Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,105 Members 52,017 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Porting Atrix Web top app

Tip us?

bmxmike
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default Porting Atrix Web top app

So as far as I can tell right now the only major difference in the Atrix and Bionic is the ram. Also looking at the dock connectors the only thing it looks like it uses is HDMI port and USB port on the phone. I know it's early on and it's most likely going to be one of the most sought after things right now, but what do you guys think of the possibility of porting the webtop app over to the Bionic? Also how important do you think the ram difference is in relation to running Webtop?

From what I read the webtop app is suppose to run all the time so that you can remove and replace in the dock with no requirements to start it so its in a constant on suspended state. Which leads me to think if it's possible to port the app if we can open the app on command could possibly lead to better results with the limited ram, if the ram cause a problem with running the app.

Just looking for other opinions on the matter as I plan on looking into the workings of it and see if it's like the Garmin app that people have been trying to port over for awhile that has come to be yet.

ocdtrekkie
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Isn't the webtop a bit more than just an Android app? I imagine it'd be fairly difficult to port. And I'm assuming a Bionic won't fit in the laptop accessory, so that might cause additional challenge... actually using it. Have to mod the accessory's shape, or connect if via a cord.

luigi90210
Old
Thanks Meter 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocdtrekkie View Post
Isn't the webtop a bit more than just an Android app? I imagine it'd be fairly difficult to port. And I'm assuming a Bionic won't fit in the laptop accessory, so that might cause additional challenge... actually using it. Have to mod the accessory's shape, or connect if via a cord.
well from the pics that i have seen the droidx should fit in the atrix dock so if the webtop app can be ported i can see it going to the X

roteplex
Old
Thanks Meter 0
The webtopp app is suppose to be (atleast according to Moto reps during CES) a cloud computing environment from Motorola so porting it will not be possible.

v5HMeca
Old
Thanks Meter 141

DONATE TO ME
...Sanjay Jha has just told investors at a Morgan Stanley shindig that the Atrix won't be unique for long -- the Webtop app will be making an appearance on all of Moto's "high performance" smartphones in the second half of this year...

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/28/m...btop-from-jun/

Beesoc
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Unhappy Hardware is CLOSE to fitting

Not just a matter of porting the APK. I have an X, Atrix and the laptop dock. The plugs look the same and I almost forced them in before looking closely and the USB and HDMI ports are flipped around on the Atrix and dock.

I sure had my hopes up for a few mins though!

-Beesoc

modal realism
Old
Thanks Meter 2
This is old info in this thread and so I'd thought I'd update it.

Motorola's CEO has already stated the webtop will be available for the Bionic sometime after it ships.

The webtop 'app' isn't so much an app but more of a suite of apps. It actually is a lite version of Ubuntu (I think 8.04) running as a guest OS simultaneously with Android. The apks that exist for webtop exist solely to provide an 'android experience' to the guest OS. There is a monitor app that watches the ports to detect when it is plugged into a webtop-enabled dock. There is a content provider app that provides an interface to various data on the Android OS (like contacts, emails, calendar, etc). And there is a portal app that (I think) projects the webtop OS display to HDMI.

The OS can be accessed on the phone by installing a vncserver in the ubuntu OS and using a client on the phone or on a networked device.

It won't be hard to port. The APKs handling the guest OS have already been hacked to remove the dock requirement for activating it.