7.5.2, I think), but I never put the code in to use the file.

7. Low Memory Killer code has also been shrunk and uses a file caled dtset_lowmem to set the low memory killer parameter.

8. Replaced Busybox PS function with Toolbox PS. The issue with Busybox PS is that it gives a false reading when I look for android.process.acore (which is the main program when the GUI starts up). If that is present, the program thinks you are trying to run Darktremor without any command line parameters. This was because Busybox would report the process was there when, in reality, it wasn't (validated this when my phone was boot looping.) Toolbox's PS reports the correct setting. This should fix the bootlooping issues some people are experiencing.

9. New commands: usedtbusybox and usedefaultbusybox - these commands may help in diagnosing issues that is may be related to the native Busybox on your rom. a2sd usedtbusybox will use the Busybox that is packaged with Darktremor. a2sd usedefaultbusybox will turn back on the scan behavior of the program introduced in Beta 03.

10. Support for Darktremor Apps2SD version 2.7 and earlier has been discontinued. To upgrade correctly from one of those versions, use version 2.7.5.3 Beta 03b or earlier.

11. Finally fixed stalled boot issues (or at least my tests with several roms says so.)

See the change log for additional details.

You will notice that if the program runs repair and finds a problem, it will correct the issue and reboot. You will see a second reboot when the dalvik-cache clears (this is to fix timing issues with CyanogenMod...I can't control that startup as well as I can other roms). This only happens if repair is ran or you flash a new rom (as repair will realign all data). If you are upgrading from a previous version of Darktremor, you should not see the reboots.
    This is Darktremor Apps2SD, a multipurpose program that primarily allows a user to execute applications created for the Android OS on their Secure Digital card (with the proper setup...more on that later). But, Darktremor Apps2SD is all about stability. The goal is to be able for all users of the Android OS to be able to take advantage of a method to run their applications from a secure digital card.

But just because the Darktremor Apps2SD is all about stability, doesn't mean it isn't packed with features:

- Move applications (both free and paid) to the Secure Digital card.
    - Move Dalvik Cache to run either from your Secure Digital card or from your cache partition and clears the cache on demand.
    - Boot Loop Protection: prevents the phone from boot looping in the event the SD card could not be mounted.
    - Dalvik JIT for faster performance on Roms which support it.
    - User selectable sizes for the Dalvik heap sizes, allowing a user to freely optimize their system.
    - Activate a swap partition on your SD card and sets how often the swap partition is utilized.
    - Automatically fixes configuration issues.
    - Users can check the free space on their SD card and check the installation to make sure all is setup correctly.
    - Runs ZipAlign on demand...this makes your programs load faster.
    - Built in help system for easy reference of commands.
    - All features can also be reversed without repartitioning your Secure Digital card.
    - New logging features assists in troubleshooting issues.
    - Commands to set the Low Memory Killer feature at boot time. Great for those people who are the "set it and forget it" type.
    - And more...

Darktremor Apps2SD is not the same as Froyo Apps2SD. Froyo Apps2SD creates a secure folder on the FAT32 section of your SD card (this is the section that you see when you mount your phone to your computer) and stores the programs there. This is nice as you don't have to do anything special with the phone, but it isn't backwards compatible with older versions of Android (Cupcake, Donut, Eclair) and, because of the way Froyo works, older programs not designed for Froyo will automatically stay on your internal storage (unless you install a program that forces the move to your SD card).

Darktremor Apps2SD takes a different approach. Based on the original CyanogenMod works, Darktremor Apps2SD uses symbolic linking to force Android into moving your applications to the SD card. Because Android will not allow anything to be ran from the FAT32 partition on your SD card (and, in Froyo, it will only allow you to run programs from a special folder), Darktremor utilizes filesystems called EXT2, EXT3 and EXT4. Each one of these filesystems is native to Linux (the operating system running Android), which allows you to run programs from them (same as, say, a computer running Ubuntu). This method is completely compatible with all versions of Android, including Froyo. In fact, you can run both the Darktremor Apps2SD and Froyo Apps2SD at the same time.

Check out the list of Roms that either have Darktremor Apps2SD installed or are compatible with Darktremor Apps2SD. Click on the link labeled ROM List at the top of this message.

*cough* TROLL *cough*

But in case you were serious, there is a need for it.
    A). Some phones are quite limited on the amount of space they have. Apps are getting bigger and bigger (3D games, Flash, video chat, etc). Phones are now coming with multiple gigs available for /data, so if you have a phone with only 256mb available, you'll feel the pinch very quickly.

B). Froyo's version of apps2sd relies on the developer to allow an app to be moved, and even then, the entire app DOESN'T move - only the parts that they allow to move. So even on the SD card, an app might still take up 10s of megs. Google Earth, for example, barely moves off the internal memory at all.

C). Froyo's version of apps2sd doesn't allow you to move home apps, livewallpaper, or ANYTHING that has a widget (which is a lot of apps). Rebooting will cause widgets to disappear.

Sent from my HTC Glacier
    To the people who don't think there is a need for this, quite simply, don't use it.

It's a tool. Not everyone has a need for all tools. Please just leave it at that.

I and many others, on the other hand, do. I have a Desire and pretty much the prime reason for me rooting was a lack of internal space. So thanks tkirton for trying. Even if I can't use it at the moment! lol

I did a clean install of CM 6.1.1, then Gapps, then Darktremor beta 03, .... and I don't think it worked. In addition, I'm not sure what I would have seen to know that it worked.

I also when into the Terminal Emulator and tried "app2sd cachesd" and I got a whole load of "permission denied" after every command line that popped up.

Is it just not working with Desire (I notice a Desire HD user with a problem) or am I just doing something dim? I'm prepared if it's the latter. I can take it! :)
    Has anyone gotten this to work on the glacier? Clockwork won't mount the ext 4 and I can't get a2sd to install

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

It works for me. Mount system and data in recovery before you flash.

better put some water on that ****!