Newbie has a some questons about the dell venue pro

Search This thread

peterrenhome

Oct 25, 2010
Dear Sirs

I currently have the htc hd7. I still have 14 days to return to tmobile. I have thought about returning it and buy the dell venue pro. I love the keyboard on it, gorilla glass, amoled display from what I have seen on the web. I just had some questions for those that have the phone. Number one what is the sound quality on it if watching videos or playing music? What is the sound quality of the headphones? Something I do like about the htc hd7 phone it had a sound utility for the phone. You could adjust different settings for the headphones. What is the insurance like for the dell venue pro? Do they cover damage, stole phones or even a phone left somewhere? I do think it does have 512 memory it is just reporting it wrong because everywhere I have read it is faster than the htc hd7. Thank you for your answers.

ZappiestOyster

Dec 23, 2010
1) The speaker(s) on the DVP are comparable to EVO 4G. Meaning, they're very good. I have never seen an HD7 in action, so can't make that comparison.

2) The headphones have a hissing/white noise when they're initially plugged in. I made a post on this (search hissing), and some other members confirmed that this is, in fact, the case for most phones. There are no settings that I know of for sound in general.

3) I bought insurance from SquareTrade. I think it cost me like 90 bucks. There is a $50 deductible. This is way, way better than the crap the carriers sell. I believe it covers everything you mentioned. Check their Website for details

4) Ultimately, if you have a Microsoft store near your area, call them and see if they have a device on demo. If they do, walk in and make the comparison yourself.

I am pretty happy with the device. For all the bickering that has gone on about this device, one thing's for sure... Dell will work with you (despite their long call times) to exchange the device multiple times, to ensure your happiness. It is rumored that they have an update in the works, so if you're the patient type, I'd recommend the device.

pjfan75

Nov 16, 2010
Dear Sirs

I currently have the htc hd7. I still have 14 days to return to tmobile. I have thought about returning it and buy the dell venue pro. I love the keyboard on it, gorilla glass, amoled display from what I have seen on the web. I just had some questions for those that have the phone. Number one what is the sound quality on it if watching videos or playing music? What is the sound quality of the headphones? Something I do like about the htc hd7 phone it had a sound utility for the phone. You could adjust different settings for the headphones. What is the insurance like for the dell venue pro? Do they cover damage, stole phones or even a phone left somewhere? I do think it does have 512 memory it is just reporting it wrong because everywhere I have read it is faster than the htc hd7. Thank you for your answers.

I have had both the HD7 and DVP. If you care about sound quality most, stick with the HD7. The DVP sound quality is pretty good, but it has some background noise/hissing that you can hear over quiet music, particularly if you use IEMs rather than traditional headphones. There is no app to adjust EQ on the DVP either.

Personally I kept the DVP because I don't use it for music much. The AMOLED screen and keyboard were more important to me.

fathamburger

There is no contest between the two as far as my own experience goes. The DVP wins hands down in all areas (except for maybe camera? which may be fixed soon), the HTC screen is passable but imo WP7 was meant to be experienced on AMOLED and up.

If possible, buy it from a Microsoft store and not from Dell. That way you get it unlocked as well.

pjfan75

Nov 16, 2010
The initial batch was supposed to be unlocked, was this wrong? or is this now the status quo?

There was some talk that the launch (11/8/2010) devices at the Microsoft store were unlocked. The vast majority of those didn't work on secure WiFi though. The replacements that we (eventually) received towards the end of December at the Microsoft Store are the same as those purchased direct from Dell and are locked to T-Mobile.