5,606,722 Members 37,545 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE]Changing System Icons + MISC MODS

Tip us?

irteza_h
Old
(Last edited by irteza_h; 13th September 2011 at 11:31 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Default [GUIDE]Changing System Icons + MISC MODS

All mods are at the bottom of this post.

Here is a simple way to change system icons on your application drawer. I was looking for a guide to do this but I couldn't find any so I gave it a try and it worked. So I decided to post the method here for like minded people who wanted to change the system icons in their app drawer and not only on the homescreen.
I will show an example of changing the contacts icon. To change the icons of some other app you just have to pull the relevant apk. I know this looks long and tiresome but bear with me and the results will amaze you. After a few times it becomes really easyYou have to be rooted to do this

A couple of things to note
a. You can change icons in framework-res.apk, SystemUI.apk or any other apk this way too.
b. Please note that the icons you replace should be of the same dimensions.
c. The specific icons name inside the drawable_hdpi might change. Sometimes its icon.png. Sometimes its ic_launcher_XYZ. Just use your head and replace the correct png.
d. The files are located either in system/app or data/app depending on whether its a system file or a data file. System files have to be pushed. Data files have to be installed.

Changing Icons works for all ROMS

1. Download android-sdk from here http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html
2. Install all libraries.
3. Install jdk from here http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/ja...ads/index.html
Make sure you download jdk and not just jre.

4. Download apk manager from here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=695701
5. extract apk manager inside platform-tools inside android-sdk folder. Should be something like this
C:/Android-sdk/windows/platform-tools/("extract apk manager here")

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
6. Open cmd
7. Navigate to the platform-tools folder. (Simple DOS commands)
8. Do "adb pull /system/app/HtcContacts.apk" (-Do this without the quotes. If you want to change the icon for, lets say the camera, then instead of HtcContacts.apk, type HTCCamera.apk. To see all the system files just navigate to system/app on your phone using es file explorer or root explorer or any other file explorer you fancy. You can see all the system apks and you can pull anyone you want)

9. Ok so now the HtcContacts.apk should be in the platform-tools folder. Paste it into the folder "place apk here for modding".

10. Start script.bat (apk manager) from the platform-tools folder.
11. Choose option 22 to select a project
12. Choose the number of the project. In this case it would be 1.
13. Choose one again on the next screen. This will extract the apk to the projects folder.
14. Now get to the folder res/drawable-hdpi/ on your windows explorer.
15. Replace people.png with the icon of your choice. Please remember that your new icon has to be of 72x72 dimension and should have the same name. You can also replace other pngs like dialer and stuff.

(Next step is only for system files)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

16. Select option 3 on the apk manager cmd
17. Now select 8. This is a system apk and so we have to retain the system signature.
18. Enter the full path of the file ( system/app/HtcContacts.apk)

Follow these steps for data files
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
19. Select 7.
20. Wait for install.

Here are my mods. Please note that I have not made these icons and tweaks. I have just put them all together in one place. If you want to give any credit then please follow the developers.

These are designed for sense based Roms. Please DO NOT try with any other rom. Just download and push to system/framework/framework-res.apk. Please note : This is for the older sense (sense 2.0) Do not try with newer sense.

To get transparency you have to use this file -- Transparency Hack -- through metamorph. I will make this into a flashable zip once I understand how to do that.

App icons are from Tenuis theme - Images

My framework-res
Screenshot - http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/9...0125163003.png
Download

System Icons Zip
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18171691/Mms.apk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to irteza_h For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Marcdu81
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Hello,i just use Bettercut.apk available from market .

irteza_h
Old
(Last edited by irteza_h; 24th January 2011 at 07:52 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcdu81 View Post
Hello,i just use Bettercut.apk available from market .
Hi I dont use bettercut but does it let you change the system icons in the app drawer. you know the drawer that comes up when you press the menu on the launcher???

Edit: OK i just tried bettercut. Using this you cannot change system icons in the app drawer. You are only changing icons on the homescreen, basically shortcuts. You could do that with launcherpro, desktop visualizer and 10 other apps.

irteza_h
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Default CREDITS

CREDITS

MultiCulti for giving me the idea to get the services.jar for transparency
Icons from MIUI framework
Icons from Gingerbread aosp ROM
sopL87 for his guide
he_stheone64 for his awesome transparency hack

Ps. tell me if I have forgotten to credit anyone and I will add your name here. Thanks to all of the above for inspiring and helping.

nick w
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Good work

Check this out too:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=10157000

Simple Java app to edit .apk files with a nice GUI
The Following User Says Thank You to nick w For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

creative59
Old
Thanks Meter 0
You're Just Awesome THNX man !

stankostanko
Old
Thanks Meter 301
Nice guide

VampireRollen
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Ninjamorph lets you edit and change out images within apk files right on your phone. Its a free app on the market.

Still a very nice guide though!

irteza_h
Old
(Last edited by irteza_h; 26th January 2011 at 05:02 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
thanks .. i was just looking to put up something which you could use to edit any apk on your phone .. the thing with ninjamorph is that it wasn't working for me. And plus I prefer to do it this way. Gives me more area.

EDIT: Anyone wants to see an MIUI framework on your sense?? I am thinking about getting the exact MIUI framework over to our sense based ROMs. As you can see in my framework I have already copied some of the elements. I am thinking about getting the power toggles and removing the current apps from the notification pulldown.

happy_:-)
Old
Thanks Meter 6

DONATE TO ME
hi could u help me to change the battery icon plzzzz
i know about kitchen. any thing else i have some pic of a battery icon but dont know how to make one..... htc desire hd rom runny 3.37