Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,111 Members 48,138 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

HTC EVO 4G won't boot, can't go into recovery mode, still able to access fastboot

Tip us?

dizzle247
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default HTC EVO 4G won't boot, can't go into recovery mode, still able to access fastboot

I was running calkulin's rom on my evo but I decided to give cyanogen a run for its money. I was successful in installing cyanogen 6.1, and when i went to go install the addons, they didn't install properly for whatever reason. I went back into recovery mode and did a wipe of the device and went to install a fresh install of culkulin .. but instead of selecting the item "install zip from sd card" i selected "install update.zip" even though I didn't have an update.zip on my device.

After it tried to do that, it asked me if i wanted to reboot, i selected yes, and now i can't get into recovery mode. I can get into fastboot, but when i try and select recovery, it goes to the white HTC EVO 4G screen, then it goes to the screen with the phone, a red triangle with the exclamation point. If i press vol up + power, it brings up the menu to install from update.zip, wipe cache, wipe data, and reboot. I've selected all the options, i'm LOST.

i'm on a 2010 macbook pro .. I have windows 7 installed via VMware but it doesn't want to recognize my phone.

I was able to install adb on my mac, but it still can't recognize the phone. Any help is much appreciated, i don't want a $300 paper weight. Thanks!

chuckhriczko
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 41

DONATE TO ME
Somehow your recovery might have been overwritten. Download a recovery image, go into fastboot and run the following command:

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

Where recovery.img equals the filename of the recovery image.

triscuit1983
Old
Thanks Meter 288

DONATE TO ME
Amon_RA has a PC36IMG.zip of his recovery so you don't have to use command prompt at all, just go to bootloader and flash.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=705026
If I've helped you, please hit thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to triscuit1983 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dizzle247
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
i don't have a way to access the commands via terminal or dos to my phone. my computer can't recognize my device .. i'd prefer to do this via OSX because W7 via vmware isn't stable on my machine.

where can i download a custom image .. i may be able to run it via unrevoked, but when i run unrevoked, it gives me the error Device "- exec'/system/bin/sh' failed: No such file or directory (2) -" is not supported at this time.

sshark
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Sounds like recovery is corrupted, download pc36000.img fkr amon_ra 2.2.1, put it into your root folder of sd card and give it go from fastboot.

I am typing name of recovery from my memory, so it can be wrong.

I read other posts about typing fastboot recovery installation commands, but you have said your adb is not working, so give this a try.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

thefredelement
Old
Thanks Meter 57
I'm not sure how to get adb running on the mac but it should be fairly easy. I'd read up on getting your phone connected with adb/fastboot then get the custom recovery img file.

Then you'll do:

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

(I'm not sure if amon has a readily available image file but you can get the img file for clockworkmod for the evo here: http://www.koushikdutta.com/2010/02/...ery-image.html

Just click the evo link, copy it to your fastboot folder and rename it to recovery.img just to make it easier.

Edit, if you have an sdcard apater (or maybe put the card in a digital camera or something so you can access it) you can put this PC36IMG.zip file on it: http://www.mediafire.com/file/s3vsgf...hs/PC36IMG.zip

then boot your phone with boot loader, it'll scan the file and hit volume up to apply the update.

dallastx
Old
Thanks Meter 97
Had issue yesterday, my phone would boot directly to fastboot. My issue was a corrupted SD card. I bought a new one and it did the same thing but was able to reformat and it works! Never had this issue until i start pushing dalvich cache to SD. Anyhow check your SD card, try another on see if you can boot a zip from fast boot.

dizzle247
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
i tried that and it works perfectly! I was able to get a custom rom loaded onto my device and boot up, then i re-ran unrevoked so i could get that custom recovery so i could reload one of my past back ups.

Worked like a charm!

triscuit1983
Old
Thanks Meter 288

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzle247 View Post
i tried that and it works perfectly! I was able to get a custom rom loaded onto my device and boot up, then i re-ran unrevoked so i could get that custom recovery so i could reload one of my past back ups.

Worked like a charm!
Glad to hear. Disaster averted
If I've helped you, please hit thanks!

1smoothcat
Old
(Last edited by 1smoothcat; 8th February 2011 at 02:00 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzle247 View Post

Worked like a charm!
He never said what worked. I am having the same issue and would like to know what worked.

Im actually stuck on the htc evo screen. I can access fastboot as well. Where do i go from there.