Sony Updates AOSP Sources to Android 5.0.1

Just a few days ago, Sony did an utterly fantastic job by pushing out numerous device trees for … more

Stop Your Screen From Turning Off with KeepItOn

We all know the feeling of reading a news article orrather longdocument, when our screen … more

The XDA LG QPair Developer Challenge Voting Has Begun!

It seems like it was just yesterday that weannounced that we had paired up with LGto … more

Major Update for the Sony Smartwatch 2 Brings DND and More

With the wearables landscape now dominated by Android Wear and Pebble, its … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
View Poll Results: Does it work on your phone ?
Yes 18 64.29%
Nope 10 35.71%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

[APP] Media Volume Settings -[R]- 21/01/2011 -[U] 26/02/2011 -[V]- 1.4.0.0

OP andycted

25th January 2011, 02:42 PM   |  #1  
OP Retired Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 25

1,304 posts
Name: Media Volume Settings

Marketplace description:
Have you ever noticed that after opening some application or game, the volume for media playback (from zune for example) is higher or lower ? Or that some games have the volume too high ?

This application allows to fine tune that internal background media volume, separately from the main device volume. It can also be useful when an application or game has background music too loud or too soft.

Please note it DOESN'T work while connected to Zune, which restores volume to 100%. Also note it can't control in-call, device or notifications volume nor can keep the settings after a reboot due to WP7 features/limitations, about which I can't do anything.

Trial is ad-supported

Updated in 1.4:
- customizable presets
- better compatibility through the Dispatcher (should help ?)
- better interface, up/down buttons
__

Please remember that you can't update a trial application in the marketplace at the moment. You have to uninstall and reinstall it.

Notes:
I've noticed many application that can alter background/zune music volume (Bowling xx is one) and also some others that had their internal volume too high, so that even at volume 1/30 it was annoying at night (Krashlander is one). Some of them are now allowing internal volume regulation in later updates. This application solves both problems. I'm also looking into adding live tile (with volume value), not sure about the possibility of it...
Available in English,Italian and German .

before reporting it doesn't work, please note:

- it doesn't allow to make general volume higher
- media volume is used by most application and zune to control background music and sometimes sounds too (so you can fine tune with this)
- there are applications that modify this volume at start. There are many of these that don't set it back when they exits (and that's one of the main uses of the application)
- at boot, you always have 100% media volume
- when connecting to zune or synching wirelessly, it resets media volume to 100%
- while connected to zune, you can't alter volume
- it can't control in-call, notifications, alerts, ringtones, or door bell volume. I'm looking into controlling your dog bark, though

Source: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=10881451

Zune Marketplace Link: http://social.zune.net/External/Laun...c-00237de2db9e

Please, anybody voting in the poll above, leave a comment with your phone model (and if it works). Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mediaSettings_screenshot.jpg
Views:	1792
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	499421  
Last edited by andycted; 26th February 2011 at 03:14 PM. Reason: new update, added presets and dispatcher
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to andycted For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th January 2011, 06:03 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 0

6 posts
Thank you !
That was my problem exactly, I had to restart my phone each time some application modified the volume especially when I wanted to use Zune and the music came out quite low. In fact I thought something was wrong with the speaker...

I’ve actually even used it with a game which had very loud background music.
28th January 2011, 01:35 PM   |  #3  

1,304 posts
Thanks, I'm going to release a free, ad-supported version in some days.
1st February 2011, 04:35 PM   |  #4  

1,304 posts
Trial updated to ad-support
The application has been updated with ad-supported, unrestricted use, trial version. Buying removes the ads. Please remember that you can't update a trial version in the marketplace at the time, you have to uninstall and reinstall it.

I've also found out that comparing two omnia7, both coming from germany, that one is quite louder than the other, even on max volume (both media and main device volumes at 100%). I've also checked the device gain in through diagnosis codes and they are the same. However I'd say the quiter one is already loud enough.

Or maybe that's to point on the fact that the louder one has been debranded by flashing a new rom ? (warranty repair, came broken from an extremely rude german internet shop which refused to replace it ! If you are going to buy one in Germany I can pm his name, so you can avoid what I've been through)
The Following User Says Thank You to andycted For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd February 2011, 09:49 PM   |  #5  
Retired Recognized Developer
Flag Corona, CA
Thanks Meter: 109

1,014 posts
More
You should add all the different volumes settings to it... like system volume, notification volume, etc. Then it could be a one stop place to change volume for all aspects of the device.
3rd February 2011, 10:56 AM   |  #6  

1,304 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesecondsfade

You should add all the different volumes settings to it... like system volume, notification volume, etc. Then it could be a one stop place to change volume for all aspects of the device.

To the best of my knowledge, the wp7 toolkit doesn't allow you to manipulate device (system) volume. There is also no separate notification volume in windows phones, it uses the same as ringer/device volume.
3rd February 2011, 11:27 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 7

14 posts
Thumbs up link to zune market place
first of all nice application!

can you please tell me how to get the link to the application in marketplace once the application is uploaded. The only way i thought to view the application is search in zune software.

Thanks.
3rd February 2011, 11:43 AM   |  #8  

1,304 posts
Thanks.
I got that problem too. First thing I did was trying to get something out of the assembly, but right in the middle of it I discovered the appropriate command.
I'm on the wrong computer now and can't remember what it is, but I think it's something that sound like OpenMarketPlacePage. If I remember correctly, you don't need to get the id, call the link, etc.
4th February 2011, 03:17 PM   |  #9  

1,304 posts
Version 1.3 with german localization
I've just pushed the update to 1.3 to the testing process. Besides adding localization for our german friends (who apparently couldn't understand what the application does), there are some interface tweaks.

Most importantly, I've found out that connecting the phone to Zune has the effect of resetting the media volume to 100% and keeping it there while connected.

Regarding managing other volumes, at the moment I can't see a way. I guess there are three volumes at least: device (main), in-call, and media volume.
5th February 2011, 05:25 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 0

11 posts
thanks....

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
background music, media player, volume, zune
Previous Thread Next Thread