Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,629 Members 41,520 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] /EFS folder empty?

Tip us?

rangercaptain
Old
Thanks Meter 1659
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiroshik View Post
I own a SIM locked Tab from Bell Canada and I'm working on unlock the SIM lock. I just used Z4root get the root privilege and was about to use RootExplorer to backup the /EFS folder to a microSD card. But the RootExplorer didn't show any file under the /EFS folder.
He already has root and installed Root Explorer.

I think you should put in another carrier's sim card and verify lock/unlock.

Cromed makes a good point. Is Superuser installed? And have you installed the latest busybox from the market?

hiroshik
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I put in Rogers SIM card, the tab asked me for unlock code after bootup. I dismissed it and then the tab only allowed me dial emergency numbers.

I switched back to Bell SIM and using z4root to unroot and then rooted again. The root explorer still couldn't find any file under the efs folder.

P.S. I have installed both superuser and busybox from the market.

hiroshik
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Captain, do you think it is possible that the retailer deleted the nv_data.bin file? It was quite suspicious that he mentioned of "official unlock service is available for $60". Assume they delete such file makes us no way to unlock the tab but pay for an "official service"...

And the tab comes with firmware with phone function which is supposed not available on Bell tab? Is P1000XXJID an euro firmware?

rangercaptain
Old
Thanks Meter 1659
I'm sure that's what happened. I saw somewhere Roto sent someone a blank file for them to edit. Maybe search the forum. Have you flashed any rom yet? I deleted my efs folder contents and now files are in there.
The Following User Says Thank You to rangercaptain For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hiroshik
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Captain, I have NOT personally flashed any rom. Maybe i should re-flash the tab. Anyway, thanks for your help.

rangercaptain
Old
Thanks Meter 1659
I just backed up my efs folder, then flashed Roto JMG, the full install, which wipes your sd card, and the efs folder had all the usual files and folders.

I would flash, because you don't need to be unlocked to do that.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using XDA App

Tony_M
Old
Thanks Meter 11
The files only show up when you use a file manager with root access enabled. I had to download Super Manager (free) and give it root access in its settings and then I could see them.

rangercaptain
Old
Thanks Meter 1659
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiroshik View Post
I just used Z4root get the root privilege and was about to use RootExplorer to backup the /EFS folder to a microSD card. But the RootExplorer didn't show any file under the /EFS folder. I rebooted and checked again, still nothing...
From the op.